TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I don't post here a lot but you guys did kind of blow what he said way out of proportion. I've seen way stupider complaints on this board that are deserving of the response you gave him, but he just asked a simple question and even made sure to add that it wasn't a big deal in his original post, and you guys all jumped on him.

Sorry to keep this off topic again but I really just felt the need to say that.

EDIT: Please note I'm talking about thrillseeker4552, r3vo coming out and just calling Robb an ass was unnecessary and I'm not defending him.

I don't post here a lot but you guys did kind of blow what he said way out of proportion. I've seen way stupider complaints on this board that are deserving of the response you gave him, but he just asked a simple question and even made sure to add that it wasn't a big deal in his original post, and you guys all jumped on him.

Sorry to keep this off topic again but I really just felt the need to say that.

EDIT: Please note I'm talking about thrillseeker4552, r3vo coming out and just calling Robb an A$$ was unnecessary and I'm not defending him.

Thank you for also recognizing that thrillseeker4552 did nothing wrong.

To get back on topic..

I'm really looking forward to seeing the main entrance completed. The renderings look wonderful. I'm curious to know how intensive the landscaping will be around the ride and at the front gate. Hopefully some trees will be planted all around. The way GateKeeper comes out over the lot somewhat reminds me of Kraken.

I agree with KPfreak519, including his distinction between the other two posters' attitudes.

It's important to be firm and keep a respectable forum in good shape on content - no question about that. There are other places for the attitude-challenged to go, and their posting histories will show exactly who they are. In a place like this, where the notions of respect and positive contribution are valued, legitimate "problem posters" invite whatever they get... be it ridicule, the business end of a flamethrower, or the Banhammer of Thor.

For the rest, who are more earnest and honest but still might manage to wander outside the lines, could firm course corrections be doled out in the same spirit of mutual respect that otherwise pervades the site? These aren't the troublemakers -- they just strayed a bit. No need to resemble the bad behavior while rejecting the same, in my opinion.

I, too, don't post much. But I tremendously enjoy this place and everything that goes into it - including the effort needed to efficiently weed out the genuinely bad apples.

And Gatekeeper looks AWESOME. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Edit: just saw the previous note to get back on topic. Hint taken.

For anyone looking for another view of the entrance plaza design, here is the concept art for the plaza from PLACE Workshop in Cincinnati.

252063_436839396387378_796060550_n.jpg

It appears a few things have changed as always happens from initial concepts, but it still gives a better idea of what the plaza will feel like once completed.

For anyone looking for another view of the entrance plaza design, here is the concept art for the plaza from PLACE Workshop in Cincinnati.

252063_436839396387378_796060550_n.jpg

It appears a few things have changed as always happens from initial concepts, but it still gives a better idea of what the plaza will feel like once completed.

Looks like it was created on Google Sketch-Up. It resembles kind of a futuristic/contemporary feel. I really like the appearance of the roof structures along side the path leading up to the hub. I am definitely going to take a few minutes during the Midwest Tour to check out this entrance!

^Don't get too excited about those structures, they weren't in the concept art provided by Cedar Point.

PLACE Workshop does a lot of Sketchup concept work. I don't actually know if they are the final designers though. They may have just done initial concept work and passed that off to an architect/landscape designer to actually finish the work and make it buildable.

Overall it feels much more modern and provides a nice focal point to draw people towards the front gate. I'm excited to check it out.

There's 2 pieces of track going through the keyholes in that concept...did they put the coaster together wrong??

No, but seriously, no matter how concept art ends up looking, there's always going to be differences with finished products. Don't trust concept art, plain and simple as that. It's for a general vague idea of what the finished product will look like. I personally think the entrance looks pretty sexy it looks much more welcoming than the previous one for sure, and the focal point seems to be the gate itself, which means less people will be confused as to how to get in to the park (which, unfortunately happens...)

I've never been to CP, so I don't know the area near the park, but the peninsula CP is on has limited space. Does anyone think it's possible that CP will eventually move the parking lot to the mainland to create ample space (when it become necessary) and have trams (or a WDW style monorail) transport people between the parking lot and the park?

The trains look even nicer than I thought they might! And those glowing eyes are freaking awesome!! With Gatekeeper's track already completed construction-wise, I'm looking forward to seeing how the station/entrance plaza takes shape, along with the revamped park entrance. Kudos to that construction crew too, as they seemed to kick it into overdrive once they started on the keyhole track! Definitely looking forward to this one, and hopefully I might be able to snag a ride on it this spring/summer.

I've never been to CP, so I don't know the area near the park, but the peninsula CP is on has limited space. Does anyone think it's possible that CP will eventually move the parking lot to the mainland to create ample space (when it become necessary) and have trams (or a WDW style monorail) transport people between the parking lot and the park?

This has been discussed several times over the years Cedar Point will run out of room. Put simply, they will not. Attractions come and go, something will be removed for a newer attraction. This has even been discussed going back to before Millennium was built.

Do I see them using the parking lot space for future attractions. In 20 years, no, don't think even in 50. There are attractions that by that time will be beyond the manufacturer's recommended operation so will be removed and will open up new space. There's actually going to be spots opening up here by the end of this year with the removal of the onsite employee housing, mainly the Golds in the middle of the park next to Corkscrew.

There are quite a few spots that can open up in the coming years. Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, Cadillac, Turnpike, and Antique Cars, Corkscrew, and a few of the older rides could very well be on the chopping block in the coming years, some I think sooner that we're expecting. It's more because of maintenance and how old the structure of the rides are. Reason why wooden coasters, like Blue Streak, last much longer than a majority of modern rides is because the wood structure and track is cheap and easy to fix. Corkscrew's structure and track, not so much, would be quite expensive to try and do a track replacement. Gemini, that one is a weird one due to the fact of its hybrid design. Certainly the wooden support structure can last quite a long time, but the steel track cold become an issue in the future. A modern track replacement could do that ride some good and could make it last longer.

^ No, not the Iron Dragon they should keep it, it's one of the last Arrow suspended coasters left in the world let alone North America! Without Iron Dragon, the only family coaster at Cedar Point would be Wooodstock Express.

I see further parking lot expansion as unlikely for one reason: walking distance. The elongated orientation of the peninsula already makes for some long walks (convincing GP friends to make one more trek to the back of the park for a final ride on Maverick is like pulling teeth) and exhausted guests don't always equal satisfied guests. Honestly, I feel like CP is at an optimum size/number of coasters as is. What I'd rather see is focusing capital towards current park infrastructure and a refining of the coaster collection (ie. Removing or improving worn, outdated attractions with modern improvements). Quality over quantity.

For those that love the Gold Dorms by Corkscrew.... Don't get too attached.

Has anyone ever liked any of the dorms that are actually out on the point? I've always heard horror stories. Not that the other dorms were that much better.

^ No, not the Iron Dragon they should keep it, it's one of the last Arrow suspended coasters left in the world let alone North America! Without Iron Dragon, the only family coaster at Cedar Point would be Wooodstock Express.

If Arrow gave the park a recommended operation lifetime for Iron Dragon like they did Big Bad Wolf, then it is very well on the chopping block. The only thing that would save it is Vekoma coming out and doing a overhaul on it like they did with Vampire. It's more than likely the track joints and trains themselves that could be the end of the ride. That's why I see a lot of the more modern coasters lasting much longer because the track is bolted to the support structure. Replacing a couple worn bolts are easier than trying to re-weld a joint. Also computers have helped calculate support and track stress over long periods of time. Arrow didn't have that luxury during the 70's and 80's when a lot of their coasters were built, so if a park sees that a coaster's track, support, and trains are starting to become a maintenance worry during the annual inspections, it's more than likely going to be removed sooner.

There are plenty of alternatives of family coasters than just Iron Dragon and Woodstock Express at Cedar Point. Corkscrew, Blue Streak, Gemini, Magnum, and Millennium Force are just a couple and have a pretty kid friendly height limit of 48", not to mention the range of kid rides CP has to offer, with Kiddy Kingdom, Gemini Children's Area, Camp Snoopy and Planet Snoopy, more kid-friendly areas than a few other parks I can think of.

The onsite housing, being some of the oldest structures on the property, are starting to show their age, mainly Cedars, and are missing quite a bit of modern conveniences. I was not surprised when I heard Ouimet saying that new employee housing and removal of the old onsite housing was part of the 3-year hotel property improvements. I know a few that liked the onsite, not because of how it is, but it being onsite. Taking about 20 minutes from the time of getting up out of bed to getting out to your spot. Offsite, you have to plan about an extra hour between getting ready and heading up to the Point due to traffic or waiting for the bus.

I don't see cedar point ever expanding their actual park into the lot area, but it would be cool if they built a small city walk/downtown Disney style area with a few more restaurants, and maybe some things to do at night after the park closes for on-site guests staying at the hotels. They could even build another hotel. Make the whole peninsula even moreso a resort destination. Just dreaming thought.

If Cedar Point demos Corkscrew in the near future (seems likely due to rumors of Anaconda and Vortex leaving next year) I would like to see them keep the Corkscrews over the midway if they put a flat ride or smaller coaster in the spot or if they decide to put a large coaster in they should mimic the old corkscrews as the midway would look very odd without them.

I would say Iron Dragon won't be leaving quite yet due to it being the only major coaster (Woodstock Express isnt a major coaster) that kids under 48" can ride right now.

I much rather see Vekoma give Iron Dragon an overhaul with Arrow style trains!

If Cedar Point does decide to get rid of Corkscrew, I would rather see B&M or Vekoma ( ) remake the Corkscrew coaster to replace the old Arrow one.

For those that love the Gold Dorms by Corkscrew.... Don't get too attached.

Has anyone ever liked any of the dorms that are actually out on the point? I've always heard horror stories. Not that the other dorms were that much better.

Haha probably not. I'm being facetious anyways.

Just going to throw in my $0.02 here. If Iron Dragon was removed, I think it would be a phenomenal idea to put a custom Vekoma suspended family coaster in its place. I doubt it would take up all of Iron Dragon's footprint so there would likely be room for something else there too.

Don't get me wrong, I love Iron Dragon for what it is. But there comes a time when it just makes sense to retire a ride.

When the day comes I see Iron Dragon being the last Arrow suspended still operating as it's not as aggressive like KI's Flight Deck and CW's Vortex. I would think that with those two being much faster than ID and putting more stress on their track and supports they will wear out quicker and eventually be sacrificed for parts to keep Iron Dragon running.

My guess is that Corkscrew will be next on the chopping block even though it is an iconic part of the midway. With Power Tower and its queues taking up a nice chunk of land I can't see anything else that would fit other than a few new flats or a spinning coaster, which would make up for the loss of an older family coaster.