TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Well, Kingda Ka is definitely of "extreme height," even it if is a one-trick pony. Not surprised at the outcome of this week's episode.

I305 and Steel Dragon 2000 would of been better competitors, my opinion. I wish they would of made 6 competitors instead of 4 But it was still entertaining regardless.

I still don't see how Aftershock (Giant Inverted Boomerang) beat Montu, Alpengeist and Shiekra?

It's because that show's polls are rigged from the start.I don't hardly see thousands of joe public flocking to their website & voting in that poll let alone watching the show so they have to pick a winner at random & besides the parks pay in advance to have their rides featured so they know in the end what the outcome is gonna be.

Well DT & SS have come to the official end of their useful lives,n.ow it's time to get back to speculation on their future replacement so let the name guessing continue at will

^I was reading some posts on Point Buzz and it looks like DT is already surrounded by walls and pre-demolition work is well under way. The article below says that August 6th is when the crane will come in and start ripping the building apart. It also mentions that a track piece and 2 cars will be donated to the National Roller Coaster Museum in Arlington, Texas. Its a very good article so read it!!!

http://www.wkyc.com/entertainment/article/254308/110/Cedar-Point-Fans-say-goodbye-to-Disaster-Transport

I remember hearing Dick Kinzel being interviewed on "The Motley Fool" in 2005 (I think). When asked what was the "biggest mistake" his company had ever made, he said "Disaster Transport."

Edited by cfc

I heard a story once (I think at CoasterMania) from Dick Kinzel. He said when DT was new (with the building and stuff), somebody came out and said something like "You got the name right, that ride is a disaster!" I would have liked it back then, because of the effects, (I wasn't born back then!) which were not functioning when the ride was decommissioned. I hope I can get some good views of the track being dismantled from Space Spiral before it too is demolished!

BTW, I have a friend who I go to CP with sometimes. Like me, he is sort of a coaster enthusiast, and has even told me some facts I don't know (that Bizarro at SFGadv has two seats instead of 4 in the back row). He says Avalanche Run was enclosed because sand was blowing onto the track. Is this true? I doubt this, considering there is no sand blowing that I see now. Even if it was built on a sandy area, pictures show that the low parts of the track were on concrete.

I remember hearing Dick Kinzel being interviewed on "The Motley Fool" in 2005 (I think). When asked what was the "biggest mistake" his company had ever made, he said "Disaster Transport."

And the Roller Coaster Museum wants parts from this ride? Is it for the "Ride Blunders and Failures" exhibit?

I heard a story once (I think at CoasterMania) from Dick Kinzel. He said when DT was new (with the building and stuff), somebody came out and said something like "You got the name right, that ride is a disaster!" I would have liked it back then, because of the effects, (I wasn't born back then!) which were not functioning when the ride was decommissioned. I hope I can get some good views of the track being dismantled from Space Spiral before it too is demolished!

BTW, I have a friend who I go to CP with sometimes. Like me, he is sort of a coaster enthusiast, and has even told me some facts I don't know (that Bizarro at SFGadv has two seats instead of 4 in the back row). He says Avalanche Run was enclosed because sand was blowing onto the track. Is this true? I doubt this, considering there is no sand blowing that I see now. Even if it was built on a sandy area, pictures show that the low parts of the track were on concrete.

I can't 100% confirm that claim, but I will say it wouldn't surprise me if that is a factor. I worked at Wicked Twister a bit in 2004 and the wind would be so hard at times, we'd get little "sand storms." I know how hard the wind can blow off the lake at times, so the lower tracks closer to the ground would probably most definitely get sand blown into them.

^^

Not sad to see Disaster Transport go. I always thought the ride was ok, but it was very cheesey with almost all of the effects not working. Also while I'm talking about effects not working, did they ever fix the tunnel lights and geysers on Maverick, I always thought they added something to the ride no matter how small it was, it is also depressing to see all the effects not working.

^^

Not sad to see Disaster Transport go. I always thought the ride was ok, but it was very cheesey with almost all of the effects not working. Also while I'm talking about effects not working, did they ever fix the tunnel lights and geysers on Maverick, I always thought they added something to the ride no matter how small it was, it is also depressing to see all the effects not working.

Last time I was there they were working.

Hi everyone, New to the discussion but long time lurker of these forums, figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on some of these hints we've been given.

0 7 91 97 21 2

I, along with a fellow co-worker were looking this over today at work (productive workday eh?). At first it didn't look like anything. I noticed a few of you were arranging numbers, but what if all you did was move the 0 and flip it?

2012 79 197

Any thoughts on this, or maybe it sparks something in someone elses mind? I know 2012 isn't the year its opening, but construction/announcement could be part of this not-so-random number clue (considering the numbers repeat, I don't think the original clue is a false lead, the numbers aren't random enough. 4 sets of duplicate numbers and one 0)

There was a POV posted on some news channel's Web site, and the only effects I recall seeing were the lights as you go up the lifthill. Then again, I've never ridden Disaster Transport, so there may be some stuff that the camera didn't catch.