TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Having first rode Mean Streak this year (gasp! I know and I've been going to CP since 2005) I actually kind of liked the ride. Way smoother than I thought it was going to be, rode it multiple times, in all sorts of conditions, in different seats.

People on discussion boards tend to over-exaggerate just a little bit when it comes to how rough a coaster is. I first rode Mean Streak in 2001, and thanks to the discussion boards, the feeling that I had while boarding the train probably wan't too far off from the feeling an inmate on death row has as they take their seat on an electric chair. It wasn't a smooth ride by any means, but it was tolerable. The way people speak of it would have you thinking that everyone involved in the planning and construction of the ride ought to be in prison. The uninspired layout is a much bigger strike against Mean Streak IMO.

People on discussion boards tend to over-exaggerate just a little bit when it comes to how rough a coaster is. I first rode Mean Streak in 2001, and thanks to the discussion boards, the feeling that I had while boarding the train probably wan't too far off from the feeling an inmate on death row has as they take their seat on an electric chair. It wasn't a smooth ride by any means, but it was tolerable. The way people speak of it would have you thinking that everyone involved in the planning and construction of the ride ought to be in prison. The uninspired layout is a much bigger strike against Mean Streak IMO.

Ha, yeah, I've been on my fair share of rough wooden coasters, and I was expecting it to be a lot worse, as I knew people on these tend to over exaggerate, but going down the first drop in the back car as my first ride on it actually was not bad, expected more of the PTC shake, but not bad. I still think red Racer this year tops it for most painful as I had a visible bruise on my arm from riding it this year. I don't know what was up with that this year as when I rode the blue side last year, wasn't that painful, nor did any of my friends who were in the red car last year said anything.

But yes, I do have to agree with you that the layout is weak on this one. I just think Summers ran out of ideas there towards the end when he designed it, but then again, he didn't have computer models and such to show what forces were going to be applied during operation, was all done by paper and pencil and his math formulas. I think if he was still alive today, he'd be shocked to see what wooden coasters are doing now, and what happened to his Texas Giant.

Edited by Lareson

Ah! The I305-Leviathan type lift truss!

It looks awesome so far, and the colors are much better than I expected. Two tone B&M track never looked so good!

Please educate me on what a lift truss is?

I see this coaster has the same color scheme as Blue Streak

Edited by Sammy*

Please educate me on what a lift truss is?

The backbone of the track going up the lift - notice how it goes directly to the ground and sits on it's own concrete footing. X-Flight and I would think several other recent B&Ms have the same "truss going into the ground." I think Leviathan has it on both sides of the first hill; the base of the lift and on the drop...

I see this coaster has the same color scheme as Blue Streak

And Corkscrew. When I worked at the Point years ago, we would joke that at CP everything had to be either blue or "pretty" in some way. No black coasters (like Demon!) or anything too intimidating.

I don't care, as long as it's not Xcelerator colors. Really though, as long as it rides well I don't care what it looks like. I do wonder how some of these places decide the colors. They seem so random and odd. Still need to get on a wingrider one of these days!

I've always though Magnum was more of a reddish orange compared to the red on Iron Dragon and Maverick.

Wikipedia[/url]"]Magnum was awarded the ACE Coaster Landmark on June 21, 2004. Over its entire history, Magnum has only been repainted once. The original color was scarlet red. In 2005, the park started painting Magnum moly orange. It was completed in 2006. Cedar Point celebrated Magnum's 20th anniversary on opening day in 2009 with a ceremony. There was an appearance by Ron Toomer, the designer of Magnum and a new entrance sign was introduced.

As a guy who worked Magnum with some awesome Magnum fanatics, not to mention our regulars, trust me. The ride is orange