TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I understand what it's for, it just doesn't seem like it would have too much use that late into the circuit with so little track afterwards. Right, in terms of operation, a MCBR is only useful with a 3 train operation. It's always appeared to me that the train is never sent out of the station until the train in front has cleared the MCBR, this might just be because they are still loading passengers, but if that's the case then it doesn't matter which of those is the reason. Then with so little track after it, that 1st train is going to stack behind the 3rd for most of the time it's being loaded, So in theory (in my mind anyways) There would only be 10-15 seconds of time that 3rd train is filling (the time it takes to get from the MCBR to the final brakes).

I've heard the other wing riders load slower than the typical B&M, likely do to having to regulate guests loading and exiting on 2 sides of the train at the same time. This ride is longer in length, but it is the only wing rider that will have a MCBR.

Better safe than sorry. Suppose train 1 is in the station, train 2 is going up the hill, and train 3 is on the course. Train 2 is about half way up the lift hill when train 3 passes the MCBR. Without it train 2 would have to stop on the lift hill until train 3 hits the final brakes. It's just more effective to have an MCBR than rush to get the trains out of the station so there isn't stacking.

I think it's fantastic, judging from the photos, that were will be no supports in between the keyholes. Thanks makes it more of a beauty for me.

This. I'm very impressed, and I think this will be an excellent addition for Cedar Point. This appears to finally provide a perfect balance between inversion-centric and airtime/speed-centric coasters at CP, which, all things considered, is awesome news.

The keyholes might be where the supports are, just that the keyholes are hiding the supports.

Also, that rumored layout some may remember on this thread from a few months ago:

It seems that rumored layout was true.

I've heard the other wing riders load slower than the typical B&M, likely do to having to regulate guests loading and exiting on 2 sides of the train at the same time. This ride is longer in length, but it is the only wing rider that will have a MCBR.

With a good crew they can load very quickly. X - Flight rarely stacks and is usually sending a train up the lifts every 2 minutes or so. This thing will have a great capacity if the ride crew can be fast and efficient.

It is actually nice to see an MCBR, so now three train ops are possible.

Oh, and many newer B&M's can dispatch before the train hits the MCBR. It is just difficult to load that quickly. I have seen I232 dispatch as soon as the hill after the hammerhead, even though the MCBR is close to the end (although it is at the top of the following hill). Also, I once saw Steel Force, with three trains running, dispatch while the previous train was cresting the third hill, which is a bit far from the MCBR. Now, it doesn't really matter how far back you put the MCBR; the train can still dispatch while the previous one is halfway through the course.

^It's all timed up to how long it takes a train to crest the lift hill. Magnum is a great example. Often times you'll see them dispatch a train as the train before it is cresting the 2nd hill, and there isn't another block brake until the very end of the ride. However, it takes well over a minute for the train to crest the lift hill after leaving the station, so they are able to dispatch it well before the train ahead of it ever finishes the course. Most hypers are timed up in a similar manner since it takes a while for them to climb the lift hill.

Looks like a really awesome ride in the making, even though IMO the name is lame (for a coaster, that is - anything in a park named "Gatekeeper" screams "darkride!" to me, or perhaps some kind of Gothic-themed simulator like Darkcastle at BGE). The other thing is this will certainly trap crowds at the front of the park, at least for opening year, so early lines for any of the coasters further back in the park should be much shorter.

The keyholes might be where the supports are, just that the keyholes are hiding the supports.

To me, it looks like the supports are exactly where you'd expect them to be, with thin walls built around them to make the keyholes. I'm probably wrong though.

To me, it looks like the supports are exactly where you'd expect them to be, with thin walls built around them to make the keyholes. I'm probably wrong though.

You said essentially the same exact thing as XYZ did. Supports are there, hidden in the keyhole structures.

I hope it's considerably better than Wild Eagle. I would like to know who has ridden a wingrider and is excited about this ride. It is going to look a lot better over in that corner of the park and is a huge upgrade over DT.

I've rode X-Flight, and this looks absolutely amazing, especially that first drop directly into the immelman. That should be seriously intense.

Here's a thought, do you think it'll be filled with sand or have the classic B&M roar? Personally I hope it's quiet that way it'll belike it's soaring above the entrance keeping watch from above .

I do think it is going to have the B&M roar since Cedar Point has no noise restrictions out on the peninsula. So basically why spend money to quiet something that doesn't need to be.

You said essentially the same exact thing as XYZ did. Supports are there, hidden in the keyhole structures.

Yeah, but personally I think that the supports are going to be inclosed INSIDE the gate structure that forms the keyholes.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.