TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Besides, stationary LED strips 310ft high would be too much to maintain over a long period, ground level panels are easier to access and fix if they are in need of repair.

Old Town Kissimmee has LED strips 300 feet up it's SkyCoaster and they haven't seemed to have any issues with it.

With that said, I agree that I prefer the way they lit the structure from the ground.

Imo from what I'm seeing this new lighting package doesn't look as bright and vivid as the lights on the Wheel and basicly looks exactly the same as when Millie first opened again IMO.

This is because on Giant Wheel you are basically looking at the LED itself and not the glow from the LED like on Millennium Force. Huge difference in this situation since anytime you look at a bulb vs. the glow of the bulb, you are going to get two different looks. But wait until you see the lifthill in person, it looks nothing like it did opening year in terms of vivid color.

Besides, stationary LED strips 310ft high would be too much to maintain over a long period, ground level panels are easier to access and fix if they are in need of repair

The point of using LEDs are for the lack of maintenance they require. Besides, Windseeker has hard to reach LED fixtures 300 feet in the air.

Besides, stationary LED strips 310ft high would be too much to maintain over a long period, ground level panels are easier to access and fix if they are in need of repair

The point of using LEDs are for the lack of maintenance they require. Besides, Windseeker has hard to reach LED fixtures 300 feet in the air.

I understand the minimal maintenance required with LED's, but after a few years of exposure to Lake winds and harsh winters connections will start to go bad, so instead of one light going out you will see long strips go out. Millennium Force does not have a maintenance lift like Windseeker does (aka the gondola) so they would require the installation of a temporary movable scaffolding system, similar to what they are using to paint the towers with currently (or like a window washing platform on high-rise buildings) because most mobile lifts won't reach higher than 150-feet.

OK. Sounds good regarding the MF lights, and I can't wait to see them in person.

The only reason I was confused was, CP GM John Hildebrandt did an interview with In the Loop podcast, and he specifically stated that "MF and Giant Wheel are both getting new light packages...... LED lights similar to windseeker".

But given the things I am hearing about these new MF lights, I'm sure these will be awesome nonetheless.

Personally, I love the fact that MF retained the flood lights. While the LED patterns on Windseeker / Giant Wheel are cool, I think the flood lights are beautifully simple. And if MF's new flood lights are LED, that's even better! Hopefully they will last longer.

Also, did MF's lights ever really look like this: http://www.joyrides.com/cedar_point/millennium_force4.htm? I would love to see the lights look like that again. But of course, who knows if that picture was really edited.

I understand the minimal maintenance required with LED's, but after a few years of exposure to Lake winds and harsh winters connections will start to go bad

But if they are hard-wired and the connections are made within the housing units, they can last a very long time, even in Sandusky winters. So if the only maintenance on the units are needed every 10+ years, bringing in a crane for a week to do so would not be a problem. Again, that is if the entire structure was covered with LEDs (which I think would look stupid). But if they were to put a chase along the lift, that would be a lot easier and not be as ugly looking. Doesn't matter though, that is not what they are doing thankfully.

The only reason I was confused was, CP GM John Hildebrandt did an interview with In the Loop podcast, and he specifically stated that "MF and Giant Wheel are both getting new light packages...... LED lights similar to windseeker".

Well technically MF and Giant Wheel did get LEDs similar to Windseeker. Giant Wheel got the LED bars that the gondola on Windseeker has and Millennium Force received LED washes like those that light up the tower on Windseeker.

^

If they were to line the entirety of the supports with LEDs like on Giant Wheel, that would look pretty absurd. And that would be a LOT of lights. I think it looks fantastic the way it now is.

Tracer lights around the track would look freakin awesome though!!!!

Also, did MF's lights ever really look like this: http://www.joyrides.com/cedar_point/millennium_force4.htm? I would love to see the lights look like that again. But of course, who knows if that picture was really edited.

Yes. This was MF's lift hill circa 2000. Unfortunately it didn't last.

Unfortunately, it only lasted for a few years. I'm sure that picture was over-exposed for the night shot, making it seem much brighter. I'm thinking the new lights look just as good if not better, it's just hard to tell from the lower quality youtube video. I'm ecstatic to see the lights back.

^Did you take a look at the still photos on the last page? They were shot with an iPhone but you can already see how much brighter and more clean these new LEDs are compared to the old lights. Just the fact that they actually throw the light all the way to the top of the lift is awesome.

^Did you take a look at the still photos on the last page? They were shot with an iPhone but you can already see how much brighter and more clean these new LEDs are compared to the old lights. Just the fact that they actually throw the light all the way to the top of the lift is awesome.

I should clarify... I meant the original picture from 2000 that was linked earlier was probably an extended exposure picture. I agree with you, the lights of old seemed to fade out as it approached the top, but the picture on joyrides shows in much more vibrant than I remembered it. The new LED lights do a much better job of lighting all the way to the top.

I knew what you meant, my post was referring to you mentioning that it's hard to tell by the Youtube video of how good the lights are. The pictures I posted are a little more clear and up close so you can get a better idea of the new lights.

^

If they were to line the entirety of the supports with LEDs like on Giant Wheel, that would look pretty absurd. And that would be a LOT of lights. I think it looks fantastic the way it now is.

^ Agreed! I miss tracer lights on coasters...

^

^ Agreed! I miss tracer lights on coasters...

1 nighttime trip to Hersheypark will really make you miss them. They really go all out on their woodies with the tracer lights. It is simply amazing to see.

I just got off the phone with Cedar Point's office about fast pass details. Here's what the website doesn't state about the passes:

- You get unlimited rides on the specified rides, not 20 rides and your pass is useless

- You'll take a separate entrance to the station platform where you'll wait with other fast passers

- Once at the station, fast passers get first choice on seats, any row they want. First come first serve on rows

- There will be no wait on the rides other than with whoever else bought fast passes

Hope this helps with anyone who had other questions about the passes!

I just got off the phone with Cedar Point's office about fast pass details. Here's what the website doesn't state about the passes:

- You get unlimited rides on the specified rides, not 20 rides and your pass is useless

- You'll take a separate entrance to the station platform where you'll wait with other fast passers

- Once at the station, fast passers get first choice on seats, any row they want. First come first serve on rows

- There will be no wait on the rides other than with whoever else bought fast passes

Hope this helps with anyone who had other questions about the passes!

Thanks for the info! I knew about the unlimited rides thing, but wasn't sure how they would handle seat assignments. Really makes this a fantastic deal for the price!

Looking forward to trying this out on opening weekend.

Edited by ernierocker

Very happy to see the lighting return to Millennium Force like it was the first few years it opened. It really is the most stunning light show on any roller coaster. Now I can just imagine what Power Tower will look like when it gets its new lighting. CP will definitely have one of the more amazing night time skylines ever.

^With it being mentioned that they get "choice of seats, first come first serve" I would imagine it is exit access, since there is no choice using the freeway lanes.
I was told by my manager that, the new CEO did not want 'Fast Lane' to be an exit pass. But I guess things do change.

To be fair with non-Fast Lane users, I really wish the park would merge the Fast Lane users in the station like they are doing at Kings Dominion. Luckily I will definitely be getting a Fast Lane wristband when I go to the park, but it would really tick me off if I was a local and they allowed Fast Lane users to walk right up and pick my row that I was next for...