TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Is "Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky Park N Entrance" a good place to stay if i want to visit the Point?

If you're looking for a cheap hotel off the peninsula, I highly recommend the Maples Motel. Its an old-fashioned roadside motel run by a nice family who take good care of it. It is on the more rural side of town, but is just as close to the park as anything on 250. The "back entrance" to the park is right next door which allows for a bit easier drive over in the morning.

http://maplesmotel.com/

Gemini - I LOVE this coaster!!! I love the lay out and that it is not rough at all - at least in my opinion. I also enjoyed that so many people played along with reaching out to the other train. My favorite drop is near the middle of the ride.
This times 10000. This is the hidden gem of the park, with Blue Streak falling right behind.

Thanks VGplay and AndrewRnR for your replies.

I be spending the whole day in the park, so basically the hotel will be just for washing up and rest.

And since i am travelling alone, my budget is tight for this trip.

I will be heading to CP from Chicago that afternoon. I am intending to rent a car to drive from O'hare.

Anyone else heading to the Point from Chicago?

I've always enjoyed Magnum. The airtime is great! You're right with the comments about when it first opened there was nothing to compare it to - smoothness wise. I love the layout including the bunny (aka: ball buster) hops coming in. If they would work on or replace the trains that would be perfect IMO. The seats need padding, so it's not so painful. I don't have a lot of that (padding) on me. Also little more room beneath the lap-bar would aid the boarding process. Not much space between the bar and your thighs when you're getting in. I'm a small guy, so I can't imagine what it's like for larger people (ACERS)?

We stayed at the Mecca Motel - $55 a night on Priceline. It is literally 5 minutes from the park on Cleveland Road. WAY cheaper then staying at any Cedar Point hotel. Plus we still got in an hour early because of having platinum passes.

Was it is extremely dated and in desperate need of a makeover? Yes. But we were just sleeping and showering there, not spending ample amounts of time there at all.

^ I always wondered about Maples and Mecca, but never dared stay there - it sounds like they are clean, adequate and reasonably priced so I may look into that during our next trip out. Thanks for sharing the reviews!

I have stayed at the Quality Inn where the Thirsty Pony is and the room was crap for the $120+ they charged per night. Stained carpets, plaster peeling off...pretty shady & disgusting.

We stayed at the Best Western in Port Clinton this past weekend on the 4th. I had a $200 gift card and the first night (July 3rd) was $90+ and the second night (July 5th) was a whopping $165...and the woman at the desk said that they had dropped the rates from $185! Yikes!

Breakers Express on a Friday and Saturday night three weeks ago cost us $313.52 - not necessarily cheap by any means, but certainly more reasonable than the Breakers or Sandcastle.

I stayed at the Maples in May for 3 nights (opening weekend). If you don't mind the noise from the trains (they do not bother me), it's a great stay for the price (I paid $38/night) Very nice people running it.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Trying to contact Maples Motel for the rooms availability.

I stayed at the Maples in May for 3 nights (opening weekend). If you don't mind the noise from the trains (they do not bother me), it's a great stay for the price (I paid $38/night) Very nice people running it.

Hey firewalk13, did you call in to reserve the rooms or via email?

Which way is better to drive to the point? Cedar Point drive or Cedar Point Rd?

Which way is better to drive to the point? Cedar Point drive or Cedar Point Rd?

I asked that same question, then VGplay posted this:

If you're looking for a cheap hotel off the peninsula, I highly recommend the Maples Motel. Its an old-fashioned roadside motel run by a nice family who take good care of it. It is on the more rural side of town, but is just as close to the park as anything on 250. The "back entrance" to the park is right next door which allows for a bit easier drive over in the morning.
So I take it that Cedar Point Rd is probably better (I suspected this, I was really more wondering whether it was acceptable to use this road). It sure looks beautiful from what I've seen on Google Street View. What an amazing view to have a house on the road and have the lake view out of both sides of your house.

Me and a buddy have done "races" taking the two routes into the park, going approximately the speed limits posted (the main causeway entrance and the scenic route) and it really just comes down to how many lights you get on the main route... It really is a wash though... Sometimes I won, other times he did. I never had much of a line into the toll booths the main way, and sometimes the back entrance is worse since only one booth. I have been 8-10 cars deep in line at that gate where the main one had a few 2-3 cars, if that.

Never, ever leave that way though on a busy night. The intersection back onto the main road is a nightmare!

Me and a buddy have done "races" taking the two routes into the park, going approximately the speed limits posted (the main causeway entrance and the scenic route) and it really just comes down to how many lights you get on the main route... It really is a wash though... Sometimes I won, other times he did. I never had much of a line into the toll booths the main way, and sometimes the back entrance is worse since only one booth. I have been 8-10 cars deep in line at that gate where the main one had a few 2-3 cars, if that.

Never, ever leave that way though on a busy night. The intersection back onto the main road is a nightmare!

So i presume going into the park in the morning via scenic route, and out via main route is the best arrangement?

I would recommend taking the main route in - it is so iconic that is is something that should be experienced. Unless you go on a Saturday in July/August or between 10-11am you won't find a crazy long line. They usually move people through quickly so I wouldn't worry about traffic and even if you don't have a platinum pass I would still recommend aiming to be parked at 9am anyways so you can get to the gate and be ready to go.

While the "scenic" route is certainly scenic there is nothing too exciting about it... just a bunch of houses along the water. I've been going to the park for over 20 years and maybe have taken that way two or three times. Especially for first timers it is much more exciting to drive across the causeway and see the park across the bay.

Lots of good info. I'll probably take the back road in for my short night trip Saturday night since I'm coming that direction (from Cleveland airport) and then go the main road when I come in for Platinum ERT Sunday morning.

Do you think it would be quicker (less traffic?) to pay the extra $1 and take the turnpike all the way to 250 and take the main road? If it's not significantly quicker then I'll just do the above.

Since alilstronger stayed there I went out on a limb, hopefully it pays off. $35 a night is CHEAP!

I hope you find it decent!!

The people that own the hotel were extremely nice to us. They do not come every day and make the beds/clean the room - they ask us when we checked in if we needed them to. If you need more towels you have to go to the front office which for us was not a big deal. They advertise a pool and mini golf but they do not use the pool and the mini golf is none usable lol.

We were in room 16 and the beds were comfortable, at least in my opinion. One of my blankets had tears in it but the sheets and blankets felt clean and that was all that mattered to me. I always bring febreeze anyway in case I need it. The bathroom was VERY small and the top of the shower was very low, I hit my head on it a couple times getting out. The shower head was very low too but nothing unbearable. Overall the bathroom was clean which was all I was worried about in there.

I called them. The line can be busy sometimes but they do get a lot of inquiries. I booked a room for a night in August when I'll be heading to the point. This time it is/will be $66 for a Friday night which is understandable as it was very early in the season when I stayed there before.

Do you think it would be quicker (less traffic?) to pay the extra $1 and take the turnpike all the way to 250 and take the main road? If it's not significantly quicker then I'll just do the above.

When I go to CP (I live right next to Cleveland-Hopkins), I take I-480 west to the turnpike, then get off the turnpike in Elyria and take Ohio Route 2 the rest of the way. I've never encountered any traffic that route.

I am an avid Cedar Point visitor and most likely wont be able to make it there this year due to having a future coaster rider growing in me. I had gotten a platinum pass for this year and if I dont use it will i be able to use it next year and not pay for a renewal?? Any help would be great.

Go up to Sandusky on Sunday the 14th, staying through the 16th.

Anyone wanna meet up? I'll be there Sunday-Tuesday.

Shoot me a text 317 361 2446

Oh man, i will only reach on the 18th and 19th Jul.

Anyone going on the same dates?