TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Not sure what is lame about "GateKeeper", it's a name that implies gargoyles and being watched from above. This is Cedar Fair, home of "Intimidator _Insert Height Here_", "Millenium Force" (what the hell is a Millenium Force?), "Flight Deck", "_Insert Xtreme Word Here_ Hawk", and more "Flight Deck". Frankly, GateKeeper is one of the better coaster name Cedar Fair has come up with in recent years.

Leviathan, that name still surprises me. I may dare even say that's on Disney Level. Of course with less pixy dust.

I think it looks great. It's very "Cedar Point." And while I could see people not thinking much of the name, considering where it's at (in every sense), I think it works well.

Also, Cedar Point's main entrance is a bit understated as it stands. So this fixes that in a way that, again, just screams, "Cedar Point."

I think it looks great. It's very "Cedar Point." And while I could see people not thinking much of the name, considering where it's at (in every sense), I think it works well.

Also, Cedar Point's main entrance is a bit understated as it stands. So this fixes that in a way that, again, just screams, "Cedar Point."

Couldn't have said it better myself, Erik.

Question, never having been to Cedar Point I'm just curious. Are they moving the main entrance, or is this the same main entrance they've always had, just with the addition of Gatekeeper?

Refer to this picture.

media.cleveland.com/business_impact/photo/cedar-point-gatekeeperjpg-d208a7820354fd61.jpg

And compare it to this one.

farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/3539509536_c714abb1b6.jpg

To those who do not understand the significance of the MCBR being where it is...

The end of the ride may be a bit lackluster to you but think of the positives:

The pacing of this ride will be amazing, it won't lose alot of speed assuming the ride isn't overtrimmed.

Gatekeeper will likely run all three of those beautiful gold trains making the capacity optimal and the queue line keep moving. I see it as a very good thing!

Yea, the placement of it is entirely due to timing. Theres a formula when it comes to determining optimal placement with regards to dispatch, how long it takes to get up the lift and how long it takes to traverse that first part of the track. Would it be better with a longer ending? Sure. I could re-arrange Voyage which I feel personally is almost perfect and add something to it.

But for what it is, I think its going to be great. It will be INSANELY photogenic with that scheme. I cannot wait to get my camera to feast its lens on it.

In a way the layout seems a lot like Wild Eagle. Great first 3/4 and then the last 1/4 seems to be meandering slowly back to the station and get rid of you. Kind of a bummer to end on.

The GP will eat this up and I *LOVE* the name, it's sooooo Cedar Point!

So are Wing Riders the new Inverts? I really don't like them very much and hope B&M moves onto something else quickly.

^I enjoyed Wild Eagle (hard to beat the setting), but I thought the most surprising thing about it was that weird little surge it makes after you hit the brakes at the end (when it whips around the corner into the station).

Cedar Point is thinking, "So, Great America has a 'keyhole' element, eh? Well, we will give them two! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

To those who do not understand the significance of the MCBR being where it is...

The end of the ride may be a bit lackluster to you but think of the positives:

The pacing of this ride will be amazing, it won't lose alot of speed assuming the ride isn't overtrimmed.

Gatekeeper will likely run all three of those beautiful gold trains making the capacity optimal and the queue line keep moving. I see it as a very good thing!

And for those who don't fast passes, they won't have to run to the back of the park to ride Maverick and TTD. The GB will be going either left of right once inside the gate.

My only complaint which is really minor is the name gatekeeper is pretty lame in my opinion.

They could have done a lot worse.

Probably because I just watched the movie for the first time very recently, but I associated the name with this guy (edit: Heimdall is the name) - the gatekeeper from Thor.

The gold wheel covers even look just like his helmet.

Edited by Ed Farmer

It's weird that the Aquatrax is the last interesting thing they've put into the park. I'm still patiently waiting for Cedar Point to start acting more like innovative Europe and less like cookie cutter America. Oh well.

I'm fully expecting Knott's to announce one, just to balance out the country-wide wingrider distribution.

^ Exactly. That's why I was kinda hoping Maverick would be a turning point. Management doesn't agree with me though. Then again, I'm not sure why I'd expect anything more...we're talking about a park that doesn't even have a dark ride.

I'll just take it up with the Morlocks the next time I'm in town.

^I enjoyed Wild Eagle (hard to beat the setting), but I thought the most surprising thing about it was that weird little surge it makes after you hit the brakes at the end (when it whips around the corner into the station).

Cedar Point is thinking, "So, Great America has a 'keyhole' element, eh? Well, we will give them two! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

That's funny, I thought the same thing. It is a fun ride though and Gatekeeper looks quite a bit better to me. I have to agree with SharkTums in hoping B&M move on to something else pretty quick. The wingriders are better than the stand-ups but not nearly as good as the inverts. I remeber the first time I rode Raptor and thinking, thats freaking awesome, I want to feel that way about B&M again. I love the dive Machines and the hypers and the inverts are just awesome.

I definitely have to get out to Cedar Point next year! Fast Pass is definitely a must especially with how long lines for this ride will get!

LOL...I'm thinking if it's as dull as people say, it'll be a nice crowd absorber, allowing the rest of us to enjoy the big 3, Millie, Mav and TTD. I did buy the Fast Passes this year for my son and I's annual trip. Will never go again without purchasing them. We got in 5 rides on Mav, Millie, TTD, and seven on Raptor. We could have easily doubled that, but he can't handle riding those more just yet. But it was so nice not to have to rush around the park.

That's funny, I thought the same thing. It is a fun ride though and Gatekeeper looks quite a bit better to me. I have to agree with SharkTums in hoping B&M move on to something else pretty quick. The wingriders are better than the stand-ups but not nearly as good as the inverts. I remeber the first time I rode Raptor and thinking, thats freaking awesome, I want to feel that way about B&M again. I love the dive Machines and the hypers and the inverts are just awesome.

I haven't rode one yet, so the Gate keeper will be my first. But after looking at all the pictures, and reading the reports, my intial impression is that BM needs to design elements specifically for this type coaster, and not just keep laying out the tried and true for their other coasters.

I think they are on the right track with the wing over drop. That is definitely the 'signature' of the latest wing riders, however, I agree that new elements, especially for a new style of ride, are always welcomed. With that said, this definitely looks to be one of the most exciting new additions in 2013!

I definitely have to get out to Cedar Point next year! Fast Pass is definitely a must especially with how long lines for this ride will get!

LOL...I'm thinking if it's as dull as people say, it'll be a nice crowd absorber, allowing the rest of us to enjoy the big 3, Millie, Mav and TTD. I did buy the Fast Passes this year for my son and I's annual trip. Will never go again without purchasing them. We got in 5 rides on Mav, Millie, TTD, and seven on Raptor. We could have easily doubled that, but he can't handle riding those more just yet. But it was so nice not to have to rush around the park.

I love Cedar Fair's Fast Pass Program it's more like a exit pass to think about it, when i went to Knots I completed the whole park 3 times with that thing! It's worth every penny and much better then the flash pass program where silver is 100$ and plus. Having a fast pass at cedar point is practically having the park to yourself as far as getting rides in goes. I hope they keep it the way it is.