TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Anyone who will argue that a "Park is out of room, blah, blah, blah..." knows absolutely nothing about theme parks and shouldn't be posting on this forum. In short, if you're going to make this kind of argument on TPR, please go away, we don't want you here!

One only has to look at a park like Grona Lund, Blackpool, or even Knott's Berry Farm to prove that if a park wants to build a certain kind of ride bad enough, they'll MAKE room for it!

It would be awesome to see a wooden intamin hyper at CP. Then, it will be the 5th intamin coaster in the park! But i don't think they have space to do this, only if the demolish Mean Streak.

Actually, it would be the seventh!

Jr. Gemini

Disaster Transport

MF

WT

TTD

Maverick

I wonder how much money Cedar Point makes off of their campground, not the rental cabins but the camping sites themselves. I'm sure those sites are VERY popular in the summer and I bet they are fairly pricey compared to a "normal" campground (or camp sites not on park property) but regardless of how much money they currently make off of those sites I would think that they could make a lot more money off of that land if it were utilized differently (new resort hotel, expand the water park/amusement park, etc.).

Then again there is probably a reason that they have kept the campsites all of these years. Would be interesting to see how much money the camp sites make compared to the other hotels on the island.

I wonder how much money Cedar Point makes off of their campground, not the rental cabins but the camping sites themselves. I'm sure those sites are VERY popular in the summer and I bet they are fairly pricey compared to a "normal" campground (or camp sites not on park property) but regardless of how much money they currently make off of those sites I would think that they could make a lot more money off of that land if it were utilized differently (new resort hotel, expand the water park/amusement park, etc.).

Then again there is probably a reason that they have kept the campsites all of these years. Would be interesting to see how much money the camp sites make compared to the other hotels on the island.

They certainly could make more money repurposing the land, but this is just an example of the balance that amusement parks need to consider versus going solely for profits.

It's funny you should mention that, as it's very probable that a massive coaster installation was cancelled because of possible lost profits from taking out part of the campsite and Soak City lot.

Yeah, I did a little research and camp sites in the Cedar Point Camper Village are anywhere from $70-$100 a night depending on the day of the week and time of year etc. With rates like that the profits must justify the existence especially considering everyone staying there likely has a ticket package as well, pretty steep for a camp site but it is awfully convenient.

I guess they can just build a coaster around and over the camp sites if they really need to (or in Dragster's infield ).

^Back in the day, the campground butted right up against Magnum's lift hill...the place was HUGE & highly wooded. Even though they turned most of it into the Soak City parking lot, they made up for it by adding the cabins and the extension over by Mean Streak at the tip of the peninsula.

Personally, I would be devastated if they removed Camper Village because it is like a family tradition that we go at least once a year and stay two or three nights. Last few years it's been during Halloweekends and a couple of times during the summer. We split the cost three ways and pay about $30 apiece per night for water and electric...can't beat that!

If you go on weekends, you should definitely make reservations early or you might not get a site. I would imagine that it's pretty easy to get a site before Memorial Day, but after that it get's pretty busy. I can't see CP ever taking that out based on the money they make and also because it promotes a family friendly environment at the resort.

I love RV'ing/camping there because you can go back and have a cook-out and drinks versus eating at the park. It's a heck of a walk after trundling through the park all day (monorail? ), but we love it anyway!

Good god that's bright. It looks amazing. That side of the park is going to be blinding at night with this and Windseeker. Isn't MF getting a new lighting package this year as well? The park's night lighting is certainly taking a giant step forward this year. I'm excited to see it in person.

^Of course. Its just somewhere I've always wanted to go to since seeing Magnum XL-200 in a Guinness Book of World Records Book when I was kid. Bad rep or not, I've still always wanted to go there just never made the time till now.

Wow...that is definitely more amazing than I ever imagined. Can you imagine that area with the Giant Wheel, Windseeker & Max Air lighting and then add more LED lighting to Troika and perhaps even the Space Spiral?

Tear down Disaster Transport add a boardwalk with a couple more old school flats and an Intamin pre-fab along the lakefront and you got yourself one of the best themed areas at any CF park!

Looks like I will finally be breaking my Cedar Point cherry on opening weekend. TGI Fridays here I come!

Seriously though, glad I will finally be crossing CP off my bucket list.

The Road to TGI Fridays Tour was one of my favorite TPR Trips ever! And remember if you ask for a 'pint' of beer, get the large pint!

I hope you have better things on your bucket list than CP.

Way to put down someones opinion You only make yourself look like an a$$. I personally love Cedar Point. After spending most of my life in Southern California, I have learned to love CP and the friendly(unlike SMM) atmosphere provided. Not to mention the amazing coaster collection. It sits in a beautiful setting on Lake Erie and is located in an area where there is so much more to do outside its confines. There is nothing wrong with an enthusiast having CP on their bucket list. Just like there is nothing wrong with "anyone" having "any park" on their list. It personal preference and I think he will love his time at CP. Hopefully he will bless us with a trip report to give us "his" opinion.

Nice picture by the way. You look like a person that would make the sort of post that you did.

^Please don't be rude, Moose is one of our moderators and knows the poster who said CP is on their bucket list.

Remember on the internet you can't always see 'jokes' or 'smiles', it wasn't meant in a malicious manner.

^Honestly, the only thing out of line here was your comment about Jon's avatar. Like Elissa said, I know him personally and know his comment was meant in jest.

And I am sure I will do a trip report to share my experience. I might even post a couple of pictures outside of TGI Fridays!

And remember if you ask for a 'pint' of beer, get the large pint!

I am sure there is a story there that I am not aware of, but trust me, I am never shy about ordering a large anything when it comes to beer!