TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I could see them adding a new kiddie coaster in the vicinity of Planet Snoopy somewhere to balance it out a little bit, considering their other two are a hike away over by Gemini.

I only see one coaster being added,not two....Kinzel never went so far as to add two coasters at CP just to satisfy his overinflated ego & since he's gone & Matt Q is in charge he's gonna follow a more cost effective plan especially since there are other parks in the chain that need new captial investments as well.

I could see them adding a new kiddie coaster in the vicinity of Planet Snoopy somewhere to balance it out a little bit, considering their other two are a hike away over by Gemini.

I only see one coaster being added,not two....Kinzel never went so far as to add two coasters at CP just to satisfy his overinflated ego & since he's gone & Matt Q is in charge he's gonna follow a more cost effective plan especially since there are other parks in the chain that need new captial investments as well.

This is seems like the most reasonable post here. Cp is trying to regain its coaster count by adding another one, that was the general message. Some people read to far into things and assume there will be two coasters. If there is to be second attraction, i doubt it will be a second coaster, maybe a nice thrill/flat at most. Possibly a new/redone games building to go with the new coaster.

This is seems like the most reasonable post here. Cp is trying to regain its coaster count by adding another one, that was the general message. Some people read to far into things and assume there will be two coasters. If there is to be second attraction, i doubt it will be a second coaster, maybe a nice thrill/flat at most. Possibly a new/redone games building to go with the new coaster.

If they are trying to regain their coaster count (and surpass MM) they are going to have to add more than one with the rumored 2013 MM coaster.

I don't think that Cedar Point is going to be building two roller coasters.

For one thing, it would appear as though Wildcat's removal was unexpected. The 2013 project was probably put into motion months or even years before Wildcat's incident happened, and Cedar Point had expected that Wildcat would be operating for at least several more years. Remember that parks don't make "last-minute" decisions for new projects, they plan very far in advance.

^ This is a quote from Steve after the same thing was said in this thread. I would consider him pretty well "in the know."

^They might have concepts and ideas mapped out 5 years in advance, but they surely won't have an exact manufacturer picked out until much closer to the time it's going to be built. It's not like they had Mondial picked out for Windseeker back in 2006, because Mondial hadn't even started making them that far back. Same goes with Shoot the Rapids. As far up as late 2008/early 2009, they still hadn't decided on a manufacturer for it yet.

They certainly have plans, but if it's 5 years in advance, most of those plans are very basic.

I don't know if they are adding a kiddie coaster or not, but I was simply saying that it would make sense if they did in the Planet Snoopy area. I'm sure it doesn't take much planning at all to build a coaster that is 20 feet tall and under 500-600 feet long, if that's the route they are going.

Either way, this just reaffirms that Cedar Point desperately needs some form of an indoor ride or dark ride.

If they are trying to regain their coaster count (and surpass MM) they are going to have to add more than one with the rumored 2013 MM coaster.

This is where everyone is making their over-assumptions. Cp is trying to regain there coaster count, yes. But who said anything about MM? Cp is focusing on how to improve the park, not compete with a park that is a total opposite.

I don't think that Matt Q is interested in playing that rather pointless game as much,if at all anymore....like I pointed out that was Kinzel's thing & with a new CEO in charge we're probably looking at the chain heading in a totally new direction since coaster counts only serve as a marketing tool & aren't what bring in the money since no one but enthusiasts (which make up a small percentage of their customer base) are gonna care about how many coasters some park in another market thousands of miles away has.

This is where everyone is making their over-assumptions. Cp is trying to regain there coaster count, yes. But who said anything about MM? Cp is focusing on how to improve the park, not compete with a park that is a total opposite.

Regain their coaster count... for themselves?

since coaster counts only serve as a marketing tool & aren't what bring in the money since no one but enthusiasts (which make up a small percentage of their customer base) are gonna care about how many coasters some park in another market thousands of miles away has.

I disagree. Efficient marketing IS what brings in the money! Cedar Point wouldn't have spent so much time and effort marketing themselves as "America's Roller Coast, the Coaster Capital of the World" for all those years if it wasn't worth it and didn't produce a marginally decent ROI. Cedar Point is a resort destination that attracts people from all around the world, and I'd be willing to bet that the fact that they always broke records and had the most (albeit not necessarily the best) coasters in the world definitely attracted more people.

I remember back when TTD was built, the park was overrun with hundreds of Japanese people who trekked thousands of miles to see the park that had the most coasters, and to try out the biggest and baddest coaster on Earth at the time. I thought I was at Disney World or even in a foreign country. It still amazes me how many people are still completely and utterly amazed by TTD, even a decade later. Every time someone I know goes to Cedar Point for the first time, or who hasn't been there in a while I always get the same reaction, "Have you heard about that Dragster ride?!! That thing's insane!!"

I was just thinking - will Troika also be removed or relocated since it is in the shadow of DT's lift hill? I'd hate to see it go but it is an old ride and with the recent cleaning house going on up there it wouldn't surprise me either.

I doubt it will be scrapped from the park. Although I wonder if Wicked Twister will be closed during parts of the Demolition, the front spike is only about 15' away.

They won't relocate any rides into where Wildcat was. The MAIN reason that Wildcat was removed is to make more room for Luminosity viewing. Don't be surprised if in the off season you see the control booth and such pushed back into that area....

New blog post-

Disaster Transport had its final dispatch, Space Spiral will soon give its last views. We're Cedar Point. We wouldn't take all that out for nothing.

The attatched image says "How do you recover from a DISASTER?"

http://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/81312

It looks like the winged logo is behind bars, could it be a theme of a monster let loose? Or, the text leads me to believe it could be a successor to DT, with a disaster theme not unlike Swarm.