TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Further more, the Dock Holders were not entirely happy when MF was built because of the noise it created and it isn't really that close to the boats. Building any kind of coaster within feet (literally) of those expensive boats is not going to make the people paying $1,300+ a month for a slip very happy.

What do they honestly expect when they dock their boat at an amusement park with 17 roller coasters?

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

My two main choices for a new coaster are an Intamin Woodie and a Dive Machine.

I would love either of those. The only way I would be in favor of a Dive Machine would be some kind of extended layout. I did't know the trains had so much drag so that would be a challenge. An Intamin woodie at Cedar Point seems like a no brainer, yet it never happens.

What do they honestly expect when they dock their boat at an amusement park with 17 roller coasters?

Well a lot of the older boaters have been docking there going back to when that number was probably 6 and none of the coasters could be seen from the Marina. It is not a new set of boaters every summer, some have been there since the Marina was built.

Because that is good guest service. Pay no attention to the person who has been loyal for 20+ years for someone who might rent a slip for a summer or two.

All that crap aside, even IF they didn't use that space for a parking lot, I still don't think it would be used for a new coaster. It really isn't that big of a space when there are other areas in the park that I think would work out much better.

Boaters probably make up a small fraction of the park's revenue. Upholding a good image and performing positive PR moves is all well and good, but in the end they are a corporate business. They probably won't cancel building some new state of the art roller coaster that could potentially attract a significant amount of guests from all over the world just because some local "boaters" think it's going to be too loud or annoying.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I don't think you understand how important boating is along Lake Erie. Most of those local "boaters" are not local at all but come from all over the U.S. The rates for a dock start at over $2,000 and go up to almost $7,000. Times that by over 500 boat slips and that is nothing to overlook. If those boaters were not that important then Cedar Point Marina wouldn't spend the money to attend the Cleveland and Detroit Boat Shows and numerous other travel expos to try and attract new boaters. They probably also would not fork over the money to nearly double the size of the Marina and to also buy another marina next to Castaway Bay. Boating is BIG business in Sandusky.

The boaters have influence on the park like making sure the laser show never happened later then 10pm (exception 4th of July), getting the Employee Movie nights on the screen canceled, only letting Famous Dave's have 15 or so parking spots reserved for guests instead of more. They are responsible for the old storage yard next to MF being turned into parking for them. Bottom line, they do have influence and while they obviously don't have final say, it would be stupid to think the park would not take major consideration into the impact a coaster would have on the boaters if built within feet of the docks.

^New regieme, including someone with extensive experience with a company that not only goes to infinity and beyond with guest service, but the same company the really plays off their parks being destinations/resorts. Now which CF park is most like a destination/resort? Give me a minute....

^^^Then you might be a little shocked to learn how the boaters are treated compared to your average guest. And while it might not be hard to fill a slip for a season, the park wants to continue to sell that slip, Pepsi, souvenir, season pass, etc. to the same person every season not someone different. Sort of how parks treat guests who come to the park more then 3 times (season pass holders) with extra special perks then what the guy who comes once gets. Not to mention word of mouth in a boating community could probably be killer. How are you going to sell a $5,000 dock with a loud B&M 25 feet away? How do you not understand this? Maybe you are right, to hell with boaters willing to fork over tons of money!!!

^The management has always been good at the park but they were only ever allowed to be as good as Dick let them be. Dick being on the board doesn't me jack when it comes to improving guest service. The little bit that has been show to us from Matt is already enough to prove that the company is going to go in the direction that Matt wants, not what Dick wants. Way to be optimistic about good things for Cedar Point/Fair, buddy.

Edited by 99er

Even with Kinzel still on the board you can already see a difference. Heck, their GM tweets now. That was not something that was going to happen under Kinzel with the way he micromanaged the park. He treated it like his baby. That's not the case anymore. Even being on the Board of Direstors he is going to have much less say than he would have had if Q hadn't gotten the Board to start appointing people with no former ties to the company. It's a new day for CF and while you might not see too many things this year since Kinzel was still in charge when the capital plans were approved, going forward you will see a much different approach. Considering some of the stories I have heard about Kinzel...it's long overdue that he has retired.

^To add on to what 99er said....I know someone that owns one of the big boats like you might find at CP's marina. They pay a lot of money for the marina they keep their boat in in order for management to keep things quiet because you will often find these people are not only entertaining their own guests on the boat, but they do have beds in them and sleep in them. That's not going to happen with a coaster next door.

They pay a lot of money for the marina they keep their boat in in order for management to keep things quiet because you will often find these people are not only entertaining their own guests on the boat, but they do have beds in them and sleep in them. That's not going to happen with a coaster next door.

And this is how they have influence on what happens near the Marina. You would not believe the amount of thought that had to go into work orders and plans that were going to be done close to the Marina at night. It made 3rd shift maintenance hard on Blue Streak because you couldn't use loud saws at night if wood needed changed out. This is why employee movie nights on the big screen were canceled. The queue music for Millennium and Raptor use to come on at 8am until a boater made a call. Anything done on that side of the park or within ear shot of the boats had to be done in consideration of the boaters.

I guess what I have been trying to say is that I believe if Cedar Point finds a suitable plot of land to build whatever it is they want to build, they're going to build it. I'm not denying the boaters have some influence...over small things (employee movie nights, queue music adjusting, laser show times, maintenance loudness, etc. are all minor convenience adjustments). But I still have a hard time believing they would have much say when it comes to a major $25+ million investment. You said it yourself, they complained about Millennium Force being too loud, but it was obviously built, and I don't see any scream/noise shields going up anytime soon, like those on Silver Star at Europa Park.

I'm not doubting either of you have a vast knowledge-base on Cedar Point, as I'm sure you do and I respect that, this is just my opinion.

I agree with you there but maybe it is because I didn't really make it clear what I meant. I didn't mean the park would have the boaters over for a meeting to see if they would approve of a new coaster rather when the question came to CP executives of what to do with the land once Cedars was torn down, I believe they would ultimately decide to "give it to the Marina" and build a coaster elsewhere on the point since there is room in other places. When the time comes that you need more parking at the Marina, you pretty much need it AT the Marina. You can fit a coaster in plenty of other places including other parking lots that would permit the same land size for whatever layout that would have worked where Cedars is at.

And MF was still built because the complaints didn't come until after it opened. Obviously the boaters are not going to know how loud it is before it is built. Now that the park knows that though, they would take that into consideration when building a new coaster near the Marina.