TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Add this to the list of rides SFGAm adds only for CP to add similar attractions 1-2 years later.

1976/1977 : Orbit/ Witches Wheel

1976/1979 : Whirligigs/ Wave Swinger

1984/1986 : Roaring Rapids/ Thunder Canyon

1989/1990 : Rolling Thunder/ Retheming Of Avalanche Run

1992/1994 : Batman/ Raptor

1997/1998 : Giant Drop/ Power Tower

1998/1999 : Camp Cartoon Network/ Camp Snoopy

1999/2000 : Raging Bull/ Millennium Force

2001/2002 : V2/ Wicked Twister

2004/2005 : Revolution/ maXair

2007/2008 : Wiggle's World/ Planet Snoopy

2012/2013 : X Flight/ Cedar Point Wing-Walker

Can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation why the Sandusky Register wouldn't publish the actual memo or engineering schematic drawings? That is the part that makes it seem like a marketing strategy by CP.

Edited by etrain

^you know, I was just saying to a friend I wondered the same thing, that maybe this was done on purpose. It's just a weird way for it to come out. Something is a little off about this "leak". Perhaps a way to get public opinion before finalizing all the details of the project? If they have several plans in mind, this could help guide them to a certain choice. Just a theory. I really have no idea. haha

^you know, I was just saying to a friend I wondered the same thing, that maybe this was done on purpose. It's just a weird way for it to come out. Something is a little off about this "leak". Perhaps a way to get public opinion before finalizing all the details of the project? If they have several plans in mind, this could help guide them to a certain choice. Just a theory. I really have no idea. haha

I agree, it is a little weird the way that the information got leaked, however at this point in time though I would say that if it is a coaster they are building a major new coaster for 2013 the bulk of their plans are probably finalized. Some minor changes to theme, style, or the surrounding area might be made but if it's any type of new coaster I'd bet it's already signed, sealed, partially paid for and in some stage of production somewhere.

While I doubt they are using public opinion about the "leaked" plans to finalize the project, they may be intentionally "leaking" plans for a wing coaster but in reality be building a wooden coaster (or a zac spin, or a flyer, or a euro fighter, or a spinning aquatrax, or whatever) instead. I've had a few conversations with park Representatives in the past and I specifically remember one conversation about leaked plans and according to the Director of Engineering of a major theme park in the south, plans for new attractions don't EVER get leaked unless they want them to get leaked for some reason. So either Cedar Point is trying create a little buzz about their new ride, or they're trying to throw us nerds off the scent, either way until there is an official announcement we'll never know!

Looking a little closer in the future now, we still have Luminosity... which is currently in it rehearsal stage. They did a preview for employees in the past few days and I have seen some positive feedback from ones I am friends with on Facebook. A few say this is something they have never seen at Cedar Point before and it puts the park at a whole new level of entertainment, something that Disney or Universal would have developed even. There has been a few video leaks on to youtube of performances and general lighting and sound of the stage area.

I am looking forward to checking out the show in a few weeks, its really got me intrigued enough to want to visit the park just to watch the show. What are everyone elses thoughts of Luminosity now that we have seen more of it in person?

Luminosity In The Raw (Employee Preview)

Luminosity Pointcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct76m6CUcxY

Luminosity Cast Afterhours Dancing

469738_10150840119906463_617417320_o.thumb.jpg.20b95040f4843454c1b60953f1ba7017.jpg

DJ for Luminosity

Luminosity looks great. It'd be cool if they got power tower/Millennium's lights to sync with a show like DCA with WOC.

On the Wingrider note, I would love if this just ended up being mother of all viral advertising campaigns for a coaster, and the point was getting a completely different coaster. Not getting my hopes up though

What are everyone elses thoughts of Luminosity now that we have seen more of it in person?

Agreed that it is something that is on par with larger parks. I never thought I would see something like this at Cedar Point, even when the original idea was pitched (to which I replied "Um, really?"). After its first preview night I am certainly impressed with most of the show. The lighting work is definitely awesome and well programed along with most of the pyro cues. Some of the individual pyro products used in the show however I did not like and to me I felt like a lot of them were just randomly chosen and placed in show without thought. So some of that I would change but thats just me. As for costuming, I am 'meh' on that. It looks like a case of "This looks awesome" on paper but once the final product is made, it looks more like a Spirit Halloween costume. Holding off on how it sounds since we are still hearing it through a cellphone camera or maybe a DSLR, neither of which captures good enough audio to make judgement on. The song selection is about the exact same as what I would have picked, even though I don't enjoy a few of the songs they are at least current and what the target audience is going to listen to.

While not having anything to do with the actual show, the way a lot of the production was implemented bothers me. Mainly in the way they are taking care of, or lack of, the lighting instruments. The lack of safety around some of the truss doesn't sit well with me either but again, that is just me.

On the Wingrider note, I would love if this just ended up being mother of all viral advertising campaigns for a coaster, and the point was getting a completely different coaster. Not getting my hopes up though

I agree. Also, if DT does end up being removed, I wouldn't doubt at all that CP might have a second coaster for 2013. Something more family-oriented. CP has changed a lot over the recent years, but I still doubt that they're going to give up the coaster crown easily.

Honestly, at this point I'd still like to see Disaster Transport and Space Spiral saved if possible.

So is the Luminosity plaza licensed for alcohol sales?
The whole park is licensed for alcohol sales and consumption. They also built a refreshment stand in front of Good Time Theater that had beer keg dispensers as well as snacks.

I agree. Also, if DT does end up being removed, I wouldn't doubt at all that CP might have a second coaster for 2013. Something more family-oriented. CP has changed a lot over the recent years, but I still doubt that they're going to give up the coaster crown easily.

Honestly, at this point I'd still like to see Disaster Transport and Space Spiral saved if possible.

Coaster crown...

Coaster crown...

They've lost that quite sometime ago. I don't see them getting it back.

Just saw Luminosity tonight. It was..... Ok. The lighting effects, pyrotechnics, and sound were all fantastic. The live actors however were kind of the let down of the show. It was really hit and miss to have a song where the people singing could actually sing the song well. All the dancing and choreography was fine though. I almost think that the show would be better if all the actors did was dance and they just played the actual recording of the songs. Up in the scaffolding they had two guys playing drums and they were really good. Immediately following the show the whole plaza turns into a giant night club with a DJ and that was pretty cool. They keep all the lighting effects on for that. This is definately something very different for CP and it will definately be liked by younger generations.

Just a random thought...what if Cedar Point built a coaster in similar style of the Skyrush trains, or even perhaps an Intamin version of a wing-rider? Just to throw everyone through a loop there. Intamin is more than capable of making a ride like that, and given Cedar Point's slant towards Intamin over the past decade...

^ Intamin already has.

Furius Baco - Port Aventura

The point had a deal/contract with Intamin where they'd build a certain number of their coasters, and if I read correctly the last coaster included in the deal was maverick. The point could stick with Intamin (and if they ever build a woodie, I pray they do) but I think they're most likely going to try something different for a change.

I'm a little bummed that DT will be removed - it was a fun and unique ride. But, I certainly enjoyed Wild Eagle, so I know the wing rider at CP will be a hit.

Keeping with the subject, is this helping with a 2013 New Hotness trip?

Just a random thought...what if Cedar Point built a coaster in similar style of the Skyrush trains, or even perhaps an Intamin version of a wing-rider? Just to throw everyone through a loop there. Intamin is more than capable of making a ride like that, and given Cedar Point's slant towards Intamin over the past decade...

If you combine both Intamin's unreliability and technical issues with almost all of Cedar Points newest Intamin models and Cedar Fair's current spending spree on brand new B&M rides; I think the answer is clear Intamin will not be asked to build Cedar Point's next thrill ride. Lets face it, B&M's are reliable and much lower cost to maintain, its a better business plan overall to go that direction.

^Even with Cedar Fair's last spending spree on reliable Morgans, that didn't automatically mean that we saw a Morgan coaster at Cedar Point. Even with all the so called trouble, they still got Shoot the Rapids. The best business plan is that which attracts people to the park while keeping costs within budget. The Point could simply budget more operating costs for the manufacturer of choice if it works.

^Even with Cedar Fair's last spending spree on reliable Morgans, that didn't automatically mean that we saw a Morgan coaster at Cedar Point. Even with all the so called trouble, they still got Shoot the Rapids. The best business plan is that which attracts people to the park while keeping costs within budget. The Point could simply budget more operating costs for the manufacturer of choice if it works.

Yea, well I have seen the business side of things with CP and Intamin and I'm not to sure that Cedar Point would want to put themselves back into a position with building a new ride with them, at least not the near future (next 5 years).

From Screamscape on a problem with Windseeker.

On Saturday morning the riders on Windseeker at The Point got a little more of a ride than they were expecting shortly after 9am when the ride came to a stop while only about half-way down the tower. The riders were then stuck on the ride for about 2 hours until they could lower it back to the ground.

Screamscape is fortune enough to have both a reader report in with photos of the event from the ground, as well as get a report from another reader who was one of the unlucky guests stuck on the ride that morning. That said, here is a rider report from Derrick along with some great photos showing off the damage done to Windseeker.

“I was one of the unfortunate guests to be stuck on the Windseeker. We were stuck for over 2hrs. After the ride did its normal spin at the top, a big gust of wind came through and pulled the wires that are attached to the tower away. So when the ride started to descend. the cable got stuck inbetween the spin part and began to be torn apart. Much of the covering was torn off and we watched much plastic pieces falling off. We were stuck for 2hrs at about 200ft in the air.”

http://screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

Yikes, that would be enough to make be crap myself mid-ride.

Edited by OISU8P