TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

A sneak peak at Luminosity has surfaced on Youtube. Looks like they are currently in their tech rehearsals, so the performance a bit rough.... but that stage lighting is awesome. Turned out MUCH better than I anticipated. The poster commented that the show lasted well past 40 minutes, but his battery died.

I have seen that video and to me it's pretty impressive. I agree that a 4D could be cool if it was smooth and flowing. I'm looking forward to riding Wild Eagle in July and don't hate the WR's I just want Cedar Point to build a woodie on the beach. The current Wingriders are pretty boring looking to me. Wild Eagle looks like a better ride than the others but mostly because of location. I think without building a working and enjoyable 4D, these are pretty limited. Would a hyper be cool...probably but I don't know if the trains could take it.

Cedar Point is a very fine park but not having a great wooden coaster experience is a huge hole. It seemed like now was the time to take care of that glaring weakness in their line up. The woodies are here to stay for certain.

With the renewed developments for the CGA woodie taking shape & Quimmett's drive for family rides I truely wonder if a new woodie for CP is around the corner in the coming years?If designed well a good woodie will certainly draw both families & thrillseekers alike for years to come & would be worth the investment at less than the cost of a gimmicky ride like a wingrider.

Looks like they are currently in their tech rehearsals, so the performance a bit rough....

How could you tell by that God awful video? The only thing it is good for is watching the lighting, with the video muted.

With the renewed developments for the CGA woodie taking shape & Quimmett's drive for family rides I truely wonder if a new woodie for CP is around the corner in the coming years?If designed well a good woodie will certainly draw both families & thrillseekers alike for years to come & would be worth the investment at less than the cost of a gimmicky ride like a wingrider.

Wingriders are no more gimmicky than, let's say, inverts, but nobody's complaining about those (and you're dying for one at KD, as we all know). Hanging riders off the sides is no worse than hanging them underneath the track, but inverts boomed and nobody calls that a gimmick - wingriders could end up just the same.

Also, it's Ouimet.

^ The latter..Cedar Fair has a capital expenditure fund every year and the projects/rides are doled out to whatever parks in the chain come out of that fund.

Isn't that pretty much the same way six flags does it? would explain why the same parks tend to get rides more frequently than others in the SF chain.

Wingriders are no more gimmicky than, let's say, inverts, but nobody's complaining about those (and you're dying for one at KD, as we all know). Hanging riders off the sides is no worse than hanging them underneath the track, but inverts boomed and nobody calls that a gimmick - wingriders could end up just the same.

Also, it's Ouimet.

Well looks like Cedar Point's new coaster (if there's going to be one in 2013?) would be a lame family coaster like a spinning coaster, or a wild mouse coaster!

Sounds like Cedar Point has a great coaster coming for next year. 170ft tall, tallest, fastest, and steepest wing rider coaster built to date. believe the article also mentioned that it would be the longest wing rider coaster. I am really excited for new life to be brought back to that area, I am sure that entire area is going to look 1000x different come this time next year.

The only thing I'll miss about Space Spiral is the look of it from the Causeway...I remember being little and having it be one of the first things I'd see from far away...I'm not sad it'll be gone, but it is a little dismaying that That view won't be there anymore

It does seem odd that they'll lose yet another roller coaster and take out a ride with no height restriction.

Looks like the Wing Rider is the next Invert...going to see them popping up everywhere now!

Sounds like Cedar Point has a great coaster coming for next year. 170ft tall, tallest, fastest, and steepest wing rider coaster built to date. believe the article also mentioned that it would be the longest wing rider coaster.

Where are you reading that? Nowhere did it mention stats for the ride, and it did not say the ride *would* be a record breaker. It suggested and implied it *could* be, but the article reads more like a expanded rumor, and nothing factual. Are you reading the same article I am? http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/belaboring-point/cedar-point/blog-cedar-points-wing-coaster-answers-enthusiasts-prayer

Kinda weird that they just installed a new elevator on disaster this spring, and now the ride is being removed. I wonder if disaster transport will be relocated as an outdoor coaster at another park, or just be scrapped?

Sounds like Cedar Point has a great coaster coming for next year. 170ft tall, tallest, fastest, and steepest wing rider coaster built to date. believe the article also mentioned that it would be the longest wing rider coaster.

Where are you reading that? Nowhere did it mention stats for the ride, and it did not say the ride *would* be a record breaker. It suggested and implied it *could* be, but the article reads more like a expanded rumor, and nothing factual. Are you reading the same article I am? http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/belaboring-point/cedar-point/blog-cedar-points-wing-coaster-answers-enthusiasts-prayer

There is a real article in the physical paper (that isn't a blog).

The new ride will feature a 170-foot tall lift hill and span an area from the main gate...

Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet to the company's board of directors, says the coaster will have “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride" and make a “Front Gate Statement — a roller coaster that flies overhead, rolls and flies back— highly visible above guests entering the park.”

Here is the article with the quotes from a Matt's email:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/news/cedar-fair/memo-cedar-point-build-coaster-2013

If I have learned one thing about Matt thus far it is that tradition and the legacy of his former boss Richard are not going to stop him from putting his mark on this company. He seems to make quick, educated decisions with a new set of eyes for the company that seem positive and shows progress rather than a stagnant attitude of living in the past. Obviously he may not have been involved with this project since day one as it usually is a 2 or 3 year process but he seems to grasp general concepts to run a company correctly. I like how employee moral seems to be improved greatly since his takeover as well as the changes he has made thus far seem to be all positive.

Edited by Joe21498

Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet to the company's board of directors, says the coaster will have “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride" and make a “Front Gate Statement — a roller coaster that flies overhead, rolls and flies back— highly visible above guests entering the park.”

"Front Gate Statement"? Hell, they could save themselves $25 million and just raise Fast Lane prices another nickel. That's a big enough "front gate statement" to get so-called "enthusiasts'" panties in a wad.

I read this on another site a few days ago-

Disaster Transport seems very zombie-esque this year. I've never seen the ride down so much, and I'm hearing that it has received the bare minimum maintenance to run (and barely run apparently).

Bye-bye Disaster Transport was how I interpreted that, but like it's been mentioned- with Wildcat, that's weird. Oh well. Addition by subtraction IMO. The tower is a bigger loss.

Seeing Cedar Point without the Space Spiral will be weird, but no weirder than pulling up to the front gate after Demon Drop was removed. I don't remember the last time I saw Space Spiral even operating.

As for Disaster Transport, good riddance. It was a nice break from the hot summer sun (well, when the air conditioning was working) and it will be a shame to lose a ride the young ones can ride, but opening up that view to the lake is going to be awesome if this all turns out to be true.

Hopefully in the coming years a coaster that young kids can ride and some other forms of family rides will open elsewhere to make up the loss for the families visiting Cedar Point.