TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Family Launch coaster perhaps? Im thinking of A Skyrocket Type coaster (minus the inversions) mixed with Manta and maybe some decent theming. Right over the water filled with dips and quick directional changes, at a moderate 35mph speed. It could really be hit for CP.

Imagine a view from Camp snoopy, looking at something similar, but over water.

I've been reading over the past few pages about the price increases to Fast Lane products- and I have to say this: I'm a bit concerned as to where this is going myself.

I've been in the travel industry for the majority of my life- in one form or another- and seen what happens when things like this begin. Let's look at the Airline industry, to make a comparison of "Then Vs. Now"

In 1999, when you bought your 'one price' ticket, you got: An assigned seat, two checked pieces of luggage, and you could change your ticket for the difference in the airfare. On some airlines, you got a snack or meal, complimentary. You could check in curbside for free.

Now: You want an assigned seat, it's a fee. You want to board early: It's a fee. Don't want to stand in a long security line? It's a fee. Food? Pay for it. Change your ticket? Pay a huge fee- and the difference in fare. Luggage? Hand over 75.00 for those two pieces of luggage. On some carriers: Want to carry it on board? Hand over 100.00, please.

Now let's compare this to theme parks (Not just Cedar Point) in general: Let's skip long lines: Pay a big fee, no lines.

Soon: Want to enter the park early? Fee. Want to get a particular seat? You need to buy the 'purple' wristband first- fee. Look! That new attraction they just added? Oh wait: You don't have the striped wristband- it's not part of your 'base' ticket you just bought- for a hefty price. Lines? Oh, yeah- you don't have the Fast Lane ticket, so you're standing in the four hour wait line.

You are now thinking, well he's gone nuts: No, actually, I've not: Look at what the airline industry did over the past decade. What was once free for everyone is now a fee for everyone- with very few exceptions. Theme parks are trying this with Fast Lane type systems- and I can assure you, if they see profits in them, they will look at adding similar systems that would add that to current park pricing.

And now you're saying this would never happen (I can hear it now). That's -exactly- what people said about the airline industry 12 years ago. And now, most of those fees aren't even optional. Picture in another decade of these fees/price increases what it will cost to buy a ticket/get a season pass for a theme park: Your 'standard' season pass might cost 160.00- but to get the different add-ons for the park, you're looking at another 200 plus- easily.

Raising prices is one thing to help keep the number of Fast Lane prices in check- but we too need to keep the parks in check, as if we don't you're going to be paying quite a bit more for that park trip you wanted to take in the future.

Well that is dissappointing to here. I was convinced they would build a legitimate wooden coaster, hopefully they still will. It does seem unlikely they would just spill the beans like that, smokescreen perhaps. They could do a 4d I suppose at least it would be different. A dive coaster would be a lot better if they had to go with steel. I think Dive and Inverts are here to stay and Wingriders will go the way of Standups. There has been a rumor of a Dive Machine coming for a while and it is a winged coaster.

I completely disagree. Wingriders have tons of potential and will only get better. They are the hot ride for this decade. They will be more like inverts. Every park will want one. Here's a video to watch.

Depends on what they can do with the layout & elements as to it's staying power....one thing that disappointed me with the DM's for instance is the lack of loops probably due to the width of the train) kinda like how standups & flyersare/werelimited in their inversion offerings due to the train design/rider position.

Family Launch coaster perhaps? Im thinking of A Skyrocket Type coaster (minus the inversions) mixed with Manta and maybe some decent theming. Right over the water filled with dips and quick directional changes, at a moderate 35mph speed. It could really be hit for CP.

As this is a good idea, we can guarantee that's not what we're getting next year. The park's focus for the past five years has really been on family rides and moderate thrills, I doubt if we are getting a new coaster, it won't be just 'moderately' thrilling. (Or advertised as that.) Plus, cedar point has maverick which is essentially the same, but just a little bit bigger and better, and has much better capacity. (Though I do think that skyrocket is a great ride.)

^From the park's standpoint:

If you keep the price the same and limit the number of tickets, you would now have to deal with angry park guests who can't buy one because tickets have sold out. So, you raise the price, to in effect accomplish the same goal of lowering Fast Lane users without having to turn customers away. This is how Universal has done their Express Passes for years now. Raise the price with demand. It's basic Economy 101.

I don't have a problem with what they're doing at all, but I don't think they're worried about turning customers away. If a company charges X amount and gets maximum demand, why not charge Y amount if you can get the same demand? It is Economy 101 as you said, I'm just not so sure about them thinking about turning anyone away.

I've been reading over the past few pages about the price increases to Fast Lane products- and I have to say this: I'm a bit concerned as to where this is going myself.

I've been in the travel industry for the majority of my life- in one form or another- and seen what happens when things like this begin. Let's look at the Airline industry, to make a comparison of "Then Vs. Now"

In 1999, when you bought your 'one price' ticket, you got: An assigned seat, two checked pieces of luggage, and you could change your ticket for the difference in the airfare. On some airlines, you got a snack or meal, complimentary. You could check in curbside for free.

Now: You want an assigned seat, it's a fee. You want to board early: It's a fee. Don't want to stand in a long security line? It's a fee. Food? Pay for it. Change your ticket? Pay a huge fee- and the difference in fare. Luggage? Hand over 75.00 for those two pieces of luggage. On some carriers: Want to carry it on board? Hand over 100.00, please.

Now let's compare this to theme parks (Not just Cedar Point) in general: Let's skip long lines: Pay a big fee, no lines.

Soon: Want to enter the park early? Fee. Want to get a particular seat? You need to buy the 'purple' wristband first- fee. Look! That new attraction they just added? Oh wait: You don't have the striped wristband- it's not part of your 'base' ticket you just bought- for a hefty price. Lines? Oh, yeah- you don't have the Fast Lane ticket, so you're standing in the four hour wait line.

You are now thinking, well he's gone nuts: No, actually, I've not: Look at what the airline industry did over the past decade. What was once free for everyone is now a fee for everyone- with very few exceptions. Theme parks are trying this with Fast Lane type systems- and I can assure you, if they see profits in them, they will look at adding similar systems that would add that to current park pricing.

And now you're saying this would never happen (I can hear it now). That's -exactly- what people said about the airline industry 12 years ago. And now, most of those fees aren't even optional. Picture in another decade of these fees/price increases what it will cost to buy a ticket/get a season pass for a theme park: Your 'standard' season pass might cost 160.00- but to get the different add-ons for the park, you're looking at another 200 plus- easily.

Raising prices is one thing to help keep the number of Fast Lane prices in check- but we too need to keep the parks in check, as if we don't you're going to be paying quite a bit more for that park trip you wanted to take in the future.

I think the problem with your reasoning is that airline travel is, in a lot of cases, a necessity for many people. They pretty much already have a lock on your sale if you need to travel a large distance, so there's very little stopping them from nickel and dimming you, especially when all their competitors do so too.

For theme parks, this is hardly the case. Sure, us coaster enthusiasts take going to a theme park as a given when planning a trip / vacation, but for a lot of people, theme parks are just another entertainment venue. Get pissed off over insane prices? Just go to any number of other tourist attractions in the area. Theme park operators have to work, especially in this economy, to keep people going out to their parks.

I think the problem with your reasoning is that airline travel is, in a lot of cases, a necessity for many people. They pretty much already have a lock on your sale if you need to travel a large distance, so there's very little stopping them from nickel and dimming you, especially when all their competitors do so too.

For theme parks, this is hardly the case. Sure, us coaster enthusiasts take going to a theme park as a given when planning a trip / vacation, but for a lot of people, theme parks are just another entertainment venue. Get pissed off over insane prices? Just go to any number of other tourist attractions in the area. Theme park operators have to work, especially in this economy, to keep people going out to their parks.

Think of it this way, though:

Little Tommy Spoiledrotten has just seen an ad for Cedar Point's latest 500 foot tall, 250 MPH coaster. Little Tommy Spoiledrotten is going to go to Mommy and Daddy and start whining, crying, throwing temper tantrums to go to Cedar Point and ride said coaster. Mommy and Daddy, with monstrous Migrane Headaches pop four Valium, and head to Cedar Point- and then pay:

20.00 for parking (We're already there)

75.00 for admission (Ditto.)

25.00 for Fast Pass (The lines are too long! says Mommy)

10.00 for All Seating privileges (Those front and back seats have too long a line as they are, so we'll cut the line by charging for it)

15.00 to ride the "B" list attractions (The park realizes that they need to control the number of guests on MilF and Maverick)

15.00 for the "A" list attractions (The park realizes they can make more money if they charge more for TTD and Wicked Twister)

10.00 for the "NEW" attraction. (The park realizes this new monster can make extra money- as it is new!)

So there you go: 170.00 for Little Tommy Spoiledrotten to get his new coaster credit. Mommy and Daddy are out the same amount as little Tommy Spoiledrotten, too. Cedar Fair succeeds in adding nearly 75.00 to the ticket by adding 'A La Carte' fees.

It's closer than you think.

Think of it this way, though:

Little Tommy Spoiledrotten has just seen an ad for Cedar Point's latest 500 foot tall, 250 MPH coaster. Little Tommy Spoiledrotten is going to go to Mommy and Daddy and start whining, crying, throwing temper tantrums to go to Cedar Point and ride said coaster. Mommy and Daddy, with monstrous Migrane Headaches pop four Valium, and head to Cedar Point- and then pay:

20.00 for parking (We're already there)

75.00 for admission (Ditto.)

25.00 for Fast Pass (The lines are too long! says Mommy)

10.00 for All Seating privileges (Those front and back seats have too long a line as they are, so we'll cut the line by charging for it)

15.00 to ride the "B" list attractions (The park realizes that they need to control the number of guests on MilF and Maverick)

15.00 for the "A" list attractions (The park realizes they can make more money if they charge more for TTD and Wicked Twister)

10.00 for the "NEW" attraction. (The park realizes this new monster can make extra money- as it is new!)

So there you go: 170.00 for Little Tommy Spoiledrotten to get his new coaster credit. Mommy and Daddy are out the same amount as little Tommy Spoiledrotten, too. Cedar Fair succeeds in adding nearly 75.00 to the ticket by adding 'A La Carte' fees.

It's closer than you think.

I normally do not post on here incredibly often, and I honestly respect your opinions, but I feel as if you have it out for Cedar Point and Cedar Fair as a chain. I remember you smiting them for removing Wildcat and just thought it was a little out of proportion, and same with increasing Fast Lane by five dollars. All of these up charge attractions are optional. No one has to go pay for them in order for them to go to the park besides the parking option. Dealing with parking, platinum passes are always available, that personally has saved me so much money visiting the park. To the families who visit once, yes parking is twelve dollars, and that makes me frustrated as well, but its better then seeing Six Flags parks charging 20 bucks to park your car. Regarding "Little Tommy Spoiledrotten" convincing his parents, at least in the Sandusky/Cleveland/Toledo/Detroit area, the area is very financially challenged, where my family of four can go to Cedar Point as a whole every other year. So Cedar Point knows that they can only get away with so much before "Little Tommy Spoliedrotten" is just told no because its not affordable anymore. Parks will take as much as they can get until people just stop going. Regarding the park this year, I've been thrilled with it, the operations have been fantastic, Mean Streak is actually running incredibly well, handicapped elevators or ramps are available on nearly every ride, much more attention to detail, better food, Soak City got a nice addition and revamp, new lights everywhere, the Luminosity plaza looks fantastic, I can honestly say I am incredibly excited for the Ouimet dynasty.

I don't agree with the price increase for fast lane either. They should have at least waited until next season if they decided that they wern't charging enough for them, especially if all we're talking about is a measly $5 extra. But you are seriously blowing this way out of proportion.

P.S. RobbAlvey won't be happy when he sees all the new posts about fast lane. but the price increases indeed have peeps talking about them again.

Well that is dissappointing to here. I was convinced they would build a legitimate wooden coaster, hopefully they still will. It does seem unlikely they would just spill the beans like that, smokescreen perhaps. They could do a 4d I suppose at least it would be different. A dive coaster would be a lot better if they had to go with steel. I think Dive and Inverts are here to stay and Wingriders will go the way of Standups. There has been a rumor of a Dive Machine coming for a while and it is a winged coaster.

I completely disagree. Wingriders have tons of potential and will only get better. They are the hot ride for this decade. They will be more like inverts. Every park will want one. Here's a video to watch.

Depends on what they can do with the layout & elements as to it's staying power....one thing that disappointed me with the DM's for instance is the lack of loops probably due to the width of the train) kinda like how standups & flyersare/werelimited in their inversion offerings due to the train design/rider position.

I have seen that video and to me it's pretty impressive. I agree that a 4D could be cool if it was smooth and flowing. I'm looking forward to riding Wild Eagle in July and don't hate the WR's I just want Cedar Point to build a woodie on the beach. The current Wingriders are pretty boring looking to me. Wild Eagle looks like a better ride than the others but mostly because of location. I think without building a working and enjoyable 4D, these are pretty limited. Would a hyper be cool...probably but I don't know if the trains could take it.

Cedar Point is a very fine park but not having a great wooden coaster experience is a huge hole. It seemed like now was the time to take care of that glaring weakness in their line up. The woodies are here to stay for certain.

Fast lane is going to continue to rise because right now it's a little too cheap. At that price it was gonna be a little too popular. Iv'e gladly dropped the 80 bucks at Gadv. two times. Don't tell Cedar Point that though.

I normally do not post on here incredibly often, and I honestly respect your opinions, but I feel as if you have it out for Cedar Point and Cedar Fair as a chain. I remember you smiting them for removing Wildcat and just thought it was a little out of proportion, and same with increasing Fast Lane by five dollars. All of these up charge attractions are optional. No one has to go pay for them in order for them to go to the park besides the parking option. Dealing with parking, platinum passes are always available, that personally has saved me so much money visiting the park. To the families who visit once, yes parking is twelve dollars, and that makes me frustrated as well, but its better then seeing Six Flags parks charging 20 bucks to park your car. Regarding "Little Tommy Spoiledrotten" convincing his parents, at least in the Sandusky/Cleveland/Toledo/Detroit area, the area is very financially challenged, where my family of four can go to Cedar Point as a whole every other year. So Cedar Point knows that they can only get away with so much before "Little Tommy Spoliedrotten" is just told no because its not affordable anymore. Parks will take as much as they can get until people just stop going. Regarding the park this year, I've been thrilled with it, the operations have been fantastic, Mean Streak is actually running incredibly well, handicapped elevators or ramps are available on nearly every ride, much more attention to detail, better food, Soak City got a nice addition and revamp, new lights everywhere, the Luminosity plaza looks fantastic, I can honestly say I am incredibly excited for the Ouimet dynasty.

Actually, in all fairness: This isn't about just the 5.00 price increases, and it isn't about Cedar Point directly; it is about all park operators out there- whether it be Cedar Fair, Six Flags or whomever.

There will always be a demand for parks- even when they do go to an A La Carte pricing program- but I think the Fast Lanes (Like the "Fast Access" the airlines currently charge to get through security/boarding faster) are the tip of the iceberg. The fees will be coming- not just to Cedar Point, but I think to quite a few parks throughout the country over time. 5.00 mid season? That's not the issue to me; it is a bit weird they'd try to do so mid-season, but that's their choice. It is the ability to keep doing things like raising prices that are concerning. They are already taking steps to do said fees, etc. to 'enhance' the guest experience, and at some point we will see more of these 'A La Carte' pricing systems going into the industry.

I will admit, I'm not a big fan of Cedar Point- and that goes long before WildCat was untimely removed. I've not been a fan of the park in many years. My prediction, which is based on what I've seen in other segments of the travel and tourism industry, is valid- and probably closer that it appears. Ouimet, while a decent manager is also one who looks at the bottom line: Profit$. If he sees that adding new pricing schemes will raise money, he will do it. That is his job, and I'd hope he does it well.

Seriously, you guys are reading way too far into this price increase. It is clear as day they are doing it to help address the capacity issues brought about by introducing the Fast Lane system this year. The value we got from our visit opening weekend made the passes a steal and they are still worth every penny at $55. The discussion of the hatred of Fast Pass systems and evil park corporations has been discussed ad nauseum on this site and it really needs to stop.

5.00 mid season? That's not the issue to me; it is a bit weird they'd try to do so mid-season, but that's their choice.

The season started 2 weeks ago... I'm pretty sure that's not "mid-season". They increased it just in time for the summer season (Memorial Day weekend - Labor Day weekend). 99% of the people who go to Cedar Point this season won't know that the price for Fast Lane was 5 bucks cheaper the first 2 weeks of the season.

And to be fair, the price for Fast Lane should be 5+ dollars more at CP than the rest of the parks in the chain since it has some of the world's best coasters and you have the ability to skip the longest lines in the chain.

I have seen that video and to me it's pretty impressive. I agree that a 4D could be cool if it was smooth and flowing. I'm looking forward to riding Wild Eagle in July and don't hate the WR's I just want Cedar Point to build a woodie on the beach. The current Wingriders are pretty boring looking to me. Wild Eagle looks like a better ride than the others but mostly because of location. I think without building a working and enjoyable 4D, these are pretty limited. Would a hyper be cool...probably but I don't know if the trains could take it.

Cedar Point is a very fine park but not having a great wooden coaster experience is a huge hole. It seemed like now was the time to take care of that glaring weakness in their line up. The woodies are here to stay for certain.

Fast lane is going to continue to rise because right now it's a little too cheap. At that price it was gonna be a little too popular. Iv'e gladly dropped the 80 bucks at Gadv. two times. Don't tell Cedar Point that though.

I do agree with you that CP's next coaster should be a woodie alongside the beach. They should do this next. Then burn Mean Streak and come back a few years later with a world record 4D.

After riding Xflight this last weekend, they are better than you think. I have never felt hangtime before like I did on it. There is also a noticeable different feeling depending on seat location. Pulls pretty good forces in the back. Would be a great coaster if it was 50' taller and 600' longer. Someone will build that.

Some times this thread is so dumb it makes me laugh.

And I would also love to see a wooden coaster along the shoreline. I still cannot believe that no park in the US has built another Intamin wood coaster. You'd think the popularity of El Toro would encourage someone. And you'd think CP would have the cash to build it. I know they're not cheap, but you would think for customer satisfaction and possible bragging rights to having "the best wooden coaster in the US" would get them to tackle this project.

dt

How does ride funding work within Cedar Fair? Does each park have a separate 'account', or is there just a big pile of money (or a swimming pool full of gold coins) and CF just doles out projects to the different parks? I'm sure whatever goes on at Cedar Point is affected by other parks in the chain (unlike SFMM )

Some times this thread is so dumb it makes me laugh.

And I would also love to see a wooden coaster along the shoreline. I still cannot believe that no park in the US has built another Intamin wood coaster. You'd think the popularity of El Toro would encourage someone. And you'd think CP would have the cash to build it. I know they're not cheap, but you would think for customer satisfaction and possible bragging rights to having "the best wooden coaster in the US" would get them to tackle this project.

dt

I've tried to find out this answer through research unsuccessfully. Does anyone know the cost of El Toro my favorite woodie???