TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wait a second - I thought that the whole reason Cedar Fair went with Mondial and their Windseekers instead of Funtime Starflyers was because the Windseekers could handle the high winds.

From Screamscape on a problem with Windseeker.

On Saturday morning the riders on Windseeker at The Point got a little more of a ride than they were expecting shortly after 9am when the ride came to a stop while only about half-way down the tower. The riders were then stuck on the ride for about 2 hours until they could lower it back to the ground.

Screamscape is fortune enough to have both a reader report in with photos of the event from the ground, as well as get a report from another reader who was one of the unlucky guests stuck on the ride that morning. That said, here is a rider report from Derrick along with some great photos showing off the damage done to Windseeker.

“I was one of the unfortunate guests to be stuck on the Windseeker. We were stuck for over 2hrs. After the ride did its normal spin at the top, a big gust of wind came through and pulled the wires that are attached to the tower away. So when the ride started to descend. the cable got stuck inbetween the spin part and began to be torn apart. Much of the covering was torn off and we watched much plastic pieces falling off. We were stuck for 2hrs at about 200ft in the air.”

http://screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

Yikes, that would be enough to make be crap myself mid-ride.

I always get a bit nervouswhen the ride is either going up or coming down....makes you wonder if they're gonna become over cautious with operations in varying winds on the remaining windseekers? IIRC the max safe windspeed that the ride can run in is 35 mph.

That's about the worst description I've ever seen of a ride incident, but sounds scary.

Right? I feel like the part describing the wind blowing the cables away was a little amateur. It would be really unfortunate to be stuck for two hours, though. Makes me wonder exactly what went wrong.

That's about the worst description I've ever seen of a ride incident, but sounds scary.

Right? I feel like the part describing the wind blowing the cables away was a little amateur. It would be really unfortunate to be stuck for two hours, though. Makes me wonder exactly what went wrong.

Same here as the cable in question runs inside of a guide track that's pretty much protected from the elements....I guess we'll find out more when an investigation is conducted.It really is making me think twice about getting on it at KD on my next visit though.

Two things:

1) If I'm staying at a Cedar Point resort, but I've also bought Fast Lane tickets online, when I go in for early entry will I get the wristband right then, and will I be able to use it during the early entry period?

2) Obviously no one truly knows, but does anyone think Wind-seeker might be back a week from now?

^ Don't stay at the Hotel Breakers. Worst hotel EVER. Wasn't worth the 1 hour early entry.

That's your opinion. I've stayed there numerous times and have never had a bad experience at the Breakers. They are no 5 star resort, but they get the job done, and are only there for you to sleep and relax in anyway.

Two things:

1) If I'm staying at a Cedar Point resort, but I've also bought Fast Lane tickets online, when I go in for early entry will I get the wristband right then, and will I be able to use it during the early entry period?

Enter through the park entrance next to Magnum and there is a booth right there at the gate where you can pick up your Fast Pass. People were picking them up for early entry the day we were there. You will not be able to use it until the park is officially open though.

Hotel Breakers may be dated, but it is totally worth it for the convenience of being on-site. Just make sure that if the early entry is a selling point for you, you can commit yourself to actually using it. I had it available for three days and only used it once.

Got our reservations booked at Camper Village for this weekend!

Will have to head home Sunday so not sure how much CFK we'll be able to check out (and unofficial park Gay Day), but we may pop in for a few hours before heading home.

Supposed to be close to 85 on Saturday so we'll probably end up spending most of the day at the swim-up bar and in the Lazy River at Soak City. Might not spring for Fast Lane this trip being that we won't be spending a lot of time in the park. Will try to hit up most of the major coasters Friday night and maybe for early entry Sunday. Otherwise, we'll probably skip the park for most of Saturday because it's sure to be crowded.

I think hotel breakers is fine. They have that hibachi grill downstairs, TGIFridays and that breakfast place, convenience store and the rooms are not bad at all. Plus, you're at Cedar Point, how much time will you really be spending in your room anyway?

Two things...

1. That Windseeker accident sounds scary. Are they all closed right now? Or just the one at CP?

2. Please, Hotel Breakers the worst hotel ever? No. You're exaggerating and being dumb. It's not up to the quality for what you pay, but you're paying for location location location! I can't imagine going to CP and not staying there just for the convenience factor!

Two things...

1. That Windseeker accident sounds scary. Are they all closed right now? Or just the one at CP?

2. Please, Hotel Breakers the worst hotel ever? No. You're exaggerating and being dumb. It's not up to the quality for what you pay, but you're paying for location location location! I can't imagine going to CP and not staying there just for the convenience factor!

KD's windseeker was running all day on saturday.

I can't imagine going to CP and not staying there just for the convenience factor!

Exactly. Not having to deal with causeway traffic either in the morning or at night would be worth it by itself, even without early entry. I've never stayed there myself, honestly probably never will since I know enough people and have family within an hour that I can stay with, but the convenience factor of Breakers is off the charts.