TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Just a quick comment from me:

GateKeeper was fun. I'm 5'11" 180lbs and I had no issues with the vest restraint. I just want to let everyone know that GateKeeper closed because of the wind earlier this evening. I don't know what the wind threshold is for it, but it was shut down before Sky Ride. So I can definitely see the potential of having some unhappy folks this summer because that.

For those at the park today, how were the lines for Wicked Twister?

It used to be my go to coaster for a potential walk on. I'm guessing those days are gone.

I love Wicked Twister and the fact it's the only major coaster without Fast Lane I hope it's line doesn't get too long due to Gatekeeper. I hope I can get to CP soon to try out Gatekeeper, it looks awesome and the new entrance looks great. Love all the videos and early reports looks like a lot of fun.

Also I can see that Fast Lane/ Fast Lane Plus sign saying sold out quite a bit this summer. It is definitely worth the money loved it this past summer.

Far as wicked twister it was packed all day an with GK there now it will probably continue

Far as Gatekeeper I think it much more then wind that shut the ride down since it was down before the wind and rain really started then on top of that there was many employees in the op both looking at video screens like they didn't know what the hell was wrong. Then after the rain and wind most of the rides reopened yet GK is still down, it's after 10 and I can still see Wicked twister and maxair running from my room still no gatekeeper.

Just a quick comment from me:

GateKeeper was fun. I'm 5'11" 180lbs and I had no issues with the vest restraint. I just want to let everyone know that GateKeeper closed because of the wind earlier this evening. I don't know what the wind threshold is for it, but it was shut down before Sky Ride. So I can definitely see the potential of having some unhappy folks this summer because that.

You can actually SEE the ride slow down due to the wind in this video. There were a couple of moments yesterday where I really thought it could valley.

[vine]

[/vine]

Is it true Gatekeeper had a 5+ Hour wait?! If so DAMN! I heard it was a horrible day at CP especially with this type of weather. Anyone else confirm if Woodstock actually valleyed today??

Edited by _IntaMAN_

Is it true Gatekeeper had a 5+ Hour wait?! If so DAMN! i heard it was a horrible day at CP especially with this type of weather. Anyone else confirm if Woodstock actually valleyed today??

I saw many reports that the people who got in that crazy long line today at 9:30am were on the ride by 12:30pm. Here's video of the line at 9:30am today:

[vine]

[/vine]

^ MY GOD That looks insane! My friends were there and they said it was a pretty disappointing/ bad day, but they still managed to do everything with Fast Lane+. Good Job CP for limited sales!

Why was it disappointing if they managed to do everything? With FL+ selling out by 10:30 this morning, I would imagine they would have been able to do quite a bit. I know the people we were hanging out with managed to do Gatekeeper, Maverick 5x, Mean Streak, Raptor, MF 2x, Shoot the Rapids, Gemini, Blue Streak, Magnum, and a couple other things. And that was all before 5pm!

Hopefully, when I go to Cedar Point, the lines for other rides will be shorter - if only slightly. I am not willing to wait for more than an hour and a half for Maverick (although that's unlikely cause that line is always that long).

Anyways, the wind really caused Gatekeeper to shut down? Hmm...I wander if that'll cause some problems in the future, as some say it wasn't just the wind/rain.

Edited by 23savannah

On CP's FB page, there do seem to be a lot of complaints about this being a "bad day." Obviously, it sounds like a lot (if not all) of the downtime was due to weather, but more interesting are the numerous complaints about the park being "disorganized" today. Can anyone comment? I'm guessing this was a combination of the park being understaffed and the crowds being huge.

Anyone else confirm if Woodstock actually valleyed today??

I heard the same thing, but this was all that I could find online: [youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

We never even went by it today. To be honest, I don't understand why people make a big deal out of this. It happens quite often, especially during the start of the season when trains need to break back in again, and especially when it's cold.

I mean, Iron Dragon valleyed the other day during testing, and it was open today.

On CP's FB page, there do seem to be a lot of complaints about this being a "bad day." Obviously, it sounds like a lot (if not all) of the downtime was due to weather, but more interesting are the numerous complaints about the park being "disorganized" today. Can anyone comment? I'm guessing this was a combination of the park being understaffed and the crowds being huge.

Sounds like people bitching just to bitch? I mean, I'll be honest, I don't think I noticed anything really out of the ordinary or operations/customer service being notably bad.

Then again, I've been to Magic Mountain.

Edited by robbalvey

^ I guess they were talking weather wise and the way the park was in general. They said they felt bad for the rest of the general crowd. I'm chatting with them right now and they said they did manage to do everything with some multiple runs, one of my friends is a first timer to CP and he said he did enjoy the park unlike the rest of the clan he was with.

^^^^ I just saw that video too, must be an interesting day over at CP.

^ *ba dum ching*

It was opening day -there always are bugs. I went to countless opening days at the park before moving to Florida and the day is always filled with downtimes, long lines for merch and food, etc - but that is almost expected for the first day. You can test and train over and over but when thousands of people flood the park, fill the rides, and challenge employees for the first time things are bound to happen. Not surprising most opening day trip reports on TPR for parks around the world are similar in that sense.

Hey Robb, do you have any other videos on Media Day/Opening Day at CP besides just the Gatekeeper shots? Like any footage of well...other rides/walking around? I'm curious about the crowds those days and what all else was happening. Were the lines for the other coasters relatively short?

Loving the short Vine video clips inserted into the boards! Robb, that clip of GateKeeper visibly slowing down was wild! I never would have considered that the wind may play a part in things but I guess CP is right on the water so it makes sense.

I would much rather have a vest restraint constrict a little bit during the ride than potentially have my head slammed into an old school OTSR during a corkscrew, which hurts like hell and causes a massive headache for the rest of the day.

Sounds like people bitching just to bitch? I mean, I'll be honest, I don't think I noticed anything really out of the ordinary or operations/customer service being notably bad.

Then again, I've been to Magic Mountain.

Lol.

Hey Robb, do you have any other videos on Media Day/Opening Day at CP besides just the Gatekeeper shots? Like any footage of well...other rides/walking around? I'm curious about the crowds those days and what all else was happening. Were the lines for the other coasters relatively short?

No, we really focused on Gatekeeper. I mean, there are a bazillion videos and photos of Cedar Point, and it all pretty much looked the same...