TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm excited to see the outcome of the new gate. I never really liked CP's gate. They have a beautiful park, yet the gate always seemed so plain to me. I think have some twisty B&M track flying through will make it a little more visually appealing, and very representative of what to expect once inside.

I'm also very glad they are redoing the gate as the old one just screamed 1980s. The next area that REALLY needs to be done is the Gemini Midway as it is dated and ugly (asphalt in a world class amusement park?!).

Anyone else find it hilarious that CP is still moving at a rapid pace with GK construction despite the snow while MM is dragging their feet in nearly perfect Cali weather?

Just saying.....

Totally agree with you. Every time I search gatekeeper's construction photos there is something new. In contrast, all I can find of Full throttle is one or two bits of track laying around.

Will windseeker be open on opening day?

Right now the Knotts web site, Windseeker will open on February 1st. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I'd imagine if they feel that they'll be done with their inspection by then they'll be able to make any necessary modifications to the other Windseekers by the time the parks open.

I know this is off topic of Gatekeeper but, If that heartline roll wouldnt have been taken off Maverick i think it would be ranked higher than it is.

Just my opinion, but i think it might have actually made it worse based off of the videos i've seen. It seems to me that it really would have whipped you around and slammed your neck into the restraints - which are in no way comfortable. I think it would have led to lots of complaints about neck pain and probably been taken out after a year or two.

But then again, i've never actually ridden it, this is just based off of the videos i've seen of it.

Not really off topic since it is about one of Cedar Point's coasters and this whole topic is about Cedar Point, not just Gatekeeper.

The heartline removal I know has been talked to death about when it was announced Maverick was going to have a delayed opening and it being removed. I personally think Maverick is a great coaster even though it has some flaws about it, mainly it's poor capacity. I don't think I'd enjoy the heartline being where it was. Literally at the bottom of a trimmed hill that comes out of a 70mph launch so I'd guess it was going at least 50mph into that heartline roll. Just didn't look comfortable in the animation. I personally think if they would of put it underneath the 1st drop, it would have been a better situation.

Maverick was the first coaster by Intamin to use this kind of LSM system in this way with smaller capacity trains and things have changed in the 5 years since it was built. I always thought it was a great concept at launch but it's execution was a disaster. Cheetah Hunt is a good example of what they learned with Maverick and the changes that was done to this kind of coaster. I haven't had the chance to go to Busch Gardens since Cheetah Hunt opened, but taking out a train and adding a car to each train increased its capacity to 80 people on the ride at once from the 72 it is on Maverick.

I know this is off topic of Gatekeeper but, If that heartline roll wouldnt have been taken off Maverick i think it would be ranked higher than it is.

Just my opinion, but i think it might have actually made it worse based off of the videos i've seen. It seems to me that it really would have whipped you around and slammed your neck into the restraints - which are in no way comfortable. I think it would have led to lots of complaints about neck pain and probably been taken out after a year or two.

But then again, i've never actually ridden it, this is just based off of the videos i've seen of it.

I see what you mean. I guess my comment was a bit off since they pretty much removed it because people would have been under extreme forces and possibly injured, but if they would have been able to insert in the layout at a more reasonable spot then it would be better off. By no means am i saying its not a good ride or anything, i actually love Mav the way it is, its just that it would have been cool to have a heartline roll in the twisty layout that wouldnt splinter you and the trains.

I see it being open. They have put a ton of work into so far in about 2 months, and they have until April when they want to start to test it. I see all the track work going up quick, but everything else (building, foliage, etc) going a maybe a bit slower. But, by the looks of things, they are on schedule and I'm thinking they should have it open by the start of the season. Well, that's what I'm hoping.

At least it's not Intamin! We have a better chance of it opening when it's supposed to.

I'm not sure if this is completely accurate, but I've been told that B&M has never had a coaster open late. Every single one has been open on time. Is that true? If it is, hopefully GateKeeper will continue that trend!

Edited by Wes