TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

We usually do 3 days especially since I only get to visit every other year. A few years ago we were pretty much rained out the first 2 days plus it was cold the 2nd day with a high of 54 and this was in June!

Jim

Hey guys, I have a few questions about Cedar Point because I'm going there for the first time this weekend.

-I will be there on Saturday and Sunday. What rides (besides coasters) are a must do?

-What coasters should I head to first before they get crowded?

-What is the water park like?

-What are some things I have to try?

- Do you think I get can get all the coasters in two days if I'm there from opening-closing on both days, or should I get a Fast-Lane?

Edited by ArundelHigh Coasters

I had my first visit to Cedar Point on Monday and had a great time!

I was really worried about the weather, but it was hot and sunny all day. The crowds were pretty heavy for a Monday in early May, so we paid up and bought Fast Lane Pluses (we didn't fly here to stand in 1hr+ lines in the sun). Best decision ever. We got to ride every coaster in the park (besides the kiddie/junior) and several non-coasters and it was glorious.

I took lots of pictures, but nothing that hasn't been posted here many times before. I'm leaving a ride-by-ride TR instead.

Gatekeeper x3 - Loved it. The large sweeping motions and overall smoothness made for a fun ride.

Millenium Force x3 - Loved it. I greyed out a little during the first overbank turn (is this normal?).

Maverick - Loved it. It was down most of the day and I was getting slightly depressed at the thought of not riding it. However, it opened within an hour of closing! Great ride, but I did smack my neck into the OTSRs twice.

Top Thrill Dragster - Loved it. I still prefer Xcelerator though since it isn't over after one tophat.

Gemini - Loved it. This was the surprise of the trip. We didn't expect much, but we really liked Gemini. It didn't race though! Do they normally race still?

Raptor - Good.

Wicked Twister - Good.

Magnum-XL 200 - Good. Nice airtime, but a bit too rough.

Iron Dragon - Good.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride - Good. Fun little ride.

Blue Streak - Bad. We sat in the back seat and really got thrown around.

Corkscrew - Bad. As expected, it was rough and not really that fun.

Mantis - Awful. I hated Mantis. It beat me up and I couldn't wait to get off.

Mean Streak - Awful. No surprises here.

Hey guys, I have a few questions about Cedar Point because I'm going there for the first time this weekend.

-I will be there on Saturday and Sunday. What rides (besides coasters) are a must do?

- Do you think I get can get all the coasters in two days if I'm there from opening-closing on both days, or should I get a Fast-Lane?

To answer your questions:

First, I would recommend a fast lane, the one that includes Gatekeeper and TTD. The reason behind that suggestion is that, though you can get all rides done in two days, I can guarantee you will want to re-ride and not wait in the lines. The coasters are great at CP!

Must do coasters: GK, TTD, Maverick, Mellenium Force, Magnum XL, Raptor, Wicked Twister.

I would head to TTD first, get it out of the way, I hear GK has better capacity.

Things to try: MaXair; I freakin love that ride. Shoot the rapids is kinda fun, Sky Hawk; I'm a sucker for the giant swings. Satellite Tower in Challenge Park is one of my favorite rides. I do it every time I go. Power Tower; skip if you don't have time. It's no different than any other free fall tower. Also, iron Dragon isn't terrible. It's kind of tucked in the trees.

Those are my suggestions. Hope it helped!!

TTD and MF shut down in the rain because rain drops at 120/93 mph hurts like a mofo. I've ridden MF in a very light drizzle and it was unbearable.

The bugs in the evening can be terrible as well!

Quick question: are you allowed to wear a fanny pack on most of the roller coasters? Has anyone done so to confirm it's true? I know you can't on Top Thrill or Millennium, but what about Gatekeeper?

I have a fairly hip Herschel fanny pack, which I often wear to parks. I have worn it on every roller coaster at CP, including TTD, Millennium Force, and Gatekeeper.

FYI, to ensure that I am able to press down the lap bar entirely, I turn my fanny pack sideways.

Now, SFGAdv is a different story e.g. El Toro.

TTD and MF shut down in the rain because rain drops at 120/93 mph hurts like a mofo. I've ridden MF in a very light drizzle and it was unbearable.

Don't wait for the front seat on MF unless you want to eat about a thousand bugs.

Not that I would recommend actually waiting for the front anyways, since it's a really long wait, and the back is a much better ride.

Just got back from my trip to CP!!!

Headed up from Indy on Sunday morning with a friend from college. He had never been so it was a shock to him at first.

Picked up our VIP jackets at the front and good thing too, got an employee discount at DQ later that night, lol.

Rides:

Gatekeeper - nice addition to the park. Rode in the back all 4 times. 3 on left 1 on right. Left is better IMO. Did run into the bouncing that people were talking about. Ride restraints are awesome, a bit tight but nothing bad. I fit in the normal seats, lol 6'3 260 40in waist.

MF - rode about 10 times. Always in the back seat. Friend loved it. By far his favorite ride there.

Raptor - Rode it once. Still gives me the spinnies, lol.

Iron Dragon - twice, still a great ride

TTD - once, in the back seat. Great pop over the top hat. Friend loved it also, just really short.

Maverick - twice, still pumping, but gotta hold your head.

Blue Streak - once, it was all I could bear. Rough as poop, lol

Cedar Creek Mine Ride - I still love this ride. Back seat, screaming like a girl down the drop is priceless.

Mean Streak - friend rode it twice back seat and middle. Didn't make a difference. Rough as poop he said.

Gemini - 10 always in the back. Blue train is by far the best. The steel beam of doom is awesome on this ride. By far and away my favorite coaster ever.

Magnum - twice in the back, 3 in the middle and once in front. Still love that thing, the return trip from the pretzel turn is rough, but still fun.

A great 4 days at the point for sure. By far the best deal is getting chilli cheese fries and getting one fry and two drinks for free.

Here are some pic's.

My friend and I on the CP webcam.

Front seat? yes please.

Best platinum deal around

Fun arcade game

In line for Maverick

Sitting in the smoking section.

Leaning tower of Gatekeeper

Last site before leaving.

Going to go back two more times this season. Just can't get enough of this place. Been going here since 85 and it keeps getting better and better

My friend told me that one of his friends was at CP last Friday and there was a 4.5 hour wait for Gatekeeper and they were having problems keeping it running throughout the day (although I am not at all surprised at this with it being a huge, new coaster). Any truth to the rumor?

Guess he was pretty bummed and left without getting a ride...which screams Fast Lane Plus for us when we go in June!

I was there Friday, Gatekeeper was running all day. The only downtime that I saw (and rode it 10 times) was when a sensor went offline for a minute or two. The average wait time for those without Fast Lane Plus was about 45 minutes to an hour most of the day, those of us with Fast Lane Plus the wait time was generally around 10 minutes.

Whoops...my bad. I got confirmation that he was there on opening day. Guess that would make more sense!

Nice photos! This gets me even more excited for my trip this weekend!

Can you actually get that close to Gatekeeper by the turnaround or are you ''backstage''?

You can get even closer, lol. Just walk right up to it. Makes for some fun photo's.

Don't wait for the front seat on MF unless you want to eat about a thousand bugs.

Not that I would recommend actually waiting for the front anyways, since it's a really long wait, and the back is a much better ride.

The bugs are awful, I specifically remember getting hit by a ton of them while riding Maverick in August.

I have five people going with me for four days, fast lane plus per person for a day is a whopping $65, is there any kind of deal or combo we can do to make it cheaper? normal fast lane does not include Gatekeeper (main reason why we made the trip) and we are affraid that if we do not get fast lane plus rides on it will be limited and it will lower our riding times on other rides from waiting in line for so long.

To answer your questions:

First, I would recommend a fast lane, the one that includes Gatekeeper and TTD. The reason behind that suggestion is that, though you can get all rides done in two days, I can guarantee you will want to re-ride and not wait in the lines. The coasters are great at CP!

Must do coasters: GK, TTD, Maverick, Mellenium Force, Magnum XL, Raptor, Wicked Twister.

I would head to TTD first, get it out of the way, I hear GK has better capacity.

Things to try: MaXair; I freakin love that ride. Shoot the rapids is kinda fun, Sky Hawk; I'm a sucker for the giant swings. Satellite Tower in Challenge Park is one of my favorite rides. I do it every time I go. Power Tower; skip if you don't have time. It's no different than any other free fall tower. Also, iron Dragon isn't terrible. It's kind of tucked in the trees.

Those are my suggestions. Hope it helped!!

Thank you! I will be heading to Ohio after school. I can't wait, this all sounds fun!

I have five people going with me for four days, fast lane plus per person for a day is a whopping $65, is there any kind of deal or combo we can do to make it cheaper? normal fast lane does not include Gatekeeper (main reason why we made the trip) and we are affraid that if we do not get fast lane plus rides on it will be limited and it will lower our riding times on other rides from waiting in line for so long.

The only deal is the group rate for the Fast Lane pass and that varies based on the day. For the normal admission you might want to try the local Meijers - usually can get tickets there cheaper than at the gate. So you could probably save some money there.

I will be going to Cedar Point for the first time on Saturday June 8th. I hate the idea of going on a Saturday but that is my only option for my cousin. I'm not purchasing a fast lane pass but I'm wondering if it is a good idea to stay at the breakers express and get early access to the park. How much can I get done in the one hour and what should I aim to do in that time. Also when the park opens is there a good way to do the park in order to minimize waiting in lines? I'm guessing everyone will be going to Gatekeeper fist since it is new and at the entrance. Thanks.

The early entry into the park varies. Mainly if the coaster breaks down or isn't open yet. Last Saturday I parked at Soak City then walked onto Maverick, Millennium Force was about a 15-20 min wait, and waited about 5 minutes for Raptor. I'm just happy Gatekeeper is making Maverick line short during morning ERT.

Well im off to CP! 6 hours never hurt anyone, cant wait....fast lane plus for Sturday only and then Sunday is wait in line

I had fast lane the 1st day last August and didn't the 2nd day there. It was quite painful waiting in those lines, especially for Maverick and TTD =(.