TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I will be going to CP my first time on Saturday June 8 and Sun June 9 staying at Breakers. For 9am ERT, should I go to Gatekeeper first or TTD? Which line would go faster? Can I buy a fastlane online before I go? If not, do they sell them at the hotel?

You can buy fast lane online if you want, I'd definitely buy fast lane +. They do sell them at the hotel and several shops in the park if you want to judge the crowds first. It's totally worth it though, the day I had last summer with FL was much more enjoyable than the day without by far. Oh and keep an eye on Wicked Twisters line if you want the credit ( I personally love it) because its the only major coaster with no fast lane.

^The lines were so minimal today and i got plenty of rides in...but..i did have a fast lane.

Today was even better as i hit Raptor and a few others i didn't get to yesterday. Since i have the best dad, he came to sense after we waited in line for Millennium for about 1 1/2 hduring 9AM ERT!!!!!

DAMN. Do you remember what some of the posted waits were for non-fastlane people? Was everything like over an hour?

Nearly every coaster had a full line. So yes it was very crowded

Not trying to be a homer but i still think Skyrush is better than Millenium, with I-305 being the best of them. Millenium was fun but not too special. They certainly announced in the station enough that its "the best coaster in the world" many times, which tecnically it is (GTA's are not fair) and most of us disagree. Mitch's poll is WAY more accurate.

Had my first visit to the park today, given the forecast I wasn't expecting much to be open but still got the majority of the coasters done by about 2pm. After that a light breeze caused most of the rides to close, and by about 5pm the rain was coming in. I think TTD was open for 5 minutes all day, and Raptor closed regularly as well. Didn't see Windseeker open either. Mean Streak was closed all day - not sure if the was due to the weather or because the ride is broken.

Anyway, Millennium Force is as awesome as I'd expected, that first drop is intense! Best ride of the day was on Maverick, we had early entry so the first couple of rides were walk on. Gatekeeper is definitely worth the wait, only got the one ride in but will return tomorrow for a few more. Magnum has some incredible airtime, although my thighs are probably a bit bruised from that one.

Heading back tomorrow for more coaster awesomeness and hopefully get the TTD credit!

Cedar Point: Tuesday May 28th

It was Tuesday or bust for a trip to CP. The weather was extremely questionable as we drove in dark clouds and on and off storms. Coming into the park they did a good job of covering their butts with a big LED message, "Due to weather, some attractions may not open today." However, the risk was appealing as there was zero traffic coming through the causeway which is abnormal for even typical summer weekdays. We parked about three rows in, so that was a nice treat. I noticed the array of buses, but once I get into what was accomplished despite the weather, it's obvious they weren't much of a concern. This ended up being the lightest day I have experienced at CP. The hour weather delay around 4pm ended up not being very detrimental at all in getting everything I wanted, and more, to get done.

I managed two rides on Gatekeeper. Lines were around 30 minutes. and later less than 15 minutes. This coaster is definitely a winner. It's not the best coaster there by any means, but it's a very above average ride with a unique experience. Gatekeeper is not what I would call forceless as you definitely get to experience some great positive G's. The "keyholes" are not very effective by any means as it's really visually obvious there is more than enough clearance. However, the keyholes do serve a great purpose of creating a visually stunning entranceway to CP. I did notice during our meal break around 3pm that Gatekeeper looked idle as the winds really picked up for a period of time. Overall, Gatekeeper to me falls closely behind Millennium, Magnum, Maverick, and Raptor (no particular order on those) when compared to the rest of CP's collection. Again, Gatekeeper is a very solid ride that will definitely draw more guests than Disaster Transport could have ever done.

Magnum stole the show today as my favorite ride of the day. Keeping with my tradition which has never failed me, row 1:3 is the place to be. Today, on the other hand, Magnum not only delivered some extreme ejector air on the return hills, but the hills before the pretzel turn were floating like I have never felt them float before. I know Magnum is not as smooth as other hypercoasters today, but it's by no means painful. The line seemed to be in the station all day with only a few cycle wait. Score!

Millennium Force was running hot as well. I have had my fair share of "forceless" rides in the past on this coaster, but my past couple visits have led me to find a hot spot for a guaranteed excellent ride. The key to MF is to sit as close to the back as possible, if not the furthest back. However, I like to steal the first row of the last car as it's queue gets hidden, so it's usually a lot shorter than others. The first drop resulted in a great gap between my butt and the seat, and the following airtime hills all delivered. The back of the train also gets pulled through the overbanks very forcefully. Both times, the line was never past the bottom of the ramp. Easily, MF is an elite coaster in my book.

Maverick was basically a walk-on in the morning in which I only had to wait two trains to hop on. Maverick was running very good, and I did a better job of protecting the head for the two rides I took. It never hurts that the airtime hills were ejecting as great as usually. It still bugs me how the second launch is into trims. I dare to say that I would prefer a slower launch that doesn't need trims. Anyways, Maverick is still a great ride that is very unique.

I'm not going to go into much detail on the other coasters, but I'll provide a remark for all of them. Top Thrill Dragster gave a good ride as usual, but seems to be less intense with every ride I take on it. Raptor is running as great as usual; as smooth and intense as always. Mantis is leaps and bounds better than Green Lantern, and actually very enjoyable. Gemini has much more air than I remembered, so that was a nice surprise. Wicked Twister is enjoyable, but not as great as it looks by any means. Blue Streak had some great air, but slightly rougher than usual. Mean Streak opened late, but as usual, it was uneventful as always. Corkscrew was smoother than I recalled which was a nice change. Iron Dragon is, well, Dragging Iron, but still a decent family coaster. Apply Iron Dragon to Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

Edited by ajfelice

Hello all, heading to the Point for the first time in 9 years with some friends. Here are some stupid questions with probably obvious answers:

-What's the best way to get to the beach from the parking lot(s)? Also do I have to worry about rentals such as chairs or umbrellas or anything like that? I've never been on the beach there so I wouldn't know :/

-Where's the place to pick up FastLane+ bracelets? Is it clearly marked within the park (or wherever it may be)?

-On a related note, do I need to worry about ride strategy if we have FL+? We'll be there on Sunday and Monday, so hopefully we'll miss the rain (knock on wood).

Hello all, heading to the Point for the first time in 9 years with some friends. Here are some stupid questions with probably obvious answers:

-What's the best way to get to the beach from the parking lot(s)? Also do I have to worry about rentals such as chairs or umbrellas or anything like that? I've never been on the beach there so I wouldn't know :/

The best way to get to the beech is to go in the Main Enterence and then go out the Wicked Twister/WindSeeker Enterance, you will basically be right there. I don't know about the chair or umberella rentals.

^^ You can also get to the beach if you park in the Soak City lot and walk toward Hotel Breakers. There are lounge chairs right on the beach, and I'm pretty sure that most of them have a sunshade attached directly to them. As for FL+, you can get them in lots of places, and I'm pretty sure they are all marked on the map. I know for sure that the Pagoda Gift Shop has them, as well as the souvenir cart near Millennium Force's exit. With Fast Lane, you really should be able to go in any order you want, but make sure to at least have a general idea where you want to head to save yourself lots of walking!

^Based on my visit today and yesterday, expect a light breeze to close TTD, Raptor, Power Tower and Windseeker. We ended up having to leave without the TTD credit because it was never open for more than a few cycles at a time. Gatekeeper and Mean Streak could be iffy too. But MF seemed to keep running even when it was getting a bit windy, and Maverick should be OK too.

I was there on Mother's Day, where the winds constantly hovered around 15-20 MPH all day long. Maverick and MF had rolled back, and everything else was closed except for most of the flats and WT. Maverick was opened later in the day, along with Mean Streak, but that was about it. Winds are worse than rain, in my opinion. At least in light rain some coasters can still run one-train-operations.

We ended up having to leave without the TTD credit because it was never open for more than a few cycles at a time.

Sry to hear that. TTD opened just before 5PM and we were able to get a ride in after about a 30 minute wait.

The big surprise of the day was the shortness of Gatekeeper's wait. Less than 15 minutes for FRONT ROW. Our first ride in the front row and its awesome having nothing but air in front, below, and above you. Not sure if I like the front or back better.... both are good experiences.

The only disappointment was Maverick, which managed to go down both times we were in line for it, and seemed to be up and down all day.

Looks like winds on Tuesday afternoon were gusting at 25 MPH pretty regularly at both Toledo and Cleveland, and given the weather situation, you could likely add another 10 MPH to that just by going 200 feet off the ground. Not much of a surprise to see some of the tall rides shut down given those conditions.

^^We had to go around 3pm, so at least we didn't just miss it. Leaves something for next time anyway.

Got two rides on Maverick yesterday with <15 minute waits, so didn't bother when I saw a 1.5 hour line today. But was rewarded for waiting 20 minutes outside Raptor, got on the first train when it finally opened up. Loved it. Batman at SFNE was my favourite B&M for all of three days until I rode Raptor.

An unacceptable amount of man boobage on display in the rapids/flume area today. Shirts dry quickly. Just sayin'.

Quite a few marching bands circling the park in the morning. Kind of funny when two of them passed each other on the midway and completely lost track of what they were playing.

Comment of the day was on exiting Mantis, girl says "so glad I don't have a penis right now!" Guy behind her proceeds to start an informal biology lesson, specifically which parts of the male anatomy are at risk on a standup coaster...