TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

2013-GateKeeper..... Will open on time, and STAY OPEN most of the season . B&M does without the million fancy techno-gadgets Intamin uses, their here to design roller coasters not techno-gadget-coasters.

Don't jinx it! You never know what could happen.

But, the track looks great. The top coat of darker blue almost resembles Millennium's to me. Can't wait to see that coaster track rising over the front of the park.

Edit: ^Beat me to it, haha.

I wonder what will become of the land between GateKeeper and Wicked Twister? Hopefully a nice viewing area/picnic area will be built there. There is quite a bit of open space to work with. And with Mr.O's leadership this might be a nice looking plaza with some foliage. Not just another 10 concrete slabs slapped together.

Yes, I agree the track looks great. Where are these pictures from? (location). Is the factory over in Europe or do they use an American plant? I'm a big B&M fan over Intamin these days. I'm looking forward to a high throughput great experience next season.

Looks Great! Although the top part of the track is darker than what was shown in the renderings. I still LOVE the paint scheme for this coaster regardless. I'm guessing the darker supports are for the station/maintenance bay?

Shouldn't be long now until we see some parts arriving on-site. I'm so glad CP went to B&M on this one. Cedar Point services millions of guests a year, the last thing they need is another half-baked Intamin coaster plagued with problems.

2002-Wicked Twister..... Towers needed constant nightly welding, LIMs had to be constantly tuned all season, Additional supports had to be added.

2003-Top Thrill Dragster..... Never Open! Constantly breaking down.

2007-Maverick..... Trains weren't designed properly to withstand forces. Entire track section had to be replaced. Capacity nightmare

2013-GateKeeper..... Will open on time, and STAY OPEN most of the season . B&M does without the million fancy techno-gadgets Intamin uses, their here to design roller coasters not techno-gadget-coasters.

Add, 2010 - Shoot The Rapids..... Late opening since the boats did not fit the flume.

Yes, I agree the track looks great. Where are these pictures from? (location). Is the factory over in Europe or do they use an American plant? I'm a big B&M fan over Intamin these days. I'm looking forward to a high throughput great experience next season.

B&M has their track plant right in Ohio. Coaster enthusiasts has stopped by there for years to see what kind of track is sitting out in their lot. When Patriot was rumored at World of Fun a enthusiast when to the plant and got pictures of not only the track but a label confirming the track was heading for World of Fun which let the cat out of the bag for everyone.

I am sure having the plant close to Cedar Point will definitely help with the time table for the ride since they will not have to stage much track but instead install it as it arrives if all goes well.

Looks Great! Although the top part of the track is darker than what was shown in the renderings. I still LOVE the paint scheme for this coaster regardless. I'm guessing the darker supports are for the station/maintenance bay?

Shouldn't be long now until we see some parts arriving on-site. I'm so glad CP went to B&M on this one. Cedar Point services millions of guests a year, the last thing they need is another half-baked Intamin coaster plagued with problems.

2002-Wicked Twister..... Towers needed constant nightly welding, LIMs had to be constantly tuned all season, Additional supports had to be added.

2003-Top Thrill Dragster..... Never Open! Constantly breaking down.

2007-Maverick..... Trains weren't designed properly to withstand forces. Entire track section had to be replaced. Capacity nightmare

What about:

2010-Millennium Force.... Brake run isn't long enough

2003-Top Thrill Dragster... Tires flew off trains

Plus, you forgot to mention all the electrical/programming problems they all (still) have simply because they're Intamins

I wonder what will become of the land between GateKeeper and Wicked Twister? Hopefully a nice viewing area/picnic area will be built there. There is quite a bit of open space to work with. And with Mr.O's leadership this might be a nice looking plaza with some foliage. Not just another 10 concrete slabs slapped together.

Or possibly queue for Gatekeeper?? Not really sure where Troika will end up either. I agree, hopefully it's not just concrete and a smoking area..

That's just it. B&M doesn't push the envelope AT ALL. Every one of their coasters is a cookie-cutter of another. Intamin is new, innovative, much more thrilling, and their rides put parks on the map. This looks like a fun and cool coaster, but the hype just isn't there for me on this one. I remember when MF and TTD were being built, the anticipation and wonder were through the roof. Gatekeeper is more of a meh feeling, because I know it's going to feel identical to B&Ms out there most of us have already ridden.

That's just it. B&M doesn't push the envelope AT ALL. Every one of their coasters is a cookie-cutter of another. Intamin is new, innovative, much more thrilling, and their rides put parks on the map. This looks like a fun and cool coaster, but the hype just isn't there for me on this one. I remember when MF and TTD were being built, the anticipation and wonder were through the roof. Gatekeeper is more of a meh feeling, because I know it's going to feel identical to B&Ms out there most of us have already ridden.

Who makes more reliable rides? B&M

Who has rides with lower maintenance? B&M

Who makes rides with little downtime? B&M

Who is the easiest to work with (based on actual park interviews and talks)? B&M

Who makes extremely high capacity rides? B&M

Cedar Point chose B&M for a reason. They make extremely high quality coasters.

This ride most likely won't have the insane issues that STR, Maverick, TTD or MF had.

Let them have their B&M. Hopefully, this will mean shorter lines in the morning for MF, Maverick, and TTD.

Wow, those shades of blue are going to look pretty sharp twisting over the front of the park. Hopefully winter won't be too bad this year as I'd like to go out to Sandusky a few times and see this thing being built from Battery Park.

Why view it from that far away? In the offseason the toll booths are open and you can just drive on in there. The parking lot may be blocked but you can get a nice view. If I have spare time I plan on popping over there from time to time.

Who is the easiest to work with (based on actual park interviews and talks)? B&M

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!

And who constantly pushes and breaks the envelope on innovation pushing the boundaries of design and thrills....... no, NOT B&M.......... Intamin

And who constantly pushes and breaks the envelope on innovation pushing the boundaries of design and thrills....... no, NOT B&M.......... Intamin

LoL! Sounds like a nice little diddy to add to the Intamin vs. B&M thread....

Let them have their B&M. Hopefully, this will mean shorter lines in the morning for MF, Maverick, and TTD.

This. This is exactly what I'm looking forward to most with Gatekeeper. I never thought I'd ever say it, but after yesterday's Liseberg announcement, I'm looking forward to a Mack coaster even more than a B&M.

Regardless, Gatekeeper will be a great coaster for what it is and balance out the park's thrill levels at the very least. Judging for the track seen so far, it'll look great doing it too...

Going to be in the area on Friday/Saturday. The weather is supposed to be perfect.

Planning on going to Cedar one or both nights (would get there on Friday at 6pm, and Saturday probably around 5).

In the past, how have the Halloween crowds been? My guess is not too bad on Friday and possibly a complete madhouse on Saturday based on my experiences elsewhere.

Only interested in the rides, will be skipping all the Halloween stuff. Planning on probably purchasing a fast lane pass on Saturday.

Any info on how it's been in the past is appreciated - again mostly curious about ride lines and such, couldn't care less about the mazes. Thanks!

Sorry, but you're going to have to call Sallycorp for ghost related problems.

Going to be in the area on Friday/Saturday. The weather is supposed to be perfect.

Planning on going to Cedar one or both nights (would get there on Friday at 6pm, and Saturday probably around 5).

In the past, how have the Halloween crowds been? My guess is not too bad on Friday and possibly a complete madhouse on Saturday based on my experiences elsewhere.

Only interested in the rides, will be skipping all the Halloween stuff. Planning on probably purchasing a fast lane pass on Saturday.

Any info on how it's been in the past is appreciated - again mostly curious about ride lines and such, couldn't care less about the mazes. Thanks!

As far as weather...not too sure about perfect, but not horrible for this time of the year. It is only supposed to be a high of 49 on Friday, but 63 on Saturday. I would say definitely bring a heavy jacket, gloves and hat...especially at night. The wind can get mighty cold coming off the lake!

We were thinking about going Friday night and coming home Saturday because, yes...the park will most likely be packed if it's nice. I've ridden everything thing there a ton of times so Fast Lane at this park isn't worth it for us. Actually, I was thinking of bringing the golf clubs and golfing on Saturday and then maybe a quick trip into the park Saturday night for a couple of the haunts.

Friday nights have traditionally been dead when we have gone in the past. Although this would probably be the latest in the season we have ever thought of going.

Anyone know if they tend to not run a lot of the coasters later in the season if it's too cold? I would imagine TTD might not run if it's too cold, but I was wondering about some of the other coasters and rides.

Seriously, they are not even done yet. How do you know it will end up like this in May? Just because they dug to put the footers in and left it like that for now, doesn't mean anything. Why don't we wait till about mid to late April to make that judgement.

I feel like the want to get as many footers in as possible before snow starts to fly .So, instead of wasting time ripping all the asphalt now, why not get a major part of the ride done right now. And do landscaping later?