TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^^Yes. A gyro-drop would be a wonderful addition to the Point!

But with them having Power Tower, do you think they would add ANOTHER extreme drop ride?

There are actually quite a few parks that have done just that. Liseberg, if I remember right, already had two separate S&S towers when they decided to convert their observation deck into AtmosFEAR. Hell, Cedar Fair just added Demon Drop to Dorney a few years ago, and they already had an S&S tower.

If you already have a drop ride, why would you invest the money in a new one when the one you have is in perfect working condition and you just installed a brand new lighting package on it?

These parks are out to make a profit, not waste money needlessly. If anyone thinks they're going to install a brand new drop tower then they're insane.

If CP were to get a wingrider, I cannot imagine them going with something along the lines of X-Flight or the Swarm. Though maverick didn't break any records, I still would not refer to it as just "a good average ride" , and really would not jump to the conclusion that CP is going to stop producing innovative coaster concepts. I'll still be excited for any coaster, though

Well just to cite the most recent comment... The green wing rider track has popped up in China, so that green track definitely isn't headed to the Point. So for now (unless more track shows up at the steel plant), a wing rider is just as likely as anything else.

...and I've heard that ther've been footers poured inside DT. That's why peeps said it's been close....

Where did you hear this?

This was posted by someone over at Pointbuzz. He did mention that it should be taken with a grain of salt, because obviously the building is dark. But he thought he saw something....

If you already have a drop ride, why would you invest the money in a new one when the one you have is in perfect working condition and you just installed a brand new lighting package on it?

These parks are out to make a profit, not waste money needlessly. If anyone thinks they're going to install a brand new drop tower then they're insane.

Did you skip over the posts about Liseberg with their gyro drop conversion, already having two S&S single towers, and Cedar Fair's own addition of Demon Drop to Dorney, already having an S&S combo tower?

Cedar Point could easily market a new, 300-foot tower that carries some 50 people up the tower as the carriage spins, giving everyone a view of the park and lake, only to drop when you least expect it. Power Tower is very tame for being a 300-foot drop tower, so I'd certainly welcome the Intamin alternative.

Figure I should mention that I don't necessarily believe this will happen, just that I think it would be a good and relatively inexpensive idea.

Try explaining that to La Ronde....or CWL for that matter.

The key is variety:The S&S towers provide a different expereince compared to the Intamin ones so it may prove to be worth the investment.Besides look at Dorney,they now have two shuttle coasters right across the midway from each other & people don't seem to complain but they sure do ride.

Where did this talk of Cedar Point converting Space Tower into a drop tower come from? I thought someone just mentioned it as their pipe dream?

Pretty sure we should be concentrating on the 2013 coaster unless I am missing something.

Try explaining that to La Ronde....or CWL for that matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not really an expert on either park but according to the Park Index don't they both have 1 drop ride? I'm not sure what you mean. And isn't Orbite only run in Space Shot mode so is that even really a drop tower?

And I didn't skip over the posts about Liseberg, but comparing North American parks to international parks is like comparing apples with oranges. Cedar Point just made a nice investment (meaning the new light package and to a lesser extent re-routing the queue) in a huge drop tower and it doesn't seem to have overly high ridership compared to their other rides. It's not like the public is clamoring for another drop ride at Cedar Point (as evidenced by the fact that Demon Drop was moved to another park). I think most people would be confused by it and it wouldn't have a very high ROI. The park knows more about the projected ROI than I do, but that's just my opinion from an enthusiasts perspective.

Where did this talk of Cedar Point converting Space Tower into a drop tower come from? I thought someone just mentioned it as their pipe dream?

Pretty sure we should be concentrating on the 2013 coaster unless I am missing something.

Yes, this is all based off of someone's pipe dream, but since all we'd be able to do in regards to the new (rumored) coaster is speculate, I guess why not speculate about drop rides too...

^^It was brought up as a pipe dream. This is a forum though so it seemed like a topic able to be discussed? Considering that we don't know anything about the 2013 coaster other than the general vicinity of where it's going, why not talk about something else for now.

^I mean, they did just add a taller version of the swings that they already had. Nobody said that the public was clamoring for a Windseeker. And you can't really compare the Demon Drop/Power Tower combo to a Power Tower/Gyro Drop combo - Of course Demon Drop wasn't popular, it was overshadowed by Power Tower down the midway! Another huge 300-foot tower would easily draw more crowds than a 25-year-old, 80-foot one, and I would imagine that a decent ROI wouldn't be too difficult considering that the tower is already built and the price for the conversion is probably relatively inexpensive.

This is definitely a discussion forum. Just seemed strange how everyone was discussing someone's pipe dream more than the actual project that has been confirmed by the park.

I've gotten lost in the past discussion, what has been confirmed by the park?

^There was an ACE event there over the weekend, and during Q&A, they said to expect a coaster of the winged variety in the place of DT next year.

I talked to several people who sat through Matt's speech (I left right before to meet up with someone) and no one heard him use the word "coaster" or "winged" in his speech just that there will be something we will want to return for next year.

Edited by kidcoaster 2

Okay, I was sitting two tables away from the podium, after John Hildebrandt, Cedar Point General Manger spoke, Matt Ouimet got up and said a few words. At the end of his little speech, he asked, "How many of you are visiting Cedar Point for the first time?" Hands went up and he then said, "Well trust me you all will want to be back at Cedar Point this time next year." There were a lot of cheers, Matt looked over at John and said, "Can I tell them?" John shook his head indicating no. Matt said, "He won't let me leak anything more than it is a ...," He was putting the mic down and I heard him say, "coaster of the winged variety." Maybe I misheard what he was saying or misinterpreted what he meant and if so, I apologize. But why would he tell a group of Coaster Enthusiasts they would want to be back at Cedar Point next year, if they weren't getting a new coaster.

Later that evening someone else from the ACE conference was in line behind me for MF and was talking to another ACEr about the type of winged coaster CP would get in 2013. They were both speculating back and forth about how CP would build a record breaking winged coaster and the different elements it might have. So obviously, I was not the only person attending the dinner that heard this.

Again my apologies for starting any unwarranted speculation.

Regards,

RIP...

^No, that explanation is actually exactly what this thread needed, so thank you for clarifying. I'm still skeptical about them actually doing anything out of the ordinary with a wing rider if it's a B&M, because I think those designs are limited in what they can do (much like dive machines). CP has never really been interested in building coasters that are limited in design (hence why they keep going with Intamin). Maybe with Ouimet in charge now they're going to go with "safer" coaster installations, but since we don't know who the manufacturer is, that's a discussion for another day. I still say I hope it's Intamin. If they can take what Intamin started with Skyrush and expand upon it...........

Honestly, I think it's more what B&M is willing to do with their rides than what their rides are capable of. Back when dive machines started getting bigger and having inversions, there was this absoluteness with which everyone seemed to decide that they couldn't do a barrel roll because of the forces placed on outside-seat riders. The wing riders do them now, so there goes that theory. I understand that the extra forces on the trains are something to be concerned about, but look at what the 4D coasters do to their riders, particularly the forces in the raven turns. Those winged trains can take them just fine and aren't falling apart left and right. I'm sure B&M could give the Point something great, forceful, and winged, but they'd have to be willing to do that.

^While that may be the case, we've seen Six Flags throw up tons of things that are safe to assume weren't planned out very far in advance when the new CEO took over last year. Hell, they removed Wildcat on a whim after it had been testing. I already know they scratched what was supposed to be a MAJOR coaster in the back of the park, so it's entirely possible that this coaster hasn't been in the planning phase for that long.

The rumor of a seaside woodie taking the spot of Disaster Transport has been a rumor at Cedar Point for how long now?

Well this one isn't a rumor, although I have no idea if it's going to be wood or steel.

Wait, I thought the new coaster was going to replace the antique cars? Of course it still is a rumor at this point.