TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I was at the park yesterday and I rode Gatekeeper. I found Gatekeeper very fun & enjoyable, an overall better ride than Wild Eagle, and is now in my top 5 roller coasters.(But I've only rode 17 so far) Magnum XL-200 was awesome even if it gets really bumpy(I got my 10 year old sister in love with roller coasters and got her on this ride.). I loved Raptor, but those inversions are really intense, so I now understand why it gets a 54' height limit. I also rode Gemini, Corkscrew (I still rode it even though my sister chickened out.), Iron Dragon, and a couple of flat rides. Overall I had a really fun time at the park hope to visit again in future after my two trips over the past two years.

^Probably the major factor on why Millennium Force hasn't tossed out anybody is CP making sure everyone is secure. Secondary factor is airtime, which Millennium Force isn't exactly known for.

MF can run fast, and it's first drop is insane in the back on pretty much any ride.

I'm sure many will be happy to know this:

Gatekeeper's restraints are slowly being modified one by one so that the vest does not lock anymore. I'm not sure which ones are already adjusted and which aren't, but it will eventually be all of them.

Happy Thursday!

Was at the Point today. The park wasn't mobbed (i.e. no one was parking on the grass as they have been in 4th of Julys prior), though considering how crummy the weather was today, there were still a ton of people at the park!

A few things about my visit that stand out in my mind:

One, Maverick's line moves painfully slowly... Though only two switchbacks in the uncovered portion of the queue were being used, the line was a full hour and a half. I blame FL. Though the sign mentioned FL having a 30 minute wait, I didn't see anyone waiting more than five or so minutes. It seemed like FL was given half the ride's capacity (i.e. 12 FL-ers let in for every 12 standby guests).

Two, when I rode GK in the back right, the vibration was BAD--perhaps worse than I've ever experienced on a B&M before. What causes this, exactly? Moreover, the ride's lighting system seems to be having issues (or continuing to have issues, rather). Many of the trains' lights were out (including all but one of the red eyes). The LED flood lights on the two keyholes were also completely out (minus one light that would flicker on and off occasionally).

Three, Mean Streak was smooth as glass! I was shocked.

Four, the fireworks were awesome! Really enjoyed the show. It was long and had a lot of cool finale-esque sequences in it.

Five, many of the rides were running at less than full capacity during / before / after periods of rain (for example, Magnum seemed to be running one train at one point). Is this done to prevent trains from crashing into one another when the tracks and brakes are wet so as to hopefully avoid another Magnum-esque accident?

Finally, my cell phone was essentially useless during my visit. Data was totally inaccessible. I'm on Verizon 3G, but LTE friends were having the same issue... What causes this? (Admittedly, I'm not really up on cell phone / Internet technology.)

Had a lot of fun despite the bleak weather and large crowds (which were amplified by a couple of all day breakdowns [e.g. Gemini and Wicked Twister] and other rides running few trains [e.g. Magnum]). Thanks, CP!

^Cant believe you had a smooth as glass ride on Mean Streak! I sat in the front and had a very rough ride.

And yes my AT&T connection was either 1 bar or no connection. But i found that my phone had no connection by TTD(could the magnetic brakes cause that?) while it had 1 or 2 bars in the rest of the park.

Gatekeeper's restraints are slowly being modified one by one so that the vest does not lock anymore. I'm not sure which ones are already adjusted and which aren't, but it will eventually be all of them.

Happy Thursday!

Good to know. They really were quite uncomfortable by the end of the ride.

Happy Thursday!

Glad to see a park is working on a fix for the issue. Lets hope other parks decide to follow if this works out and creates a better ride experience.

-Craig

^ I've been watching the reported wait times on RideHopper and it's been hovering around 45-60 mins most days (shows 50 right now, though its not a typical weekday)

Locals: Is there any advantage to taking either cedar point drive or cedar point road, is either one easier for getting into the parking lots?

When I visited CP June 8/9, I thought Mean streak was smooth. Being from San Antonio, and having ridden Rattler many times as well as Texas Giant before RMC makeovers, I thought MS was a much better ride than both of them before they closed and it was great to ride a large wooden coaster again.

I got my best ride on Gate keeper front left outside seat.

Rode MF 6x and got airtime on each ride.

I too had a problem with the data connection with my AT&T 3G connection in certain areas of the park. However I did have a full Wifi connection at Hotel breakers in my room in the Bon Air section which surprised me since they said there was no Wifi in the rooms.

It's been three years since I've last been to Cedar Point, and I hardly remember every single ride experience that I had in 2010. So, for July 2nd-4th my family and friends went out to Cedar Point for the holiday to ride the coasters and take in the park. After a dull 7 hour drive in the rain, we finally arrived!

In total, the three days there were great, albeit some showers on the Fourth. We got to ride every single ride that we wanted to, got into the park early, visited the water park, and even ate at Famous Dave's in the marina. Below I've included each coaster in alphabetical order with the number of times ridden in parenthesis. I've also added some commentary, and then a final review at the bottom!

Blue Streak (2) - This classic woodie still gives a great ride! The hills are all full of negative G's and floater airtime, and each valley pushes you right into your seat. After 49 years, Blue Streak still gives the same feeling a modern wooden coaster does. I hope to see this ride stick around for many more years to come, as it truly is an iconic ride for the park itself. Very rickety, but very fun.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride (2-3) - Man, does this thing lean! The whole structure moves a good foot when you're watching it off ride. But, it's a great starter coaster for kids. To me it feels a lot like a wild mouse in the curvy parts after each lift hill, then kicks into gear once you drop off down to the water below. It's still fun! (even though I'm in brace position the entire ride...)

Corkscrew (1) - Another classic and iconic attraction for the park. I'm not very large (5'9"), but I had a hard time fitting into this ride and the mine ride above. Transitions into the inversions felt kind of jerky, and the corkscrews were full of "whoa's!" from the group. Only one ride was necessary for this one; we can say we rode it. It seems to be overshadowed by it's bigger brothers, but it still manages to have long waits on occasion.

GateKeeper (5) - I have never ridden a B&M Wing Coaster before, so GateKeeper was my first experience with the wing-over drop and the whole type of wing ride. LOVE IT. It's a very neat idea, and also terrifying to be inverted 170 ft. in the air and hanging out of your seat! I loved every second of it. The Immelman actually offers airtime pulling out of it if seated on the left side, the camel back hill does indeed have airtime, and the flat spin is great on both sides. It really feels like you're sitting on the wing of an airplane. The keyhole zero-g part of the ride is so disorienting and it's all a blur. It goes by so fast your brain doesn't have time to process what's happening! The second zero-g near the towers is much easier to process because you take it so slow, and the hangtime coupled with the towers seeming to hit your head/feet is exceptional. The ending to the ride is kind of dull, but the helix offers a close call with the ground on the left side.

Overall, the left side definitely trumps the right side. The entire experience seems to be better when taken from the left.

Two, when I rode GK in the back right, the vibration was BAD--perhaps worse than I've ever experienced on a B&M before.

When riding in the fourth row on the left side the vibration was really apparent on every single low point of the ride. Anytime we headed downward toward the ground and then back up again, the whole car rattled, and your head felt like it was being shaken up and down like a little kid with a snow globe. Didn't have this rattling in row 2, 3, 6, and 7 on the other rides taken on GateKeeper.

Happy Thursday!

My brother won a front of the line pass for GateKeeper via the Plinko game (he also won another front of the line pass for Millennium; he has all the luck in the family) so we rode in row 2 of the reddish train last night around 11:00 after the fireworks. The restrain didn't hurt nor push down like it did on the four rides before then! Maybe that train was the first one to be modified? I remember screaming "It doesn't hurt!" on the airtime hill and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the ride.

Overall, GK is a great addition to the park. Cannot wait to go back to ride this one again, and hope we get more in the states on the eastern seaboard.

Gemini (4-5) - These racers are really fun! I didn't expect as much airtime as the ride had, but the back and front rows of each car can be a little jarring. The middle is much more comfortable. I suggest front car, middle row on either train. The airtime you get on each hill is amplified from the train pushing you over each one! Good fun with little to no wait!

Iron Dragon (1) - Iron draggin...it's a slow Arrow that is everything that Big Bad Wolf wasn't. My brother thinks it's the s**t and he's 14, and I think it's slow and old. However, since this coaster is a dying breed I can see why they keep it around. It's a good starter for younger ones, and it's great-looking finale over the water is fun to watch.

Magnum XL-200 (6-7) - Magnum is a true airtime classic! The last assortment of hills that end the ride are so awesome, and night rides are a MUST for this ride. You can't tell where the tunnels end or begin, when you're going to crest over any hill, or what is even going on! A great ride that's full of fun and forces. We laughed so hard on this one that one of us almost peed our pants.

Mantis (2) - Oh boy, the trims were off of this one. I remember riding Mantis back in '10 and hating it, but riding in row 4 one evening the ride surprised me. It was forceful, but not too overbearing, and the little "airtime" you get just before hitting the break run is really cool. However, it's a headbanger at moments; my ears were red and warm after riding the first time. The second time we rode we were in row 2, and man, I was blacking out on every single inversion. The loop was all stars, the dive loop grey, the incline loop a blur, and some turns I got so dizzy I don't remember it. If you're looking for insane forces, ride in row 2 is all I can say.

Maverick (2) - This ride really is "wild". It's very whippy and full of quick, fast transitions that either pin you down or throw you out. The first drop is spectacular, only to then be slammed into your seat and thrown around a bit before being thrown out again! A true beauty among Intamin blitz coasters. The only negative about it is the restrains - I don't like Intamin restrains only for the fact that this specific type tightens as the ride progresses. Fahrenheit has the same issue. But, it's worth bearing the pain for!

Mean Streak (1) - I was anticipating a back-beating on this one, but Mean Streak turned out to be much more smooth than I remember! It still has a wooden coaster feel with that out-of-control, constantly shaking ride, but much better than the last time. An improvement!

Millennium Force (4) - This is the best ride in Cedar Point, hands down. Every single moment of Millennium Force my hands were up, and riding towards the back of the train is much better than the front. Nighttime rides are also a must on this one since almost the whole ride is in darkness. It's indescribable! A true work of Intamin perfection.

Raptor (1) - I love me a B&M Invert, and Raptor lives up to the type. It's full of positive G's and dizzying helixes, and I'm sad I only got to ride it once. It left me with a bit of a headache, but it's so great that the headache was entirely worth the flight. This one's a keeper!

Top Thrill Dragster (2) - Speed is the main focus on this ride. It goes so fast and is over so fast that the experience is hard to remember in it's entirety. What strikes me the most is the acceleration - you think you're at 120 mph, but you just keep getting faster and faster to the point where the track and the sky are so shaky the meld into one, and the next thing you know you're looking at Millennium Force far away and 100 ft. below where you are. It's a pure adrenaline rush. Riding the Dragster at night is much more thrilling than during the daytime too! The only thing that scares me about this ride is how much it moves. Both of the base track (incline and decline) sway back and forth, and while in line for Magnum I noticed the whole tower swayed. No more rides on Dragster for me after that!

Wicked Twister (0) - I was bummed this ride was down all three days we were there. Anyone know why?

All in all, it was a very successful and fun trip! Start in the back of the park and work your way toward the front, and by mid-afternoon the lines for GK and Raptor are around 15-30 minutes. If you have early entry and are staying on CP property, take advantage of it! We rode Millennium Force one morning and were allowed right into the line once stepping of the train via a gate to the main line; use the beach entrance and not the one by Magnum to get there faster. Skyhawk is much better than maXair, and WindSeeker is terrifyingly high and fast. Also, be sure to use lockers for stuff before trying to get in line for GK, TTD, and MF. Attendants will stop you before you get in line, so save the trip of walking to and from the entrance. Be prepared for bugs EVERYWHERE too! If anyone has any questions about the trip feel free to ask.

And yes, Cedar Point truly is the best amusement park in the world!

^^I would not worry about the track moving/swaying on the coasters as that is a normal occurrence. At my home park, Knott's, you can see the top of Xcelerator sway a good amount from the lack of supports and Jaguar's track moving when the train passes by.

(Obviously, a lot of swaying is not a good thing, such as what's happening to Astrotower.)

While I've been to King's ISland 1,000 times, I never made it to Cedar point until recently. July 3rd and 4th was my third visit and one where i finally had two days to ride everything numerous times. On my first visit to Cedar Point I discovered TTD and then rode it 6 times the entire day and rode nothing else lol. I then joined TPR and went coaster crazy. Second visit was Gatekeeper media day so only select rides were operating. This time I had two entire days and fast pass plus. I had a hard time deciding what my favorite coaster was. Great park. Friendly staff. Wonderful time!

Raptor 9.5/10 - The best B&M invert ever. Fun and fierce from start to finish. Has the best B&M "roar" of all the ones i've ridden. It seems to be a people eater too and the line is always short.

Maverick: 7/10 - I love the twisty's and 95-degree first drop. The second launch goes immediately into a brake run which is kind of lame to me. The restraints are strange and they make women remove ear rings to ride it. I learned to stick my head out beyond them and then did not have to ride defensively. Has a couple of launcher air hills that were great! The theming is nice with this one.

Gatekeeper 8.5/10 - It is a beautiful ride, it's very graceful in it's movements and it's very quiet. (It's filled with sand, is it not?) Adds a huge WOW factor at the entrance to the park. People just stand out front with their mouths open watching it all day! It's lights are awesome even though they half work. I rode it on media day many times. It's a little rougher now in the rear outer seats than it was in April. I've read comments of people say it's running faster now than when we rode it on media day. It feels the same speed to me. The restraints still try to kill you.

Mantis 1.5/10 - Painful. Shame on B&M for making this torture device. It's like being in a boxing match. Rode once, never again.

Millennium Force 7.5/10 - It's a good ride. Fast and smooth.It's over hyped a whole bunch. Rob Alvey sums it up best when he says "i305 eats Millennium Force and craps it all over Cedar Point".

Cedar Creek Mine Ride 7/10 - I love Arrow rides. This one is smooth and is arranged nicely. It's family oriented i suppose.I really liked it. A lot

Corkscrew 6.5 /10 - Arrow invert and a good one. Very short ride but you see where all the Arrow loopers got their zing in the 80's...from Corkscrew.

Top Thrill Dragster - 8.5 /10 INTENSE! I love the view at the top. I amaze that people will wait 3 hours for a 17 second ride and then go right back into line to ride again. That means it's a winner. TTD is a winner. It operated sporadically both days.

Magnum XL-200 - 9.0 / 10. An Arrow hyper coaster! (The only?) First drop is great! The bunny hop hills at the end are serious! With no seatbelt it could launch a child 20ft in the air i bet! I love Arrow stuff.

Iron Dragon - 6.5/10. Arrow suspended! It feels about the same speed as the Bat but with very minimal swinging. Really, really tame. I hated it first but then it made me remember the Bat because it feels like the Bat! A winner!

Blue Streak 5/10 - It was an OK woody. I don't have much opinion on it.

Wicked Twister - It was not operating either day. A shame. No credit for me.

Mean Streak - 7/10 - It is a pretty good woody. It's a bit rough in spots. It smells like grease, i like that. Dinn Corp never really came close to making another Beast.

Gemini - 6/.5 /10 - Another Arrow. I never realized Cedar Pint had an entire fleet of Arrow coasters. It's a fun one.

In closing. Cedar Point rules! I'm glad it's only several hours away from me.

^ Wicked Twister is still down today..I was also wondering what's going on cause having V2 (the neutered version) at my home park I really want to ride the real thing in WT. Hope it's nothing long term.

Whatever it was, it's back open today.