TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Question about early entry for Platinum Passholders. Where and how do they check? I know they let everyone in early up to a certain roped off line, do they just glance at the pass? I have a Plat. Pass my buddy just has the regular season pass but my gf has the Platinum and is not going. Trying to make something work here!

I'm not home right now, and can just check in the morning but one last question. Is your name printed on the front? I can't seem to remember. Thanks!

No but your name is signed on the back. They take your photo when you buy the pass and although they don't put your photo on the pass like Six Flags, when they scan your pass at the entrance it shows the employee your photo on their screen so they can see if you're the right person.

Ok, so I went to Cedar Point for the first time on Monday and half a day on Tuesday, and I've got to say that this place is the most amazing place I've ever been too! I got a decent amount of rides in: Millennium Force(2) this is my all time favorite roller coaster ever!, Maverick(2) really enjoyed this the airtime and launch on this is great!, Top Thrill Dragster(1) this broke down a lot on Monday so I had to ride it first thing on Tuesday, it's such a rush! I really enjoyed all 17 seconds of it. Gemini(5) I love this ride! It's Cedar Points most memorable attraction when people give high-fives around the turns, I loved it!, Magnum xl 200(2) little bumpy but was still a good roller coaster! Iron Dragon(1) had my hopes up for this, but sadly they were not achieved, still a relaxing ride when rode in the back., Corkscrew(1) this wasn't as rough as people made it out to be, but still didn't care for it after the first time., Mantis(1) never riding this again! I really like Georgia Scorcher but this was ridiculously uncomfortable, there was probably a reason why it was a walk on every time I walked by it, Mean Streak(1) nowhere near as bad as what people have said it is, it's just really Boeing and bumpy.,Wicked Twister(2) I loved this ride! It was such an incredible rush, the launch was very intense which I liked very much!, Gatekeeper(1 on right side) I was not very impressed with this, I was hoping I'd like it better than Wild Eagle, but there was really nothing to exciting about it, Raptor(1) this was my very first ride at Cedar Point an I really enjoyed it, it's not my favorite B&M invert Dragon Challenge is still my favorite, but it's better than the Batman clones at Six Flags in my opinion. Cedar Creek mine ride(1) I liked SFOG mine train roller coaster a lot better, this was just uncomfortable. Wasn't able to ride Blue Streak, Gemini Jr. Or Woodstock express sadly. I also rode several flat rides like Wind-seeker, Max-Air, and the Enterprise all if which I enjoyed very much! Over all Cedar Point is a very fun place to visit and I'm already planing my trip for next year!

I too went to Cedar Point this weekend fr the first time, however, I didnt think it was the best park ever. Some rides were awesome like Maverick, Dragster, Millennium Force, and Gatekeeper. But then some were just a lot of fun like Magnum and Wicked Twister. But then the rest were pretty forgettable or downright bad, mainly Mantis, Mean Streak, and Corkscrew. I understand the importance of the park, but it felt more like a giant Dorney to me than anything. I would go back definitely, but given the distance it wont be a while.

I too went made my first trip to Cedar Point, I was there Thursday and Friday July 11-12. Being from Texas I am very used to Six Flags parks, only being to one cedar fair park (Carowinds) and then Disney World and Universal in Orlando. Cedar Point was WAY better than I had ever imagined the park. Arriving there two hours after the park opened it was amazing driving around Perimeter Road seeing the great park skyline and having Millennium Force blast past the car at 93 mph. We checked into Hotel Breakers to drop our stuff off in the room and pick up our ticekts. I was shocked at how loud Top Thrill Dragster was, from our hotel room it sounded like a jet airplane taking off next to the hotel. We entered by Magnum, and decided that would make for a good first ride at the point. Jumped on the third row, front car, and I loved the ride. Lots of airtime, (my uncle got a bruise from the lap bar) and plenty of speed. This ride has lasted and is a great hyper coaster. For the second coaster at the park, and my 50th coaster ever, we headed to Top Thrill Dragster. The numerous pictures and videos of this ride really don't capture how powerful and intimidating the ride is. I LOVED the ride and if it weren't for the hour line I would have jumped back in line to feel the rush that 120mph brings to you. We jumped over to Gatekeeper, which was fun but Iron Rattler (possibly Outlaw Run) should win the Golden Ticket for new Coaster. We got in Iron Dragon (fun for the family), Mantis (nowhere near as bad as people make it, straining on the legs but really fun), Mean Streak (stupidly in the back, not as bad as the old Texas Giant but rough), Raptor, Blue Streak, and Millennium Force (at night). I loved Millennium Force, my new number one coaster, nothing beats the speed, height, forces, and length of that ride. I wish there was a bit more airtime but other than that it was a GREAT ride. The second day we started with two rides on Maverick as it was a walk on and while is was a fun extreme ride, I prefered the speed and height of Millie. In the second day we finished off the coasters of the point managed a few repeat rides and then MaxAir, SkyHawk, and Shoot the Rapids. I can not wait to get back to the park. Operations were insanely efficient, like nowhere else on earth, the park was spotlessly clean, and filled with helpful employees. I only wish we could have stayed longer as there were so many rides that I wanted to do but we had to get back to Chicago. My ride rankings in the park: Millennium, Top Thrill, Maverick, Magnum, Gatekeeper, Wicked Twister, Gemini, Blue Streak, Raptor, Mantis, Corkscrew, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, Mean Streak

Has anybody noticed that GK is a bit bumpy and clicky for a new ride? Like it vibrates. Quite a bit. To the point where my friend (and this should be taken with a reasonable amount of sodium chloride) thinks the vibration is worse than Gemini.

Yeah I felt the vest tighten as well, I didn't know this was a big issue though, I thought it was just something that happened.

Has anybody noticed that GK is a bit bumpy and clicky for a new ride? Like it vibrates. Quite a bit. To the point where my friend (and this should be taken with a reasonable amount of sodium chloride) thinks the vibration is worse than Gemini.

Yeah but that's because of the design of the trains, the vibrations you feel are the seats actually vibrating due to the forces, it's the biggest one they have made so far by a lot so they need to modify the trains potentially to stop the vibrations.

Just got back from the POINT! lol.

Wow, what an amazing trip.

First off, I have been going to CP since 85 kind of a fan. This trip was to ride all of the stuff that I used to ride when I was younger. Got most of it in, Cadillac cars, Cedar Downs, Mine Ride, Corkscrew, Mantis and Turnpike Cars. Had a hell of a lot of fun.

Mantis - not as bad as everyone says, people make it out to be the worst coaster ever invented, it is not.

Corkscrew - again, not the worst thing.

Mean Streak - I love the structure, other than that, ride BLOWS. Rode in the 2nd car. Felt super slow. Also, WTF is up with everyone complaining about how bumpy it is? I thought it was right up there with The Beast. IMO Blue Streak is WAY worse then Mean Streak.

As for the Mecca Motel it wasn't that bad. It was clean, the A/C worked and it was $35 a night. The shower head was really low so that made for some interesting showers. For some reason the toilet took forever to fill. Will stay here again. Would recommend also. Want to save $$$ stay at Mecca.

I won one of the tweetups at CP also. Got front of the line passes for MF!!!

Used them for the front row. Wow, still prefer the backseat but the front is a must ride.

Here are some pic's/vid's from the trip.

Just got back from the POINT!

Nice pictures, and nice to see the skip-the-line passes!

Curious -- where was this picture taken from?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/wingless92/2013-07-16145319-Copy_zps5fcb8d12.jpg

Thanks!

I should say that I threw my iPhone in the air and then magically hit the shutter button but, lol, it was taken from the Giant Wheel. Didn't have my DSLR on me so iPhone photo's were the only ones that I took.

Does anyone know why the restraints get so tight during the ride? It really hurt my chest and made it hard for me to breathe when we hit the brake run.

I rode twice and neither time did mine get tight. but then again I also do not hold on which would pull the restraint tighter.

102 at the point yesterday = nobody there. Seemed like most of the crowd gave in to the heat (as did we in a way leaving around 6:30). Dragster went down in the late afternoon, not sure how long before it came back up. Snake River Falls and SkyHawk were closed all day , curious if SNF is down because of the incident not too long ago where they only loaded the back of the boat and it jumped the rails. To me it seems like common sense not to load a boat like that, so who knows how the employees let that one slip.

Greyed out on MF after the first turnaround until just after the tunnel, most likely happened because I was somewhat dehydrated plus we sat in the very last row. A lot of times I get a few spots but this was just about full grey-out. Fun ride but still put Maverick at the top spot at the point followed by Dragster for the insane thrill of that launch.

I still like GateKeeper, especially in the front, which we did both rides one on each side. It's just that second half is a little bit of a snooze. I hold out the vest so no complaints in the restraint department.

15-30 minute lines on everything. It was glorious. The heat though, not so glorious...tinkering with unbearable for us in-shape 20-somethings.

Headed to the park tomorrow, and am worried about crowds. I haven't been there in three years, so I'm wondering if the "game plan" for riding the most coasters has changed with the addition of Gatekeeper. Should we still try to hit Maverick first thing, or does Gatekeeper take that spot?

I would still go for Maverick because Gatekeeper's line moves quickly and doesn't usually get over an hour or hour and a half. But that was just from when I was there. Maybe someone who went more recently could give you a better idea.

^^Thanks, yeah that's what I suspected.

^I saw the forecast of morning storms, I'm hoping it keeps the crowds relatively light. Even if it is really crowded, maybe I'll be able to snag some post-storm rides when they reopen.

Oh and one more question: I've only spent two days at the park in the past and have never actually used the back entrance. Is it open to anybody with regular tickets, and what is the parking situation back there?