TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

All I was saying is that I think a lot of people on here jump to conclusions. The minute they see it is a B&M they automatically dump on it before ever even riding it. If they see it is an Intamin then they automatically think it is amazing. I saw this happen with Levithan and Skyrush. Yes, B&M's may not have been the most innovative in the past few years, although I think the wingrider layouts have been miles different from anything that Intamin tried to do with it. B&M at least perfected them and made them smooth and who did the inversion off the lift before? I agree that Intamin rides are exciting (for the most part) but I don't think they are the be all, end all of coasters. I also think that the argument that B&M's aren't forceful anymore is a moot point because not everyone likes forceful coasters. I myself prefer airtime and there are a hell of a lot of B&M's that give awesome airtime as are Intamins. If you saw my top ten they are a mix of Intamin's and B&M's. I just wish people would give it a chance before making up their mind if it will suck or not.

I was just at CP for the first time in June and I absolutely loved TTD, Maverick and Wicked Twister, but I also loved Mantis. I did not like Raptor and I thought MF straight out sucked. After riding MF, I never understood why people think it is such an amazing ride other than it was made by Intamin. Yes, I rode it at least 5 times and I rode it in the very front seat and the very back and a few in between. It was super boring, there was no airtime and the layout was lame. Ok, so it was the first coaster over 300 feet and it goes fast. Who cares? It is still forceless and boring as F**K. This is why I think that people just put everything into a name. They can tell you that B&M is forceless and has a boring layout but their number one coaster is Millennium Force. And for a company that makes the best coasters, they sure do break down a hell of a lot and have to be trimmed to death and changed 10 times before they are rideable (I305.) Just some observations but don't get me wrong, I loved El Toro, I305 and Storm Runner. I just happen to think that everything they make is not heavenly, just the same as any other company.

I for one am glad people are poo pooing the ride before it is even built. Hopefully they will not even bother getting in line. This coaster looks beautiful, especially compared to the giant duro shed that was disaster transport.

I think the coolest thing will be the effect this has on people entering the park. I know if I choose to use the front entrance this will get me amped up!

Don't get so worked up.

The first point, I can't recall anyone who is giving their opinion of the ride ever debated it against Intamin. I think it's only the people defending the ride who ever brought up Intamin. Intamin, like you said, have their own problems, and no one who is saying anything negative about this ride ever brought up Intamin. In fact, I love to make fun of Intamin as much as I do B&M. Most coaster fans I know do too.

Second point, I'm a speed fan. I like speed, which is why I hate wing-riders because most of the inversions are taken like a turtle. Everyone has their opinions and preferences. It's okay. Don't let it get to you.

^^Has there ever been a coaster announced that so called enthusiast haven't poo pooed on???

Heck GOD could construct a coaster and trust and believe some of these people would still find issues with it, It could start with a dark ride through hell and a launch up to heaven and the first complaints would be Hell wasn't up to Disney quality and the launch was weak

Is everyone serious about this "Backwards" thing? It was a cheap edit in the video to show the entire track. NOT an actual part of the ride. Cedar Point stated it is a "Full-Circut Wing Rider" and I'm positive they arent going to have the ride go forwards, then backwards and forwards again. Theres no point in it the coaster wouldnt even make it up the keyholes twice backwards anyways. Its simply a full circut coaster. Forwards once. The 2:40 ride time probably counts the lift hill and break section... obviously common sense. and if it were to go backwards they wouldve said it. I cant help but say this is going to be a phenomial ride both for the riders and spectators, and knowing Cedar Point and their new "Ignite the Night" thing, this is probably going to have a cool light package like the Millennium Force. I'm excited to ride this next summer but many people will be depressed to ride if theyre expecing it to go backwards. Sorry everyone who thinks that, its not true.

I doubt anyone on the forum is serious about it going backwards... The CP Facebook Page well, some people on there may be ignorant enough to believe that. But don't worry, nobody here believes it goes backwards.

:| Is everyone serious about this "Backwards" thing? It was a cheap edit in the video to show the entire track. NOT an actual part of the ride. Cedar Point stated it is a "Full-Circut Wing Rider" and I'm positive they arent going to have the ride go forwards, then backwards and forwards again. Theres no point in it the coaster wouldnt even make it up the keyholes twice backwards anyways. Its simply a full circut coaster. Forwards once. The 2:40 ride time probably counts the lift hill and break section... obviously common sense. and if it were to go backwards they wouldve said it. I cant help but say this is going to be a phenomial ride both for the riders and spectators, and knowing Cedar Point and their new "Ignite the Night" thing, this is probably going to have a cool light package like the Millennium Force. I'm excited to ride this next summer but many people will be depressed to ride if theyre expecing it to go backwards. Sorry everyone who thinks that, its not true.

f.png

Just because we really think this will go backwards.

I'm with ya Johnny, Gatekeeper is perfect for the park and GP. Given all the comments so far, I don't think enthusiasts will ever be happy and relish in complaining. I'm going to bring some cheese to the opening for all the whiners. None of us have ridden the ride yet, but many are predicting it will be forceless. (how?) And then when rides like Skyrush open and produce extreme forces with lap bars, people complain about how their legs hurt. Every ride is different, every manufacturer is different, and parks do their best to deliver to their customers. Sure problems occur and the great parks address them asap. Gatekeeper is made by B&M so it will be a capacity monster and reliable, while it's design will "wow" the GP and really make a powerful statement at the front gate.

I for one am thrilled with the new management and believe they are making all the right decisions moving forward.

After doing a "WTF was Canada's Wonderland thinking" when they announced Leviathan around this time last year, I won't say anything negative until I ride this next year.

After listening to the Q&A session at Leviathan Bash this year, it rang true with me with the reasoning as to why they built it - I feel this coaster may fall into the same realm. They need to draw people back towards the front of the park with a really good coaster that will get people's attention - this will fit the bill perfectly & totally freak out the GP when they enter the park.

Personal note: My bad for acting like I was some sort of media relations guru with my "fly by the seat of my pants opinion about Leviathan last year" - I will admit that I totally got served after the Bash. Levi & Behemoth are NOT the same coasters...and they are both extremely good coasters!

Personally, I think that this announcement is nothing unusual for the Point over the years. Take a coaster (or ride) that has already been prototyped at other parks and once the bugs are worked out, propose that they build you a bigger one with a substantially different higher, faster, crazier layout...exclusively for Cedar Point so they can claim a crown, even if only for a little while.

Not much different than when they introduced Raptor, Mean Streak, Mantis, Wicked Twister or Magnum...amongst others. They want higher, faster, etc at their original home park...I think that's kinda cool myself.

Cedar Point has been the poster child for doing this from day one & some people need to just realize that this is the way they roll. Why are people (especially adults over 25) so surprised by this announcement?

I haven't been on a Wingrider yet, but am personally excited about this coaster. They were building Wild Eagle at Dollywood when we were there over Christmas and while I knew it wasn't going to be the OMFG thrill ride of the century, it just looked like a lot of fun. I hope that I can get back there soon to enjoy it.

I think this coaster will be similar and think it's absolutely a perfect fit and replacement for the rides being removed. Who can deny that Disaster Transport sucked and Space Spiral was past it's life span? A big lift next to Lake Erie with a roll dive into 2:00 minutes of pure insanity around the front gate, integrated parking lot, lake, games area... sounds much more insane to me!

Who's with me?

Being that they probably won't bring back the Chinese Heroin/Prostitute House dark ride from back in the day (in the same area)...this is the next best thing, folks!

If there is a TPR trip to CP next year with early and night ERT on Gatekeeper, count me in now!!!

Edit after Elissa's post....The Old Fahrts are in!!!!!

:| Is everyone serious about this "Backwards" thing? It was a cheap edit in the video to show the entire track. NOT an actual part of the ride. Cedar Point stated it is a "Full-Circut Wing Rider" and I'm positive they arent going to have the ride go forwards, then backwards and forwards again. Theres no point in it the coaster wouldnt even make it up the keyholes twice backwards anyways. Its simply a full circut coaster. Forwards once. The 2:40 ride time probably counts the lift hill and break section... obviously common sense. and if it were to go backwards they wouldve said it. I cant help but say this is going to be a phenomial ride both for the riders and spectators, and knowing Cedar Point and their new "Ignite the Night" thing, this is probably going to have a cool light package like the Millennium Force. I'm excited to ride this next summer but many people will be depressed to ride if theyre expecing it to go backwards. Sorry everyone who thinks that, its not true.

Ugh. I don't know what's worse: the asinine comments or the horrible grammar and spelling? Can you just ban this newbie for fun?

Thanks!

I might be up for that trip

B&M could be faulted for shying away from the intense rides that they made before, as we enthusiasts really enjoy them. On the other hand, if you look at the sucess rate they have had with their rides in regards of the response of the majority of people who ride them (the GP) and the fact that parks still turn to them for more rides and will pay them for it, I can't blame them for sticking with a winning formula. The same way that a baseball team may not have as many players who hit homeruns, but they still win games by making multiple base hits (Sorry that I couldn't come up with another analogy to give for the non-sports fans on here).

For me, I really like the whole idea of this ride, as the setting really makes this coaster unique, especially the interaction with the front gate. Plus this looks like the kind of ride I would go on and repeat a few times and still thinks it is a fun ride. Might not be one that makes me yell "HOLY S***" everytime I ride it, but it will still be a fun ride.

On a side note, who cares if people want to complain? It is their right to share what they like and dislike about a ride as much as it is your right to say that you think this is going to be like the second comming of Jesus. Does their opinion change your life at all? Not really. Just my two cents

-Gary T.

BTW - For those of you who don't know...TPR is planning a 2013 Tour that will include Cedar Point!

Off Topic but when will the tours be announced? Assuming it's a midwest trip that will include SDC I'd love to go. (May have to convince my parents though) .

Back on topic I really hope these dive's right off the lift-hill catch on. That was my favorite part of X-Flight in the back left seat.

My personal opinion is that GateKeeper looks absolutely awesome, and I am making my first trip to CP to ride it next year. I think it's cool that it was "officially" announced on my birthday as well.

I can't judge any coaster without riding it, but I think this one might end up surprising some people. It looks to be to Wing Coasters what Tatsu is to Flying Coasters. Having ridden Wild Eagle quite a few times (which is my favorite coaster at Dollywood), seeing the elements on this and the size of it coupled with 8-car trains leads me to believe it might be a shade more forceful that some are expecting.

Even if it isn't very forceful, I can tell it will be a ride I would enjoy and it looks as if it could crack my top ten or even top five. Then again, Silver Bullet at Knott's is in my top five. Personal top lists to me are not always the best gauge, or any gauge to judge a ride, though. I guess it's all in what you look for in a coaster and for me, amount of forces is secondary to how enjoyable of a ride it is overall, if that makes sense. Some of the older B&M's are great, but for example, the B:TR clones-I can only ride one or two times and I'm done for a while. Some of the newer ones, I could marathon and enjoy over and over and that is one of my personal criteria for a top ride.....everyone is different.

BTW - For those of you who don't know...TPR is planning a 2013 Tour that will include Cedar Point!

Off Topic but when will the tours be announced? Assuming it's a midwest trip that will include SDC I'd love to go. (May have to convince my parents though) .

Tours will be announced in early October, and yes the CP Tour will also include SDC!

^^ That sounds just awesome. One of these years I am going to join you guys, Hope KT isn't on the big rides before I can make it. A Cedar point trip with TPR is honestly my dream trip even though I have been there many times. Silver Dollar City also ran quickly up my list with my recent trip to Dollywood and the announcement of Outlaw.

I'm scanning some of the old stuff I have here and found a 2004 Cedar Point Getaway Guide in the mix. I thought I'd share some of the relevant pages (relevant meaning it's not just a page of accommodation prices):

Has anyone possibly thought this completely through.....Maybe Cedar Fair is thinking about creating a highly marketable product that will excite everyone instead of just catering only to enthusiasts. I just want to put this out there for perspective. When cedar point has built a new ride they have always tried to build the latest and best version of the current and new style. Magnum was the first to go over 200 feet, SFGam Built Batman in 1992, the cedar point commissioned an improved version of it next building Raptor. Mantis was the biggest Stand-Up for its time, Millennium force was the first to go over 300 and of course TTD was the first over 400, but again was the next evolution of a new style. I think the Haters out there forget that the coaster enthusiast is only a small portion of who they market to and this is a great way to add to the park (in an area of the park that really needed some revitalization) in a way that only adds variety as well as marketability to the park. I think they will only have success with this!

One more thing, can you think of any better way to put an exclamation point on the front of the park?