TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So this is where I need all your help... What airline(s) are inexpensive to fly to Sandusky/Cleveland area from L.A., any hotel recommendations around the area that aren't too expensive, are there any buses and/or shuttles to the park or should I get a rental car, how's the weather around that time of year, what crowds should we expect and any other advice you can give a couple of westcoasters heading to the eastern U.S. of A.??? Thanks everyone in advance!

I just did a return visit to Cedar Point from LA last month since 1997, I think. Whenever they added the trim brake on Mantis. Anyway, I didn't want to spend forever traveling, so United it was as it's the only non stop flight. 4.5 hours compared to 7ish at best. It wasn't that much more to justify waiting around in another airport. Although, the flights aren't cheap. Cleveland isn't a vacation destination or at the least popular like Chicago, New York, etc. I booked way late and paid for it, but didn't care. It could have been as low as $350 when I originally started looking.

I did stay at Maui Sands. When we drove up, after passing some other decent looking hotels, I was not impressed by the outer shell. Still wasn't too impressed by the front desk area. But, the room was great. Comfy bed, really clean, large, I had the "family room". I think it's the smallest of their rooms. With 2 bunk beds for kids and a privacy door. Also small fridge and microwave. Walmart is across the street so we saved on snacks and drinks there.

Definitely had to rent a car to get there and into the park. Maui Sands is something like 5-6 miles away from Cedar Point.

Some stuff I will do different next year.

get flight earlier, duh.

buy platinum pass at Knott's before. I contemplated it, but was on the budget and some tickets on ebay was still a good savings. If it were earlier in the year, I wouldn't have hesitated.

I'd like to go for 3 days instead of 2. We were a bit rushed to get in as much as we wanted. Fastlane is a must, imo.

Oh, and most of all..Top Thrill Dragster front row just after the sun goes down in July, big no no.

I think he must have looked at all the other roller-coasters in cedar point and noticed they already have groupies and went looking for the ugly girl sitting crying in the corner alone.

Lol awesome thought!

So this is where I need all your help... What airline(s) are inexpensive to fly to Sandusky/Cleveland area from L.A., any hotel recommendations around the area that aren't too expensive, are there any buses and/or shuttles to the park or should I get a rental car, how's the weather around that time of year, what crowds should we expect and any other advice you can give a couple of westcoasters heading to the eastern U.S. of A.??? Thanks everyone in advance!

I just did a return visit to Cedar Point from LA last month since 1997, I think. Whenever they added the trim brake on Mantis. Anyway, I didn't want to spend forever traveling, so United it was as it's the only non stop flight. 4.5 hours compared to 7ish at best. It wasn't that much more to justify waiting around in another airport. Although, the flights aren't cheap. Cleveland isn't a vacation destination or at the least popular like Chicago, New York, etc. I booked way late and paid for it, but didn't care. It could have been as low as $350 when I originally started looking.

I did stay at Maui Sands. When we drove up, after passing some other decent looking hotels, I was not impressed by the outer shell. Still wasn't too impressed by the front desk area. But, the room was great. Comfy bed, really clean, large, I had the "family room". I think it's the smallest of their rooms. With 2 bunk beds for kids and a privacy door. Also small fridge and microwave. Walmart is across the street so we saved on snacks and drinks there.

Definitely had to rent a car to get there and into the park. Maui Sands is something like 5-6 miles away from Cedar Point.

Some stuff I will do different next year.

get flight earlier, duh.

buy platinum pass at Knott's before. I contemplated it, but was on the budget and some tickets on ebay was still a good savings. If it were earlier in the year, I wouldn't have hesitated.

I'd like to go for 3 days instead of 2. We were a bit rushed to get in as much as we wanted. Fastlane is a must, imo.

Oh, and most of all..Top Thrill Dragster front row just after the sun goes down in July, big no no.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to keep shopping around but I would rather pay for a faster and direct flight than one that has a stop(s). And why no Top Thrill Dragster, front row, after the sun goes down??? lol

I saw that United Flight when I was booking mine from california, but it was about $600 each way non stop from SFO to CLE, whereas the Southwest flight from SMF-MDW-CLE was $410 round trip with only a 90 min layover. If it was a $50 or maybe $100 difference Id just pay for the convenience but when its several hundred dollars difference, its not worth it for a couple hours.

I can actually fly non-rev through my work which is $90 round trip on Southwest but flying standby with multiple stops is a risk I didnt want to take. Worst case I get stuck in Chicago and don't even make it to Cedar Point at all. For the confirmed seat and guarantee that Ill make it, for that Ill pay an extra $300.

We usually fly Northwest to Detroit Metro airport from Phoenix. It's about 1 hour 45 minutes away from Cedar Point.

Another popular motel that is cheap and has nice rooms is the Maples Motel. It's a family run motel but a little close to the train tracks. We've also stayed at the South Shore Inn as we need a double room since we have 3 kids. The room are pretty spacious and the price is pretty decent.

Jim

We usually fly Northwest to Detroit Metro airport from Phoenix. It's about 1 hour 45 minutes away from Cedar Point.

Northwest merged with Delta a few years ago, so the same flight you remember is now a Delta flight. I imagine it's not too bad of a drive from DTW, I know it is about 2 hours from Ann Arbor, so your estimate sounds about right.

CP got rid of Disaster Transport, Space Spiral, and Wildcat. Meanwhile, Man Streak got re-tracked.

I understand that people were and still are upset about them removing the Space Spiral, but Wildcat and Disaster Transport are not exciting rides. At least Mean Streak is somewhat thrilling, not very though.

any hotel recommendations around the area that aren't too expensive

My advice is to stay at Breakers Express. The rates really aren't too bad, it's Clean, Comfortable, and close to the park. You will also receive 1 hour of extra ride time in the morning if you stay there, on select rides.

If you can swing it, I strongly recommend Hotel Breakers, even in the Bon Aire section (older and slightly cheaper). There is just simply nothing better than having your hotel within about 300 feet walking distance to an entrance of the park. And if you're planning multiple days, I really strongly suggest it! (and get a Fast Lane pass!)

I saw that United Flight when I was booking mine from california, but it was about $600 each way non stop from SFO to CLE, whereas the Southwest flight from SMF-MDW-CLE was $410 round trip with only a 90 min layover. If it was a $50 or maybe $100 difference Id just pay for the convenience but when its several hundred dollars difference, its not worth it for a couple hours.

I can actually fly non-rev through my work which is $90 round trip on Southwest but flying standby with multiple stops is a risk I didnt want to take. Worst case I get stuck in Chicago and don't even make it to Cedar Point at all. For the confirmed seat and guarantee that Ill make it, for that Ill pay an extra $300.

I was looking to do something similar, but from Atlanta. It's only $400 round trip from Atlanta to Cleveland, which seems reasonable.

any hotel recommendations around the area that aren't too expensive

My advice is to stay at Breakers Express. The rates really aren't too bad, it's Clean, Comfortable, and close to the park. You will also receive 1 hour of extra ride time in the morning if you stay there, on select rides.

If you can swing it, I strongly recommend Hotel Breakers, even in the Bon Aire section (older and slightly cheaper). There is just simply nothing better than having your hotel within about 300 feet walking distance to an entrance of the park. And if you're planning multiple days, I really strongly suggest it! (and get a Fast Lane pass!)

Thanks Robb! I really don't want to drive form Cleveland to Sandusky so I'm pretty sure we'll stay at a hotel close to the park. I will for sure look into that!

I never bought a Fast Lane pass but because I want to get the most out of our trip I'm pretty sure we'll get one for that day. Thank you for that reminder!

And why no Top Thrill Dragster, front row, after the sun goes down??? lol

546791_10151703754454174_1478761851_n.jpg

this is after I got back to the hotel and had already washed my face, hands, neck, etc. at the park. LOL my neck and hands were covered.

Got it! My wife would not like that one bit!!!

I was looking to do something similar, but from Atlanta. It's only $400 round trip from Atlanta to Cleveland, which seems reasonable.

^$400 round trip ATL/CLE is NOT a good deal. Please keep looking.

For example, we paid $400 for MCO - HOU, CLE - MCO in the peak summer season.

Yeah SMF to CLE is a pretty expensive route. Lucky me. For ATL to CLE using the same airline and fare class it would be about $241. Also I just noticed I put "each way" up there for the United flight..to be accurate its $580 round trip.

Jo and I will be going on the 22nd and the 23rd. A Thursday and Friday. Will kids be in school then?

What are the best places to eat at?

I haven't been in 3-4 years...any rides lost their touch/gotten rough? Suggestions on where to ride which rides?

^ Some local schools start late August, so you may have decent crowds. Thursdays are okay, but Fridays can get moderately busy (1-1 1/2 hours on big coasters). If you plan on getting FL+, get it Friday for sure.

Pinks is expensive, but good. If you want a decent deal on pizza, my favorite is the place right by Snake River Falls' exit (I think it's called something like Frontier Refreshments?). Do NOT go to Subway by the Antique Cars because you will ripped off.

Mean Streak (but that's a given) and Draggin' Iron are lame, but everything else is running smoothly/normally. Make sure to ride Blue Streak because its definitely running really well. If you plan on staying at a CP resort, use the early entry on Gatekeeper once, and then head to Millennium and Maverick. Once the park opens, hit Dragster as that line stays pretty much the same all day (may shorten out early evening). I'd reccomend front row on everything except Dragster and Millie at night due to the bugs. Seat 1-3 on Magnum is considered legendary to some enthusiasts and I can verify some pretty intense (almost painful) ejector airtime on it.

Hope this helps!