TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm not fond of waiting in line. But the GREAT thing about CP is (as far as big thrill parks go) they have relatively good efficiency on rides. The lines keep moving. When I was at the park in 2011 (after a 10 year hiatus!) I was surprised I actually had fun waiting for Top Thrill Dragster. The platform attendant with headset was doing a great job overseeing everything and keeping people entertained.

Memorial day weekend is usually pretty crowded, so I'd recommend fast lane for one of the days. Military get into the park for free this Saturday-Monday. So fast lane might sell out. When the park first opens, the fast lane for Gatekeeper will be massive since everyone thinks that is the start of the line.

Edited by Astrojack

^The thing about bad wheels at twister is that it brings the entire ride out of operation, so it is a necessity to change those right away. Replacing 'types' of wheels is very low on the maintenance list, especially since B&M wheels are made to last a very long time. They would only change a wheel if it went bad.

Wicked Twister is made by Intamin though, not B&M.

If im going to be there Saturday and Sunday, fo you think Fast Pass would be needed?

Memorial Day Weekend Saturday and Sunday? Are you bent??

In a word, yes. Get Fast Lane passes.

Haha thats exactly what i thought. I think it will be extremely crowded. Very happy it will be in the 60's though!

^The thing about bad wheels at twister is that it brings the entire ride out of operation, so it is a necessity to change those right away. Replacing 'types' of wheels is very low on the maintenance list, especially since B&M wheels are made to last a very long time. They would only change a wheel if it went bad.

Wicked Twister is made by Intamin though, not B&M.

Please read in context. My comment was about changing wheels on Gatekeeper.

Heading to the park Tues/Wed next week, looks like it might be slightly damp for at least part of that time. Which rides are most susceptible to rain closure? I'll be sure to get to those when it's dry.

My visit last year had a nasty storm brew up in the late afternoon that resulted in a monsoon hitting the Point. Two hours after the storm passed, with bright sunny skies, many of the bigger coasters were still down while smaller coasters had reopened.

The last few years I've been there just about every large flat and coaster were all closed in even light rain.

Same thing happened to me. They don't even wait to see if the rain will amount to anything, one drop and it's all closed.

Do the other Cedar Fair parks have such strict rain policies, or is it only Cedar Point?

The last few years I've been there just about every large flat and coaster were all closed in even light rain.

Same thing happened to me. They don't even wait to see if the rain will amount to anything, one drop and it's all closed.

Do the other Cedar Fair parks have such strict rain policies, or is it only Cedar Point?

Last time i was at Dorney it was light raining and a couple rides close but Talon, Hydra, and Steel Force stayed open along with the flats

TTD will close in any rain because not only would it be too painful, but when the track for the catch car gets too much water in it the train will just keep rolling back. Kingda Ka closes in any rain as well. MF in rain would also be pretty painful. If the winds are strong enough off the lake MF and Magnum are likely to valley. This still doesn't explain the other rides though.

I believe Magnum had a little bump a few years back due to a train sliding through wet brakes into another. [Found an article in the Sandusky Register from 2007; park cited "excessive moisture on the tracks."] Ever since then Cedar Fair has been REALLY conservative on their rain policy. Carowinds is very similar, even for the magnetic-braked rides . From personal experience I know Dorney changed sometime after 2007. I used to ride Talon in the absolute pouring rain and now I've seen it go down in a drizzle.

On a side note, a buddy of mine was at the park the other day and was disappointed that light rain and wind caused most of the rides to remain shuttered till the late afternoon. Gatekeeper never opened. Winds were max 20 mph according to local weather. Now I don't know anything about the operation of the ride, but Cedar Point is on a peninsula where it's frequently windy. I hope they haven't set themselves up for a lot of bellyaching if Gatekeeper is really quick to go down due to wind.

The Magnum incident on Maverick's opening day in 2007 is large in part the reason they are tentative to run coasters in the rain now. It's silly to me that the rides with magnetic brakes are shut down in the rain, but I guess that's why I don't run the park.

TTD and MF shut down in the rain because rain drops at 120/93 mph hurts like a mofo. I've ridden MF in a very light drizzle and it was unbearable.

^^Not quite so. The main reason is drive wheels, which work by friction. On intamin coasters, they are the only way the trains can fully stop. Otherwise they'd bump. The only coaster with purely magnetic function is Wicked Twister, and you can expect it to be open in light rain.

This is why I always recommend that if you travel to CP, and you are not a local, make sure you schedule to visit the park for a minimum of two days. During my very first visit we had torrential rain as well as misty showers until early afternoon. Everything was closed until they got the corkscrew open at around 1:30-2:00. If I did not have the second day, it would have been impossible to earn all of the credits.