TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The first drop is almost like a pretzel loop dive, but without the speed. I kinda wish that element had more speed on it. I hate the slow inversions that come with this style of ride. We'll see though.

Im guessing you like Tatsu, No?

Yeah it was fine and all, but even that was another example of a B&M that left me un-impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good ride, but to me, B&M have been building things too big, and the bigger they go, the less force they have. I don't want to bring up a debate about B&M or anything, but they've really been lacking in the coaster department recently. There have been a few gems in the rough, yes, but the majority of B&Ms have just been so unimpressive. I miss the B&M of the 90's when they were building rides that packed such a front to back punch. In the past 10 years, I've only really walked away from maybe 3 or 4 B&Ms feeling "WOW!"

I just don't think a wing rider was the best choice for Cedar Point, that's all.

I know this will be a great addition to the park, and might be proven wrong here, but I just don't see it. The only thing good about Wing-riders are the proximity effect, which this doesn't have THAT much of. Two key holes, yes, but meh. I think that's where Dollywood did well, was the location. But overall, I just don't see this style of coaster lasting.

^Same here. That and the trees in a few spots. It appears Gatekeeper might have a few of these surprise moments, possibly even one on the left side when the train goes into the first immelmann and passes under the stair of the lift.

Cedar Point is getting a new coaster! Look people! They've answered your anguished cries of need! Then masses of people appear sad and dejected about it being a B&M Wingrider.

Ok. That's cool. Didn't realize something had to be the latest and greatest for it to be a good ride.

At least wait till we see how it turns out before passing Judgement on it! Look at Superman! That surprised a lot of people this year!

This is amazing. CP finally gets the mega-looping people eater it's deserved for years, and half the response is complaining about how underwhelmed people are by this.

What, pray tell, should they have got? What miraculous feat of coaster engineering would be preferred over a 7-inversion B&M Wingrider with two keyholes? Yes, we all want Mean Streak to come down or get the Iron Horse makeover, but can we be happy CP has finally got something not only worthy of their massive collection, but also something they've needed for a number of years now? I mean, really, did I see someone complain about how B&M needs to "move on" from Wingriders. This is the 5th Wingrider from B&M in the world? Can we give them a little more time before we write them off in comparison to Stand-Ups? And what's with the complaints about them being forceless? Ride them in the back. Especially this one. If it's anything like X-Flight, the G-force on that first drop will flatten you like a pancake in the back.

Not every coaster can be the best in the world. This looks like a heck of a lot of fun and will thin out the lines at the current Big 3. Bring it on.

I have to say this ride looks really cool just one thing I think would have made the ride cooler is if the second roll over the gate were to be an inline twist like X Flight with maybe a tunnel or maybe if it had a jo jo roll off the MCBR. Also they didn't say the first inversion was the world record because they know that SFMM will have the record with full throttle.(just kidding but you never know??)

It seems that the only thing that's going to satiate the CP fanboys is yet another Intamin giant-hill launcher that makes you black out 5 seconds into it. Am I the only one who doesn't care about the height or "force" of a coaster? As long as its a fun ride, I'm game, and Gatekeeper looks like its gonna be a hell of a fun ride. I love a steelie where inversions are the biggest focal point.

Yeah it was fine and all, but even that was another example of a B&M that left me un-impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good ride, but to me, B&M have been building things too big, and the bigger they go, the less force they have. I don't want to bring up a debate about B&M or anything, but they've really been lacking in the coaster department recently. There have been a few gems in the rough, yes, but the majority of B&Ms have just been so unimpressive. I miss the B&M of the 90's when they were building rides that packed such a front to back punch. In the past 10 years, I've only really walked away from maybe 3 or 4 B&Ms feeling "WOW!"

No debating this. It speaks for itself that a bunch of relocated '90s coasters (Green Lantern, Monster, Goliath, and Apocalypse) top the list of recent B&M additions that show some force. On the bright side- I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of X-Flight and came away happy about how that one turned out. It's not the new Batman by any means, but more importantly it's not the new Superman either. Baby steps?

Wait, it goes backwards?! Crap!

On a serious note, this looks amazing. Its long, fast, and seems like it has some decent airtime too. And the double-keyhole thing is like the icing on the cake. Magic Mountain, announce your stuff, dammit, you're getting owned!

What miraculous feat of coaster engineering would be preferred over a 7-inversion B&M Wingrider with two keyholes?

Well, a 7-inversion B&M Wingrider with two keyholes may have been preferred over the 6-inversion one the park is actually getting...

... I'm just going to shut up now.

This version of the Wingrider may have it figured out. We will see. This layout is night and day better compared to WIld Eagle. IMO Wild Eagle would be very near the bottom of my list of B&M's that I have been on,I just don't love them but they are a coaster and therefore fun. I would think Gatekeeper is going to be considerably better. I will be there with bells on in June...and I still hope they move on to something else. If Gatekeeper represents the beginning of the next stage for Wingriders and not the ceiling, I will stand corrected.

This version of the Wingrider may have it figured out. We will see. This layout is night and day better compared to WIld Eagle. IMO Wild Eagle would be very near the bottom of my list of B&M's that I have been on,I just don't love them but they are a coaster and therefore fun. I would think Gatekeeper is going to be considerably better. I will be there with bells on in June...and I still hope they move on to something else. If Gatekeeper represents the beginning of the next stage for Wingriders and not the ceiling, I will stand corrected.

Wild Eagle was fun. I wish it was longer, but it was still a very good ride. It has really good speed through the inversions and was pretty intense I thought (especially in the helix). Overall I enjoyed it. The view from the top was incredible. But, I guess agree to disagree.

Am I the only one laughing at the color names? Read them:

Track: Azure Blue (dark blue) and Strata Blue (light blue) track

Train colors: Sunset Gold, with Zenith Gold, Meteor Gold and Orion Gold accents

Anyone who thinks a ride is going to have a capacity of 1700 PPH and go "backwards" yet still be full-circuit as stated in the description...SMH

The most they could do for that is turn the cars around some 10-20 years, pulling a six-flags "WE MADE A NEW RIDE (we just turned the cars around)."

I'm actually going to let that sink in for a moment; a backwards wing-rider.

On a like note, 1700 PPH?! B&M is always known for making "capacity whores", but that's really impressive nonetheless.

I'm with Elissa on this one honestly, the wing rider style isn't my favorite. It's just such a big train they can't seem to get any decent forces out of them. Gardaland's prototype was alright for what it was, but X-flight didn't do too much to thrill me. They seem like mediocre filler rides at best. That being said, this layout looks like a big step in the right direction to turn these rides into 'star attractions' and maybe get some power behind them. If Gatekeeper doesn't ride any more impressively though, I'm all for moving on from the wing-rider. This'll be a good test