TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

What a tragic evening! Having said that, have we confirmed that the StR boat actually "flipped?" If it had, I would have expected the injuries to be more severe. Given that only one StR rider was transported to the hospital, it doesn't sound all that horrible...

How could the anti-rollback mechanism and chain lift fail at the same time?

A statement from Cedar Point, relayed by the Sandusky Register:

On Friday, July 19 at 6:42 p.m., ride operators stopped the Shoot the Rapids ride after a boat rolled back down the lift hill. Cedar Point Police, EMS staff, ride operators and several park guests immediately responded and helped passengers exit the boat. All seven guests on the boat were transported to Cedar Point’s First Aid Station. Six of the guests were evaluated and treated by Cedar Point EMS Staff and released. One guest was transported to Firelands Regional Medical Center in Sandusky, Ohio, for additional evaluation. The safety of our guests is our number one priority.

Cedar Point officials are currently investigating the incident and have reported it to state of Ohio officials. Shoot the Rapids will remain closed until park officials and inspectors from the state of Ohio complete their review. No further information is available at this time.

What a tragic evening! Having said that, have we confirmed that the StR boat actually "flipped?" If it had, I would have expected the injuries to be more severe. Given that only one StR rider was transported to the hospital, it doesn't sound all that horrible...

How could the anti-rollback mechanism and chain lift fail at the same time?

There is a photo of the boat on it's side.

I was watching POV's of the ride. The anti rollbacks are not engaged when traveling the lift hill. Only when cresting did I hear the anti rollbacks.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shCyUzTqdto

^^I've read about this before but don't think I'll be able to explain it as well, I think a lot of modern day Intamin lift hills have a fin running along next to the anti-rollbacks, it creates some sort of a current that holds up the rollback "dogs" or whatever (really digging into my childhood nerd here), and only when the car stopped or slowed, like if it was going backward, would they come down and catch onto the ratchets. It gets rid of all the noise. Apparently something didn't work right this time.

It's interesting (and makes me feel a bit better) to see that a lot of you share my same belief on not riding those really restrictive water rides. It even freaks me out a bit being on coasters over water!

But wouldn't that be like not wanting to wear a seat belt in a car because in would hinder your escape in the event of a crash (I realize seat belts are more easily unlocked, of course, but still)? If water rides didn't have such high grade restraints, couldn't someone be worse off in any sort of accident? If this were to somehow happen on a traditional log flume, for example, wouldn't riders be flung from the boat when it tips over, potentially flying into the surrounding fiberglass / concrete and sustaining worse injuries?

(Thanks to you, now I won't be able to board a water ride without having fear of being trapped by the restraints in some sort of incident! haha)

^ I think what she's trying to say is that it's sort of like that girl who survived the plane crash, but then was run over and killed by the emergency rescue vehicle heading to the scene.

It would be horrible to survive an accident on a ride, only be killed by drowning because you were restrained in a vehicle beyond your control.

Wow, crazy day for amusement park accidents. Can't even imagine how terrifying it would be on a ride flipped over in water and you're pinned inside. Kudos to the people who reacted and helped because if they didn't act quickly, who knows what could've happened.

What is going on tonight?!?!?!?!?! Jeeze!

Mercury is retrograde. So... Maybe?

Elissa your fear isn't exactly irrational. I think most of the deaths on water rides is because people can't get out, but it also has happened with seatbelt a that people have been unable to release when in a panic.

I was at the park today and I didn't even hear any commotion. I actually rode the water rides and stopped around 5:15 to do other things. We didn't ride STR because, believe it or not, it had the longest wait in the park (Maverick also was about 45 minutes tops).

Other than my short stint in the frontier trail, the only time I passed by was on the train at around 5:45 give or take 10 minutes. I must have just missed the incident. Last time I saw it I was waving at two young girls enjoying themselves in the front seat.

Throughout the rest of the day I did see a few medical vehicles but I thought it was normal because it was such a hot day. I was in Vegas and Texas these last few weeks and I'm shocked to honestly say that Northern Ohio feels the hottest. Honestly I wasn't even aware of the accident until I got home and went on this website. I wish I could be more of a help as a primary source but I missed the action.

I hope everybody is okay.

As a side note, CP added this Coke "SwelterStopper" party room thing where they give it free cokes. There are also games, photobooths, and other things. Most importantly it is airconditioned. It's like a mini dance club, and is located right in front of Wicked Twister.

Praying for those involved. Crazy day before I embark on my Midwest trip (including CP tomorrow and SFOT next week). STR was the only thing I haven't ridden other than Gatekeeper. Maybe this'll keep crowds a tad bit lighter tomorrow? One can hope, eh?

^^If the way that's reported is true, that's almost worse than the Texas Giant accident!!!

Do we have any more details on this?

It also confirms my not so irrational fear that I don't like to ride water rides with restraints that I can't get out of on my own.

I'm right there with you. I get quite a bit scared going on water rides where you can't release yourself.

This sounds terrifying. I am praying for everyone involved and am glad that there were some good people to help them. Maybe Intamin will have to redesign the individual lap bars on STR, Girrafica, and Divertical.

I don't think it's an issue on Girrafica and Divertical as they use elevator lifts, so rollbacks can't happen. Well, they can happen on Divertical during the coaster section but since the boat is on tracks it cant capsize.

I know the water rides on the Frontier Trail open late and close early, but it just seems like StR is almost always closed for one reason or another when we walk by it - perhaps it's just coincidence?

I have ridden this a grand total of two times since it was built and while I loved the idea of a family water ride, it almost seems like they could have just built an old school revival of White Water Landing (old-school logs and belt lifts) and it would have been just as good, less expensive & (probably) more reliable.