TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point is most likely adding 2 or maybe even 3 rollercoasters over the next 2 years. I have to imagine that they want to update with the coaster world by adding newer creations. With there coaster count now down to 15 after DT is out they will be behind SFMM in the count by 2. Now we know for sure both are adding at least one next year so it woud be SFMM 18 and CP at 16. Now seeing that i wouldnt think CP wants that. I could very well see them building the planned WingRider along with a Mac Spin and some other type of coaster. Im not going to go on about saying what type i think they will be building in the next couple of years because only the Park and manufacturer know that but i can expect big things for CP next year or even in a couple of years. Since 07' they havent added anything "big". Im sure they collected a ton of $$$$ over that time and are not afraid to spend it

Being a disney guy I don't think Matt Q. is out there to sate his ego in the manner Kinzel was so I'm not so sure we'll see the "most coasters in a single park" war start up again as that's a neverending battle that ultimately cannot be won be either side...sure they'd see short term investment from such additions over the course of two seasons on average per ride but then you're right back where you started & have to invest even more cash just to break even.

Coasters aren't as cheap to build as they were just a decade ago what with this ride having a $25 million price tag associated with it so it'll take a slightly longer time to recoup that investment compared to the investment on a $12 to $15 million such as Raptor or Mantis did.

^ Get over it folks, it's not going to be called "Flight Deck"!

Odds are that Cedar Point is going to call it something ending in "hawk"!

New for 2013: Flight Deck-hawk!

Or "Fire-Flight-Night-Space-Hawk-Deck" for the Wing Rider's name!

Today's Sandusky Register says Snake River Falls closed due to unspecified injuries of a boy. This was mentioned in a blog post from the Register but besides that, I've only heard this in the newspaper. Apparently, the ride is cleared to operate but CP is keeping it down for maintenance.

^^This. I'm surprised CP isn't giving Space Spiral the AtmosFear treatment. Sure, they have Power Tower, but they previously also had Demon Drop, and Liseberg already had a Space Shot and a Turbo Drop (not as part of the same structure like Power Tower, no less) prior to converting their observation tower.

Of course, Space Spiral isn't an Intamin ride, but it could probably still be done.

^^This. I'm surprised CP isn't giving Space Spiral the AtmosFear treatment. Sure, they have Power Tower, but they previously also had Demon Drop, and Liseberg already had a Space Shot and a Turbo Drop (not as part of the same structure like Power Tower, no less) prior to converting their observation tower.

Of course, Space Spiral isn't an Intamin ride, but it could probably still be done.

But Atmosfear is almost twice the height of the S&S Towers, Cedar Point already have a 300 foot tower, so it's not needed with one more.

Back again with transformation of the characters on their Facebook post, taken from another Facebook users comment.

‎(!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ corresponds to the numbers below those symbols on your keyboard: 915122135912116. Invert those numbers to get 611219531221519. Each number is a letter of the alphabet 6=F 1=A 12=L 19=S 5=E 3=C 12=L 21=U 5=E 19=S. Change it and you get FALSE CLUES. Put that into the original phrase and you get: "Watch out for inversions and FALSE CLUES."

For a moment, I will pretend CP is getting something better than a BM wing-rider.

Right with you! Wouldn't that be the king of all viral marketing strategies.

Can you imagine if they surprised us with an intamin hyper-woodie?

Not sure why so many people are complaining about Cedar Point possibly getting a Wingrider. I've been on the Swarm at Thorpe Park and it's definitely a good ride, and not the forceless piece of crap people say it is.

I have to say, if a park here in Australia was getting a wing rider I'd be squealing with excitement for weeks.

^I believe I addressed this somewhere else but...

People in Australia would die of excitement and happiness if they got the world's WORST B&M!

Everyone expects a lot from Cedar Point, especially when they haven't put in a coaster in the last 5-6 years. From the reviews of ALL of the Wing Riders enthusiasts know that even the biggest tallest most inversion Wing Rider isn't going to shoot to the top of anyone's list. It will however do great for the park.

Flight Drop Tower Bansheehawk may be the the big thing of the hour, but there have been some other small new things that have popped up recently as well. Most notably, that all of Mean Streak's infield queues have been torn out.

106520850_084(1280x960).thumb.jpg.81e522affdefa706b7ff386d8bb303ce.jpg

Every enthusiast loves photos of dirt!

1488920613_085(1280x960).thumb.jpg.2de68090e0d92433e1c88cb23f2d32ac.jpg

I highly doubt this is anything more than the removal of rarely-used queues, but still.

1330588336_439(1280x960).thumb.jpg.bdf85a3d0a05b2be4ac3fdba29120115.jpg

I've never seen this green engine before this year, but she's been on the line for a few weeks now. Anyone know where she's from?

That's all I wanted to throw out there. Onward with the wingrider discussion!

Edited by BigDipper 80

Back again with transformation of the characters on their Facebook post, taken from another Facebook users comment.

‎(!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ corresponds to the numbers below those symbols on your keyboard: 915122135912116. Invert those numbers to get 611219531221519. Each number is a letter of the alphabet 6=F 1=A 12=L 19=S 5=E 3=C 12=L 21=U 5=E 19=S. Change it and you get FALSE CLUES. Put that into the original phrase and you get: "Watch out for inversions and FALSE CLUES."

For a moment, I will pretend CP is getting something better than a BM wing-rider.

Well they said they weren't giving it away easy.....so maybe the newspaper report was just a big hoax??

That green engine is the unnamed train that we got from Disney. We just call it the Davenport, it came to us from Knott's a few years ago and the superintendent had converted it from fuel fired to coal fired and then got it ready to be ran on our tracks. We were doing boiler washes on the other two trains and didn't feel like running George, so we fired up the Davenport and ran it while doing boiler washes on Judy and 22.

So it's just our 4th and rarely used engine.

A little late in the game posting this, but I'm actually kind of hoping Disaster Transport finds a new home at another Cedar Fair park. The ride is still in great operating condition from what I hear from op friends, it's just in sitting on such prime real estate for the park to really make an awesome statement at the front gate. I'm hoping they can move it to one of the smaller parks and it will see many more years of operation.

I'll also take the time to throw my name out there for the Final Dispatch event. I've missed out on a lot of the previous ride closings (last one was White Water Landing), but Disaster Transport holds a close place in my heart as being the coaster that broke my fear way back in 2001. If anyone would like to donate to a great cause, I'd more than appreciate any donations you could send my way. https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jonroost/finaldispatch1

A little late in the game posting this, but I'm actually kind of hoping Disaster Transport finds a new home at another Cedar Fair park.

Michigan's Adventure please. Don't enclose it either, make it an outdoor bobsled as it originally was.

I was so disappointed when we didn't get Demon Drop. Would have been a perfect fit.

I know Disaster Transport is on it's way out....that's already confirmed, but as I posted a few days ago in the Rumor/Crazy Ideas thread, some guy ahead of me (in line for X-Flight at SFGAM), but close enough to hear for just a bit, was telling a couple behind him that, Space Spiral isn't getting removed, just having the queue relocated somehow. Do we actually have confirmation that the Sprial is going to be removed, or just the existing pathway? If it's the former, than I guess his alleged 'name' for the new Wingrider is suspect, but if it's the latter, maybe he was credible. He sounded sincere, but most of the rumors which I have reported on have not been credible, but hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'll believe 'em when I see 'em.

Although Disaster Transport is a unique ride, I can't say I'm excessively disappointed that it's leaving. I didn't find it to be a very fun riding experience when I rode it, and its building is an eyesore to that part of the park. If it manages to find a new home elsewhere (hopefully without the building), that'd be great, but otherwise, I think it's about time for that area of the park to be updated.

I like observation tower rides, and it's too bad that one of the more unique of the Intamin towers is going. However, all of the aforementioned problems with it certainly make it a less-than-desirable ride to keep. Perhaps a newer tower could replace it in the near future?