TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I know this is somewhat off-point (pun intended) and very random, but, for those who watched (and remember) the Gatekeeper "press conference" via in-person or computer, was the robed character that spoke to those attendees, some character from their Halloween event?

I meant to ask this question after the announcement and then forgot to post it. I guess I continue to contemplate the purpose of this robed, very Halloween-type character. And it is CP. And they sometimes lack strong theming. In any case, I needed to get this out there.

I'm curious to know if there was a cost savings involved in demoing it this way vs. using a crane. They're still going to have to throw money at it to cut it up and remove the scrap, and controlled demolitions are not cheap. On the the flip side, renting a crane isn't cheap either.

Either way, that was pretty cool to watch!

I'm curious to know if there was a cost savings involved in demoing it this way vs. using a crane. They're still going to have to throw money at it to cut it up and remove the scrap, and controlled demolitions are not cheap. On the the flip side, renting a crane isn't cheap either.

Either way, that was pretty cool to watch!

With as much money in scrap metal as that is, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cost CP a penny.

And how many demolitions like this we see at theme parks? Not that many. I guess CP also wanted some publicity, and so they used this to keep the interest and buzz about GateKeeper going.

I'd like to think they were all drinking at TGIF (at Hotel Breakers of course) one night and one of them said,

"Wouldn't it be kick ass if we put dynamite at the bottom of Space Spiral and just let it fall over like a tree?!?!"

And they had some pot stickers of course.

It makes me feel better to think a survival would have been possible in something like that. Not likely, just possible.

They were showing the Space Spiral coming down on the news last night and, I don't know why, it still somewhat amazes me how the cabin rolled to the very top as the tower fell.

If the windows were plexiglass, it would be cracked to hell. I'm sure the windows were made of thin scratch resistant polycarbonate. It doesn't break, it bends and it's very durable.

(Worked as a manufacturing analyst for a plastics company before I became a cop)

^ I'd be surprised if the prices fluctuated mid-season. It's certainly not something I've seen before. Obviously they will have a variety of different offers over the year depending in demand etc but I wouldn't have thought the actual gate price would change.

From Screamscape on Tuesday:

(9/11/12) Cedar Point will raise their ticket prices in time for the Halloween season, with the price of a regular one day ticket at the gate going up three bucks to $54.99 and children up five to $31.99. However you can purchase adult tickets online in advance for $10 less than the new gate price. Parking is also going up from $12 to $15. The price of a Fright Lane front of line pass for HalloWeekends will flux depending on the night you go, but will start at $30 on even the slow nights.