TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Who's to say Cedar Point hasn't invested in anything since 2007? The park as a whole has gone through so many improvements in those years, it's crazy! Luminosity, Windseeker, Planet Snoopy, new light package on several rides and throughout the whole park, Shoot The Rapids, new paint on Millennium Force, Dinosaurs...that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Just because a new coaster isn't revealed doesn't mean the park isn't putting millions of dollars into the park's well being.

Plus, who's to say Top Thrill Dragster was a financial disaster? As far as I know, it is easily the most photographed/filmed roller coaster in the world. The only other coaster that's more popular in the park than TTD is Millennium...(with the exception of Raptor on some days). Just because you don't personally like a roller coaster doesn't mean it was a financial disaster...

Hope those key holes are big enough, wouldn't that be a kick in the shorts if they come up a bit small

Somehow I knew when the picture arose this would come up...

Still can't believe their last big addition was Maverick in 2007 (Shoot the Rapids doesn't count).

Shoot the Rapids cost about the same as Raptor. I'd say that's a pretty decent sized investment!

It most definitely was a big investment and a nice addition to the park after White Water Landing was removed. I asked some roller coaster friends and "GP" friends (20 people) if they would specifically go to CP just for Shoot the Rapids and they said no. They do not represent the entire population but if they would pass on a semi thrilling ride on their trip, good chances so will the GP. STR is a great family ride and water ride when it is hot. I'm not saying it is an unpopular ride, what I meant was it didn't draw super huge crowds to the park from season open to close.

Who's to say Cedar Point hasn't invested in anything since 2007? The park as a whole has gone through so many improvements in those years, it's crazy! Luminosity, Windseeker, Planet Snoopy, new light package on several rides and throughout the whole park, Shoot The Rapids, new paint on Millennium Force, Dinosaurs...that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Just because a new coaster isn't revealed doesn't mean the park isn't putting millions of dollars into the park's well being.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cedar Point as much as one could love an object. I should have specified it as a "super huge crowd drawing addition". CP has done some very nice additions to the overall family fun atmosphere. I can't get mad at CP. My home park is SFGAd and I wish they could be as awesome as Cedar Fair and CP. To me, I feel Cedar Fair does things simple and does things right but I could be biased because of working at SFGAd for 9 seasons. I agree with you that CP has kept up with the parks well being and I should have clarified my first post more specifically. Out of all the changes you mentioned, painting Millennium Force was my favorite!

Ride On Friends!

It most definitely was a big investment and a nice addition to the park after White Water Landing was removed. I asked some roller coaster friends and "GP" friends (20 people) if they would specifically go to CP just for Shoot the Rapids and they said no. They do not represent the entire population but if they would pass on a semi thrilling ride on their trip, good chances so will the GP. STR is a great family ride and water ride when it is hot. I'm not saying it is an unpopular ride, what I meant was it didn't draw super huge crowds to the park from season open to close.

Not every yearly addition needs to be a "destination" attraction. CP has done a pretty fantastic job diversifying their ride and attraction collection in the last 10 years so they aren't just known as a "coaster park."

Not every yearly addition needs to be a "destination" attraction. CP has done a pretty fantastic job diversifying their ride and attraction collection in the last 10 years so they aren't just known as a "coaster park."

I agreed CP has done a very nice job with family fun in the previous post, so I will agree again. I would assume family fun to others would mean rides all ages can enjoy (coasters and flats), fun shows, fun exhibits, family eateries, and friendly themeing. If I had a family, Cedar Point would be a top place to visit every year because of the fun I know I'm guaranteed to have. Personally, I am super interested and excited to see how their hotel renovations go. I usually stay at Hotel Breakers despite the outdated rooms and amenities.

Still can't believe their last big addition was Maverick in 2007 (Shoot the Rapids doesn't count).

Shoot the Rapids cost about the same as Raptor. I'd say that's a pretty decent sized investment!

So why didn't you say, "Still can't believe their last big COASTER was Maverick in 2007"?

While that may be true, that's not exactly a good way of comparing the cost of something. If built the same year as Shoot the Rapids, Raptor would have cost upwards of 25 million dollars. Just because it was the same price back in 1994, doesn't mean anything really. If Shoot the Rapids was built in 1994, it would have only cost 5-7 million dollars based on the value of the dollar back then (not to say 5-7 is cheap by any means). So if you're going to compare the worth of two attractions, you should probably use two that weren't built 16 years apart from one another. The value of the dollar has changed quite a bit since the early 90's.

I still completely agree with what you're saying that both investments were very large, but saying Shoot the Rapids was as big of an investment as Raptor is just silly. If both attractions were built during the same time period, Raptor would cost twice as much as Shoot the Rapids theoretically.

So why didn't you say, "Still can't believe their last big COASTER was Maverick in 2007"?

Touche my friend

Plus, who's to say Top Thrill Dragster was a financial disaster? As far as I know, it is easily the most photographed/filmed roller coaster in the world. The only other coaster that's more popular in the park than TTD is Millennium...(with the exception of Raptor on some days). Just because you don't personally like a roller coaster doesn't mean it was a financial disaster...

"Disaster Transport and Top Thrill Dragster were probably the two worst investments I've ever made"

Dick Kinzel.

Also, Dragster is my 2nd Favorite ride at the park.....

"Disaster Transport and Top Thrill Dragster were probably the two worst investments I've ever made"

Dick Kinzel.

Out of curiosity, when did he say this? Was it when the ride was suffering from daily breakdowns or was it a few years later when the ride was only breaking down every other day?

From that interview, he never made it out to be a financial disaster...it just wasn't as profitable as Magnum and Millennium.

Let me rephrase, "The worst (business) decision we ever mad was putting that (Dragster) coaster in".

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear him say that. You don't know how often I am at other parks and I hear the GP talking about CP and TTD. They go hand in hand in conversation. I don't know how they determine a coasters profitability but to an outsider it looks like TTD has brought them more business.

My first visit to Cedar Point ever was for TTD. I followed the construction over the entire off-season. If one thing was for sure it was definitely a memorable experience! My mom was instantly targeted by a gull upon entering the main gate. We rode WT and maybe Power Tower before getting in line for TTD. I wanted to say we waited 6.5 hours. Right to park close it took us. There were tons of breakdowns and rollbacks. I'm not kidding you only the station was full and we were 2 trains out to ride and they shut it down.

The park gave us front of the line passes for a return visit. Being from Buffalo and 15 at the time (can't believe it has been 10 years) coming back was unlikely. My parents were pissed, hell I felt like the most let down kid ever! Anyways I made it back at the end of the season with my dad. Just the two of us took the trip back and with the passes we rode it three times. My 2 cousins did not return with so I had their passes too. To this day they have not been back I should set something up to redeem that day.

Those first few years I can see Kinzel's resentment for the ride but I would never consider it a poor investment. Although I don't ride it as much as I'd like to it is my 2nd favorite coaster at the Point after Maverick. Don't chastise me but after the first drop on Millennium I could take a nice 3 minute nap.

TTD is one of those coasters thats only worth a ride if the wait is 30 minutes or less. Millennium isnt the most thrilling ride after the drop but in all honesty I think that coaster was built for its speed and nothing much else. Having a molly orange airtime machine (Magnum) located in the same park CP needed to Intamin to create a coaster that wasnt a "bigger" Magnum and they succeeded in doing so. Us coaster enthusiest may find it boring but the GP loves it.

Edited by LazyFriday

Yeah, I question the people who love MF but hate on B&M because their coasters are "forceless". Except for the first overbank, MF is as forceful as a B&M hyper. (In my opinon, I think MF is slightly less forceful than Nitro and Apollo's Chariot, but that's probably just me.)