TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ It's called Insane Coaster Wars it debuts in July.

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/family/articles/insane-coaster-wars

Thanks!

A lot of videos in that link have Burt the Conqueror. I wonder if he will be hosting Insane Coaster Wars and whatever happened to his Bert the Conqueror show? Was it cancelled? I never got to see the CA episodes. July is a horrible time to premiere a new show by the way, I guess Travel Channel doesn't have much faith in this show. Hopefully they will repeat it a lot in the fall.

^ It's called Insane Coaster Wars it debuts in July.

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/family/articles/insane-coaster-wars

Thanks!

A lot of videos in that link have Burt the Conqueror. I wonder if he will be hosting Insane Coaster Wars and whatever happened to his Bert the Conqueror show? Was it cancelled? I never got to see the CA episodes. July is a horrible time to premiere a new show by the way, I guess Travel Channel doesn't have much faith in this show. Hopefully they will repeat it a lot in the fall.

Bert the Conqueror was moved during its last season in favor of the US version of Scream! If You Know the Answer, which was also hosted by Bert Kreisher. It was not picked up for a third season.

Really had a great weekend at the park. The only ride I honestly hated was Mantis. Just didn't do anything for me and was very uncomfortable to ride! TGI Fridays definitely deserves all the hype it gets. I already miss it!

RIDE WARRIORS!!!!!!

Very nice trip report RobbAlvey. I just posted mine as well. http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62501

Love pretty much all the pics you got, especially the shot of the MF painted/unpainted track side by side.

Good stuff!

P.S., I have yet to visit the TGI Fridays on the beach, in fact I didn't even know it existed until the other day when I was looking at food options on CPs website. I'll try to swing by there next time. Just hope the prices are somewhat reasonable.

Robb, thanks for the GL pics. If I was to try to get similar photos like that I'd have the Bainbridge Township cops on my a$$. It is depressing to see.

Enjoyed the CP photos and glad it was a good time for you despite all the filming. If Mean Streak is tolerable now it won't be by August.

Fast Lane review - Tuesday May 15

Unless I missed something (I am only an infrequent lurker and frequent viewer of the videos), I did not see anyone summarize their Fast Lane experience. I just visited on May 15 (Tuesday) with a Fast Lane pass so I might be one of the first around here to try out Fast Lane in the middle of the week.

Reference Point

For those familiar with Cedar Point, there was a decent crowd of high school students as the opening week is now traditionally "Physics Week". Nevertheless, Blue Streak and Wicked Twister were walk-ons for everyone. Mantis had a line approximately 10 minutes long and Mantis did not have a Fast Lane. I hope this serves as a barometer of the day's crowd size and puts my Fast Lane experience in context.

Fast Lane experience

Fast Lane provided direct access to the loading platform for all rides that I attended (including some that were walk-on and thus provided no advantage): Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mean Streak, Skyhawk, Maxair, Wind Seeker, Power Tower, Magnum. Raptor provided a merge point half-way up the stairs to the loading platform that was moderated by an attendant. In all cases, an attendant checked our wrist bands. There was no Fast Lane path for Mantis or Wicked Twister on this day.

Only once did we actually end up "waiting" behind other Fast Lane holders (on Top Thrill Dragster, where there was 5 people ahead of us). Fast Lane essentially turned every ride onto a walk-on ride.

Due to the nature of the ride exit path and where the Fast Lane is located, Millennium Force and Maverick have very convenient paths to walk right back on without ever leaving the platform building. Using Millennium Force as an example, we were able to disembark and get back in time to buckle into the coaster that had been behind us (not the same coaster that we disembarked from).

Although such an advantage obviously offered the chance to re-ride (I rode Millennium Force 4 times in a row), I think the real advantage is that my friends and I were able to relax enough to take an hour off to chat and drink beer in the middle of the afternoon without worrying about having enough time to get all of our credits in. Also, none of us got sun burned - the reduced sun exposure was a big energy booster.

I hope this helps those who are on the fence. If nothing else, I can not see how this significantly effects the main line simply because I saw so few Fast Lane users. Obviously, this may not be the case in the future or after this post.

I think the real advantage is that my friends and I were able to relax enough to take an hour off to chat and drink beer in the middle of the afternoon without worrying about having enough time to get all of our credits in. Also, none of us got sun burned - the reduced sun exposure was a big energy booster.

Bingo! My wife and I were able to enjoy Kings Island absolutely stress free. And while we did still get some sun to our skin, I know we spent WAY less time in the sun than had we not had the FastLane.

Only once did we actually end up "waiting" behind other Fast Lane holders (on Top Thrill Dragster, where there was 5 people ahead of us). Fast Lane essentially turned every ride onto a walk-on ride.

The only coasters we waited behind any other Fast Lane riders was Dragster and Millennium Force. We did have one wait on MF that was about 15-20 minutes, but the entire queue was full, and it was much better to wait 20 minutes than over 2 hours! That being said, I think I got at least 4 rides on MF using the Fast Lane pass (not counting the rides I did on MF for the film shoot), and only one of the rides had any sort of wait.

All the other times we used Fast Lane, we pretty much just walked directly into the station.

--Robb

Great report! I'm glad to see that Cedar Point has put so much effort into making the park better since my last visit in 2008. The new Fast Lane system sounds like it works very well; I remember waiting in Dragster and Millennium Force's lines for at least an hour and a half apiece when I visited. I'm also impressed by the many touchups the park made over the offseason; Millie's new paint, the ferris wheel's new lights, and Mean Streaks retracking all help to keep CP a great place for us theme park fans! (of course they're still a great vacation destination for other things too, as the hotels and beaches prove)

Due to the nature of the ride exit path and where the Fast Lane is located, Millennium Force and Maverick have very convenient paths to walk right back on without ever leaving the platform building. Using Millennium Force as an example, we were able to disembark and get back in time to buckle into the coaster that had been behind us (not the same coaster that we disembarked from).

That's the problem. From what I heard from people who didn't use the fast lane system is that it is nightmare. It apparently doubles the wait for everyone else in the normal line because of how many people use it and because you can abuse it like this. So it screws over everyone who doesn't have it. Honestly is your not going to do fast passes like Disney, you shouldn't do them at all. Its supposed to be helpful to the guest not a money making scam. Am I the only one who thinks that this is bullshit?

Hear come the flames......

Edited by Commando

^It's not a scam at all, but it is money making. We live in a free market, people will pay more and less money for differing experiences. It also sounds like your friends are exaggerating quite a bit that it 'doubled' everyone's wait on every ride.

Something that's getting forgotten is that CP started repainting MF last offseason and that it's going to be a three-year project. The return hill from the island was one of the places that was already painted last season. So it should be finished by this time next year.

Other than the newly painted section being right next to the faded parts looking kinda funky, it's great that they are taking this project on!

Edited by robbalvey

That's the problem. From what I heard from people who didn't use the fast lane system is that it is nightmare. It apparently doubles the wait for everyone else in the normal line because of how many people use it and because you can abuse it like this. So it screws over everyone who doesn't have it. Honestly is your not going to do fast passes like Disney, you shouldn't do them at all. Its supposed to be helpful to the guest not a money making scam. Am I the only one who thinks that this is bull$#!%?

Hear come the flames......

The only bullshit is your entire post and you know it. You know it because you said "here comes the flames" knowing full well you were posting something for the sole purpose of starting an argument. Well, there isn't any argument here, because you're completely wrong, about everything you stated.

I honestly don't understand how any roller coaster enthusiast can bitch and moan so much about front of the line systems put into place that allow them to get MORE rides on roller coasters! The argument seems to defy all logical sense. We blew past 2+ hour queues for Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster and probably could have gotten 10 rides on each in the same amount of time as I could have stood in line once. It's like an ERT session on 20 rides where you control the schedule. This should be considered the most amazing, greatest single invention ever to be brought into the coaster enthusiasts world since the invention of the roller coaster itself! Why would any coaster geek choose to wait two hours in line when you could be riding that entire time???

I just don't get it. Some of us spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars each year on travel, park tickets, enthusiast clubs, season passes, etc, and the one thing that will allow you to get MORE of the thing you like the most, I see so much complaining about.

It makes ZERO sense to me.

On our TPR tours, we get people ERT *AND* front of the line passes for all the parks that offer them, and all we ever hear is how amazing it is having "ERT all day long" at the parks we visit. How the hell is this something anyone would complain about?

--Robb "I chalk it up to there just being a lot of really, really, really stupid people in the world." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Sorry, I should have said "really, really, really stupid and INCREDIBLY CHEAP people in the world."

During of our many TGI Friday's visit, I got my bill and it was $35. I remember saying "Wow, I spent just as much on food and alcohol at Friday's as I did on my Fast Lane pass! I think I got the better deal with the Fast Lane pass!"

Seriously people, think...please just use your brain for half a second and THINK about the stupid crap you spend $35 - $50 on, and realize the insane value in a front of the line pass.

It's totally a no-brainer.

Edited by robbalvey