TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Jo and I will be going on the 22nd and the 23rd. A Thursday and Friday. Will kids be in school then?

What are the best places to eat at?

I haven't been in 3-4 years...any rides lost their touch/gotten rough? Suggestions on where to ride which rides?

I dont remember the name of the restaraunt but it is on the main midway, and I think not far from Raptor (could a local please confirm the name and location?), but they have an awesome buffet! To me thats all I need to hear lol! When I go back it is where I will dine again.

Jo and I will be going on the 22nd and the 23rd. A Thursday and Friday. Will kids be in school then?

What are the best places to eat at?

I haven't been in 3-4 years...any rides lost their touch/gotten rough? Suggestions on where to ride which rides?

I dont remember the name of the restaraunt but it is on the main midway, and I think not far from Raptor (could a local please confirm the name and location?), but they have an awesome buffet! To me thats all I need to hear lol! When I go back it is where I will dine again.

Midway Market I believe....and yes it is good.....for park standards.

If you have a car you should leave the park and eat at one of the many decent chain places on the main drag. If you want to stay on the peninsula I would head to Famous Dave's, Tomo Hibachi, Friday's or Perkins to eat. If you're looking for something fast, we found that the pizza and bread sticks near the water rides was pretty decent for park food.

Do NOT go to Subway by the Antique Cars because you will ripped off.

This. I think I paid over $17 for a 6" club, chips, and a drink. Completely ridiculous. But I didn't want to eat something heavy, and I didn't want to keep walking around the park to try to find a better option, so it was what it was.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone! Yeah that's unfortunate about the food...I know there's one place at Kings Island where you can get 15 wings for 9 bucks. It's a STEAL for not having to leave the park. And it's in the beer garden.

Can't wait to ride some Intamin rides.

I dont get the price of food at Theme Parks (most Theme Parks). Its completely ridiculous and as for SFStL the quality of the food is horrible! I dont think I've ever ate at another SF park, except SFMM at the Mooseburger Lodge, which was actually really good. The Buffet at CP was really good too, but I dont remember the price (I have not been to CP since 2004, unfortunately).

Good Pizza, burgers, salad bar, taco/nacho stuff, pasta fixin's, meatloaf, fried chicken mashed potatoes and gravy, mini corn dogs, smiley fries, good mac n cheese, had some decent pulled pork the last time we were there also. Made sandwiches out of that. If you leave hungry, thats your own fault!

If you don't want to leave the park, the Game Day Grille by Blue Streak is also pretty good.

Game Day Grille

Stop by the Game Day Grille for some of your favorite sports on TV, combined with a fun, clubhouse atmosphere. Located near the Blue Streak.

Serving pulled pork sandwiches, lobster bisque, macho nachos, fries, perch sandwiches, chili, salads, appetizers & soft drinks.

If you have a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass, you can get a whole bunch of discounts on food and lots of other stuff at the park:

Food Deals

* Buy two hot dogs on-a-stick or cheese on-a-stick and receive two regular soft drinks FREE at Corral, Happy Friar, Dragon’s Inn, or GateKeeper Refreshments.

* Buy a Coasters Classic and receive a regular order of fries FREE at Coasters.

* Buy a chili cheese fry and receive a regular order of fries and two regular soft drinks FREE at out fresh cut fry locations (Hot Potato, Mr. Potato, or Happy Friar).

* Buy a half-dozen assorted cookies for only $6 at CJ’s Provisions.

* Buy a macho nacho at Los Gatos and receive a taco and regular soft drink FREE.

* Buy one pound of taffy at Sweets n’ Treats and receive a half pound FREE.

* Buy any premium hot dog at Pink’s and receive a regular soft drink for FREE.

* Buy two entrees at Chuckwagon and receive two regular soft drinks for FREE.

* But two stuffed filled pretzels at Pretzel Fillers or Gazebo and receive two free regular soft drinks for FREE.

* Buy two hot dogs at Corral or Grandstand Refreshments and receive two bags of potato chips for FREE.

* Buy a brat or hot dog combo at the Hot Dog or Brat Cart and receive one hot dog or brat for FREE.

Check out the 2013 Platinum Pass Perks website:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/season-passes

And the sweet-looking pdf file:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/images/uploads/file/Platinum%20Pass%20Perks.pdf

^ Some local schools start late August, so you may have decent crowds. Thursdays are okay, but Fridays can get moderately busy (1-1 1/2 hours on big coasters). If you plan on getting FL+, get it Friday for sure.

Pinks is expensive, but good. If you want a decent deal on pizza, my favorite is the place right by Snake River Falls' exit (I think it's called something like Frontier Refreshments?). Do NOT go to Subway by the Antique Cars because you will ripped off.

Mean Streak (but that's a given) and Draggin' Iron are lame, but everything else is running smoothly/normally. Make sure to ride Blue Streak because its definitely running really well. If you plan on staying at a CP resort, use the early entry on Gatekeeper once, and then head to Millennium and Maverick. Once the park opens, hit Dragster as that line stays pretty much the same all day (may shorten out early evening). I'd reccomend front row on everything except Dragster and Millie at night due to the bugs. Seat 1-3 on Magnum is considered legendary to some enthusiasts and I can verify some pretty intense (almost painful) ejector airtime on it.

Hope this helps!

The subway is near Cadillac Cars, not Antique Cars, right?

I think the cheese fries are under-rated at CP (Potato Patch, Happy Friar, etc).

I find them to be every bit as good as the one's I have had at Potato Patch at Kennywood, which seems to receive more accolades. I can go without eating at the park with the only exception being that we always have to get an order of cheese fries at some point during our visit!

So I have a question, i will be going to halloweekends either the 1st or the 4th week if october and I was just wondering if it woukd be better to go on a friday and saturday with fast lane or a friday and sunday. I know saturdays are crazy so any help would be great.

So I have a question, i will be going to halloweekends either the 1st or the 4th week if october and I was just wondering if it woukd be better to go on a friday and saturday with fast lane or a friday and sunday. I know saturdays are crazy so any help would be great.

General rule of thumb when looking for lighter crowds, Sunday > Friday > Saturday. If you have FL/FLP it doesnt really matter unless you plan on marathoning Wicked Twister or something

General rule of thumb when looking for lighter crowds, Sunday > Friday > Saturday. If you have FL/FLP it doesnt really matter unless you plan on marathoning Wicked Twister or something

That's definitely true, the length of the lines on the fast lane rides doesn't matter, the wait is the same for you, unless its shorter, but just try to do the rides that you don't get FLP on first.

So, apparently, Iron Dragon has only been running 2 trains. This isn't the sad part. The sad part is why, according to PointBuzz-

The rumor is that the 3rd train has been ditched because too many guests complained that they felt hurried when loading onto the ride.

from user Lowkae.

Somebody said (obviously sarcastically) that they can't wait that until this happens to Magnum. My response - that would make me a saaaaad panda.

^^ I'm not terribly surprised by that sentiment. I worked at ID a few times last summer and it's damn near impossible for the average guest to figure out how to sit down and pull down the restraint in the 30 seconds that ride has for its interval. So many of them were confused that they had to take their bags with them and whatnot. It's unfortunate that people-eaters like Arrows can actually be considered "too efficient" for guests these days.

Avoid Saturdays at all costs. I made the mistake of visiting on a Saturday in Halloweekends and it was packed (Quite a few years before Fast Lane). I'd still take Friday and Sunday with FL+ on at least one of those days if that's an financial option for you.

^Agreed.

I have never been to Halloweekends on a Saturday when it hasn't had close to a full parking lot & full queues on most of the major coasters. I would definitely recommend springing for the FL or skip the park altogether on that day.

I have had lots of luck visiting on Friday nights with light lines (with the exception of the haunts) & Sunday's are usually pretty dead too.

So, apparently, Iron Dragon has only been running 2 trains. This isn't the sad part. The sad part is why, according to PointBuzz-

The rumor is that the 3rd train has been ditched because too many guests complained that they felt hurried when loading onto the ride.

from user Lowkae.

Somebody said (obviously sarcastically) that they can't wait that until this happens to Magnum. My response - that would make me a saaaaad panda.

Ahhh... brings me back to the days I worked on a manual Blue Streak. The bell would ring and the train had to go, "one way or another." It was like a circus sometimes .... "MY SEAT BELT - MY SEAT BELT" some would yell as the train was rolling out of the station; sometimes with us riding the running boards to fasten seat belts (and then jump off at the base of the lift).

People were "tougher" back then, and less complain-y about being rushed... there were no queue gates in the park, and people were generally better behaved, and took more responsibility for themselves.

It was in the "transition years" where doing old school stuff (like riding the running boards to cram down bars or fasten seatbelts - AND - announcing "the seat belts are optional, you do not have to use them") was slowly becoming a no-no and stricter operational rules started applying. Operational "grey areas" eventually became black and white/yes and no. I'm grateful to have experienced that, good times. In the following years, people started complaining about seat belts and being rushed... goodbye manual operation

^It's a blessing AND a curse. A curse because it's very difficult to not get frustrated when you watch park operations (at many parks) now. All the empty seats, the stacking trains, the song and dance "take 5" before a train can go. The COMPLETE stop before a train can come down the final brakes... it all seems so ridiculous.