TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I live in Kansas City, Mo and me and a couple friends are planing a road trip to cedar point in August. We have also talked about visiting kings island. My question is would it be worth it to purchase the Cedar Fair Platinum pass? I could use it at worlds of fun as well.

^Based on my visit today and yesterday, expect a light breeze to close TTD, Raptor, Power Tower and Windseeker. We ended up having to leave without the TTD credit because it was never open for more than a few cycles at a time. Gatekeeper and Mean Streak could be iffy too. But MF seemed to keep running even when it was getting a bit windy, and Maverick should be OK too.

Light breeze on the ground doesn't mean there isn't crazy wind blowing 420 feet in the air. As for the person's question about 15 mph winds, I'm fairly certain the Sky Ride stops running in 15+ mph winds. Other than that, I think the rest of the rides need a stiffer breeze to be blowing.

Had a night ride on GateKeeper tonight and oh my goodness is it insane now! I don't know if it's the hard wheels or if it's had time to break in, but that thing is flying and even more intense than when I rode around media day. There's even some airtime on that camelback, just a tad limited by the restraints. If you go to Cedar Point this Summer, definitely get a night ride in. The front is good for the view, but the back is where the real forces are! After tonight's ride, GateKeeper totally tops X-Flight as my favorite wingrider.

ksman1, I also am currently living in KC, and a month ago I was asking myself a similar question. I got the platinum pass and it will definitely be worth it. I can also strongly recommend that day at Kings Island on your way back. Plus, we find ourselves visiting WOF when we have free time... it's great!

Had a night ride on GateKeeper tonight and oh my goodness is it insane now! I don't know if it's the hard wheels or if it's had time to break in, but that thing is flying and even more intense than when I rode around media day. There's even some airtime on that camelback, just a tad limited by the restraints. If you go to Cedar Point this Summer, definitely get a night ride in. The front is good for the view, but the back is where the real forces are! After tonight's ride, GateKeeper totally tops X-Flight as my favorite wingrider.

I rode it several times last night as well and I agree!!! It was smoother, oddly, but the change of pace from when I rode a few weeks ago is drastic. It was flying through the whole thing. In the back left seat, there was airtime on the drop, Immelman, as well as a lot of floater air on the camelback. The dive loop was full of force too. GateKeeper is really stepping it up!

Just wanted to come in here and say that I took my first trip to cedar point the other day and I now have a new #1 coaster in maverick. I just thought it blew me away beginning to end with non stop intensity and action.

For everyone that's ridden Maverick, what do you think of the crew. I want to know anything that could be better or things we doing well on. I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to seeing any TPR people this summer.

All of the crews seemed to be doing a good job this week, GK and Maverick were the two that stood out as having plenty of hustle and getting the trains out quickly. Keep up the good work!

Maverick Crew was great on Tuesday. Very efficient and exciting! I personally enjoyed the first attempt to re-open after the storm when just as guests sat down you had to have them get back in line.

On a side note, I still wonder what it would have been like to operate Maverick if I didn't turn down the offer for that crew in 2012.

I can't find it on youtube, but I just saw an ad for Gatekeeper, and the animation is much more realistic than the VIP animations many parks opt for. I wonder if they will use this animator again for ride announcements. If anyone could find it, that'd be great so people no what I'm talking about.

According to Screamscape, Skyhawk has been down for a while. Is this true for those who recently visited?

Yup it has been down for the entire time. The had a lift truck by it when i was there

Ohhh...my brother in law is going to be devastated when we go on June 15th as that is his favorite ride at CP. Hopefully they will have it up and running again by then!

I can't find it on youtube, but I just saw an ad for Gatekeeper, and the animation is much more realistic than the VIP animations many parks opt for. I wonder if they will use this animator again for ride announcements. If anyone could find it, that'd be great so people no what I'm talking about.

The guy who does their animations is Keith McVeen. He's been doing the bulk of Cedar Fair and Six Flags' 3D animations for quite some time and used to run a website many ages ago called Badnitrus. Last I heard, he's also a ride designer for Universal Creative.

If it's a 3D animation for a new ride, 9/10 times it was done by Keith.

I'm at Cedar Point right now and I can tell you that today (Sunday) so far has been much more crowded than yesterday (Saturday). TTD and Power Tower were down today until about 4PM due to wind. Everything else was open all day other than Windseeker, which is testing right now. Maverick had an hour wait this afternoon and Gatekeeper was 75 minutes. Everything else was 30 min. or less.