TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

As a direct result of this thread, I was able to finalize my plans with Jessica for our three days in the park. Will be staying at the Maples Motel and FastPass Plus on Wednesday is all paid for and printed. Thank you TPR, for the great advice!

I'll be doing the Starlight entry Monday the 17th, a full day Tuesday the 18th, and FP+ on Wednesday, driving home on Thursday.

I am reading these reviews of Gatekeeper and I'm still as excited as I was for it the day I saw the concept art. I suppose I'm a rare breed, but I much prefer a ride with stunning visuals and the sensation of flying versus raw, intense elements. With some of my favorite coasters being Tatsu and Griffon I expect this one will be just what I look for in a coaster!

About ready to visit Cedar Point tomorrow! I'm hoping that none of the rides will be down, nor will any be very long. Do you guys recommend beginning at the back of the park, then working our way towards the front? I'd expect the lines for the coasters in the back of the park to be shorter in the morning, so I might wait less for a ride on Maverick.

Yeah go to the back of the park first and ride maverick... Later in the day mavericks line gets long and i would get millennium out of the way earlier in the morning too since most of crowds will be at gatekeeper.. Make your way to the front at like 1-2 if you want shorter lines up front..... Btw if its your first time riding gatekeeper ride it in the back left.... Its the best experience on that ride...hopefully everything is working and also get dragster out of the way quick too since it tends to brake down a ton for wind or mechanical promblems.

First time at Coastermania, and second time at Cedar Point (First time was at Gatekeeper media day. Did that count?). Had an absolute blast on all of the coasters I got to ride!

*Gatekeeper's nice! Very enjoyable and fun!

*Somehow placing myself in the possible minority, my favorite coaster in the park turned out to be Wicked Twister in the front or backseat thanks to the launch, the sharp upward turn, and the *ahem* wicked twists!

*Top Thrill Dragster had one hell of a unforgettable launch and drop! It's just too short.

*I love stand-up coasters, but Mantis turned out to be a harsh choice because of the pain in my legs from the g-forces it gave me, probably thanks to the amount of walking I did beforehand.

*Mean Strak... didn't hurt?! It was actually just tame for me, that's all. it was probably a different story for the people that sat on the car in front of me, though.

*Maverick was, hands down, the wildest roller coaster I have ever ridden. It has everything I love in a roller coaster, including its compactness. It's not my favorite though due to me having to brace myself so hard on some elements. I'd love for it to have the I305 restraints, like what someone else mentioned.

*Raptor's a great B&M!

*Power Tower's drop tower was nice. The speed at which it dropped felt much different from an Intamin's, but it still wasn't entirely thrilling.

Other than the rides, the weather was definitely not the best, the seagulls still tried to claim Gatekeeper to themselves, and there were bugs... everywhere! Still, I had a wonderful time at the event! I LOVE the Gatekeeper fleece they gave us, and I'm lucky to even have grabbed one VIP fleece for myself when they sent us into a free-for-all trying to grab multiples.

IMG_0214.thumb.JPG.420633cc2881de9754f0a672bc746305.JPG

The fleece, and the army of Coastermania Attendees!

*To complete the trifecta of snarky employees, the announcer at TTD said "We paid $25 million for this ride, but only got the rights to 20 seconds of this song [TTD's theme song]"

I rode Top Thrill Dragster 5 times on Coastermania day, and hearing that song over and over again made me wonder if the guys operating the coaster were sick of it yet or not!

*Somehow placing myself in the possible minority, my favorite coaster in the park turned out to be Wicked Twister in the front or backseat thanks to the launch, the sharp upward turn, and the *ahem* wicked twists!

Count me in the possible minority, I love Wicked Twister it's right behind Maverick for me at the point.

I love wicked twister as well, the last row and the whip you get coming out of the full height of back spike . Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride the last few years, gotten a bit rotund in the midsection haha. I'm just glad I don't get the walk of shame on dragster and MF anymore.

Wicked Twisters belts are a joke! No reason for them to be THAT SHORT! I've seen a lot of people that should be able to ride, not fit because of the extremely short belt!

Similar Intamin impulse coasters like Possessed and V2 have two clips for the belt, one further forward on the seat. Wicked Twister just has the one at the back, so I think it's more that than the belt length. Still weird that the clip is on the side rather than between the legs.

^ I would think the only reason for them being on the side versus between the legs is so the ops could check them quickly without getting a handful of junk.

I'm very much looking forward to Wicked Twister on Monday night. I don't think you guys are in the minority at all, WT is gettin' some love! My girlfriend is most excited about Twister than any other ride in the park, she has never been so doesn't yet know the awesomeness of Millennium Force.

I admit I'm fat but not huge to where I should be restricted from riding certain rides. When I tried to ride Wicked Twister a couple of years ago I had some issue with the belt though I just barely got it fastened and last year I had no issue with Vertical Velocity at SFGAm and Volcano at KD. I also had some slight issue with Raptor's belt, just barely getting it fastened which also happened on Alpengeist last year, yet I had no issue with Batman's belts.

Heh, and here I thought WT lost its glory. It's unfortunate that many Intamin rides like these have to turn away larger riders because they can't fit. Also, the coaster has two seat belts latches, not just one.

^Nice!

I wouldn't consider myself fat, or a lot of the other people i have witnessed not being able to ride! My issues are my shoulders and height. An extra inch of belt would go a long ways!

Didn't mean to be too abusive. It's just one of those days. An extra inch in a lot of things in life would help...

Similar Intamin impulse coasters like Possessed and V2 have two clips for the belt, one further forward on the seat. Wicked Twister just has the one at the back, so I think it's more that than the belt length.

This is 100% not true. It is exactly the same as all other impulse coasters.

There is a reason that seat belts are a certain length on coasters, and I'd think enthusiasts would understand that. If restraints are too loose, the rider would be able to slip out. It's not discrimination against fat people, it's safety...In order to accommodate larger guests, the entire seat would have to be re-designed, not just having the belt lengthened.

Also, I've mentioned this a few times, but it's worth mentioning again: The seats on Wicked Twister are NOT THE SAME. The restraints have warped over time to where some seats will accommodate larger guests with ease and some won't even fit skinny people. The two seats I know are most accommodating are (Car/seat) 6/4 followed by 8/4. The LEAST accommodating being 4/4. Try it!

This may sound a little bizarre, but there are also "methods" to fitting into seats at Wicked Twister. If you're a "well endowed" woman, so to speak, either squish together or put one out the side of the restraint. I've seen it done. Also, men if you have a gut, lift it up. the most pressure you'll experience with the restraints is low on your stomach. Long story short, the more of your body you can fit through the front of the restraint, the more easily it will buckle. Simple as that. If the belt is still a little short, don't just try to smash yourself in with the restraint, it won't work.

^I'll take your word for it, I only tried the test seat out front and it was not even close so I didn't bother lining up. I have no trouble fitting on V2 or Possessed but WT was a definite no go for me. I'm not saying the restraints ought to be bigger, just that my experience is that there is a difference.

Just got back from my Cedar Point trip yesterday night. For a Tuesday, man was the park busy! Even Corkscrew had a half an hour wait, while Raptor's shortest line got to 45 min. I didn't get to ride as much coasters as I wanted to; definitely considering buying a fast pass next time I go there. I didn't have a chance to ride Maverick once again, sadly.

The Corkscrew has to be my favorite coaster in terms of looks. Everytime we passed by it, I would wait until a train came by just to watch the riders go over my heads. It's not as rough as I thought it'd be, and the first time I got on it, I was not expecting that airtime on the hills. As long as you concentrate on keeping your head still through the ride - especially the corkscrews - it's not a bad ride. Rode it twice; probably my second favorite coaster.

The Gemini made me a little sick to my stomach, especially the first drop; airtime is not my friend. The best part of the ride is going though the turns and everyone clapping hands and talking to each other. It's not a smooth ride, but a very fun one nonetheless.

I rode the Iron Dragon next, at the very back. The airtime on the first drop blew me away. The rest of the ride is kinda rough, but a nice way to get a good breeze or to chat with the person sitting next to you. I love the helix at the end of the ride.

I went on the Cedar Creek Mine Ride twice - and believe me, it's not friendly to your hips or your neck. The quick, sharp turns really jolt you around, but I do love the helix at the end of the ride.

Woodstock Express is a little intense for a kid ride, considering how fast it seems to go through the turns and how rough it is.

The Raptor is my favorite ride at the park; very smooth and lots of twists and turns. The sudden stop at the end is something you gotta prepare for if you don't wanna hit your head at on the side, however. I nearly lost my cell phone on the ride cause the ride operator tightened the restraints and my phone came out of my pocket, I ended up tucking it in my shirt, and surprisingly it stayed in.

My mom was gonna ride the Dragster, but sadly it broke down as soon as she sat down, which was around 7:30; it probably stayed that way the rest of the day too.

And finally, the Gatekeeper. It looks much more intimidating in person, and with the new entrance, it's awesome to see the trains flip right through the keyholes. As for the ride itself...it was fun, the ride didn't have intense airtime (something I was so happy about!), and going through those keyholes made for an awesome experience. The ads and hype for the ride make it seem better than it does. For a B&M, it wasn't a smooth ride, kinda rough if you ask me. The restraints did get really tight at the end as well. Some people are saying Gatekeeper's restraints should be used on Maverick, but I can imagine since Maverick's ride is much faster and more intense, people would be gagging and struggling to breath by the end of the ride. I wonder if they'll eventually fix the restraint problem by this season or next if enough people complain about it.

^I'll take your word for it, I only tried the test seat out front and it was not even close so I didn't bother lining up. I have no trouble fitting on V2 or Possessed but WT was a definite no go for me. I'm not saying the restraints ought to be bigger, just that my experience is that there is a difference.

This gets brought up about V2 all the time too...the seats and restraints are identical. If you look at the photos below, even though V2 has two buckles on most seats, there are multiple holes that the buckles can be belted into and theyre not all bolted in the same place. Depending on which hole the buckle is bolted to it might be very easy or impossible for you to buckle without the ride op even on the front buckle. Why they randomize it is beyond me.

843858785_WickedTwister-DSC02512.jpg.047aa6704c24f501aee107248ea66f30.jpg

IMG_4870.thumb.JPG.ce3f695e75165cbb3d60a992b29dcf95.JPG

The placement of where the buckle is placed depends on the dynamics of the ride and how tight Intamin requires the restraint to be. I worked Steel Venom at Valleyfair for two season. The restraints will lock in any position so intamin has to change the tightness of the belt to fit how far down the harness needs to lock.

I hope this makes sense. Remember the park is not responsible for how tight the harnesses are, it is the manufacturer that requires them to make changes when needed.