TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ I am going to say just by looking at the designs that Tatsu's pretzel loop will still be more intense. I think this because Tatsu has speed built up going into the pretzel look while on Gate Keepers "Roll Over" your probably only going like 10mph if that. Not to mention that laying down through the inversion on Tatsu puts some very intense forces on your body due to its laying down position compared to a more normal sitting position.

I do agree, the flying position really seems to make it "that" much more intense. At-lest now we "East Coasters" can experience something similar

This could be CP's most intense inversion yet. That Immelmann, and the Dive loop might be grey zones too. And that CamelBack will have to be "triml-less" if the train is expected to make it through the next 2 elements. Good old-fashion beemer forces.

^Sand is a fine fill material for a foundation when it is properly compacted and restrained. That said, I wonder how they're accomplishing this on a beach with no obvious sub-grade barriers. Maybe those foundations are deeper than they look. I'm just now getting into soil mechanics as an undergrad, so I'd love to get a closer look sometime.

^I'm going to go out on a limb and say his comment was just adding to the hilarious rumor of Magnum sinking just because it is on the beach.

I'm so excited to see some groundbreaking pictures!! This is the most appealing 2013 coaster in my opinion and will most likely need some private time during construction

I have to get my 3 boys out of the house for 5 days later this week. Was considering an epic trip to Cedar Point for Friday and Saturday followed by 2 days at Dollywood. (we're from NC)

Any idea on what kind of crowds to expect on Friday night and Saturday 10/4-5? My kids (10,10,12) are too young/scared to hit the actual haunt attractions so really I'm interested in hearing what kind of lines to expect on the coasters during this time. Never been to Cedar Point near any haunt times.

Thanks all!

--Justin

Much will depend on the weather this weekend. It appears there may be some rain and that could work into your advantage if it is not a massive downpour.

It has been a few years since I have been there for Halloweekends. However, from what I have read it is still the same with crowds. Friday has a more limited operation of rides I believe and should have a moderate crowd. Saturday will most likely be very crowded with long lines. The last time I was there Mean Streak even had a real long line into the queue. Yes, I said Mean Streak…… I would hit more popular rides like Maverick and Millennium Force on Friday. Leave Sat for flat rides and smaller coasters like Cedar Creak Mine Ride and Blue Streak. Also, some of the haunts are geared for younger kids. One example would be Boo Hill.

This upcoming weekend is Columbus Day weekend. Last year on this weekend, Cedar Point hit an all-time record high of 70,000+ people on Saturday. If the weather cooperates, I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar results this year. I was there last year on that day and it was crazy.

^ I worked that day in Camp... It was an anthill... I would strongly recommend Fast Pass. Last year I was getting complaints at midnight that the entire family had only done seven or eight rides that day as all the coasters has massive lines but that is coming from a guest. lol. I remeber that they started parking cars half way down the causeway. It was shoulder to shoulder all day. However, on Sunday, the place was empty. Or at least Camp was.

It can't be. Knott's version is still closed. It says until October 20.

You have to remember that was the one with the most malfunctions... Maybe that's why the Cedar Point one is open now and Knott's isn't.

Footers are already being poured for Gatekeeper.

One small footer for the coaster, one giant leap for the coaster capital. Glad to see construction has already started!

Looks Great! Although the top part of the track is darker than what was shown in the renderings. I still LOVE the paint scheme for this coaster regardless. I'm guessing the darker supports are for the station/maintenance bay?

Shouldn't be long now until we see some parts arriving on-site. I'm so glad CP went to B&M on this one. Cedar Point services millions of guests a year, the last thing they need is another half-baked Intamin coaster plagued with problems.

2002-Wicked Twister..... Towers needed constant nightly welding, LIMs had to be constantly tuned all season, Additional supports had to be added.

2003-Top Thrill Dragster..... Never Open! Constantly breaking down.

2007-Maverick..... Trains weren't designed properly to withstand forces. Entire track section had to be replaced. Capacity nightmare

2013-GateKeeper..... Will open on time, and STAY OPEN most of the season . B&M does without the million fancy techno-gadgets Intamin uses, their here to design roller coasters not techno-gadget-coasters.