TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Does Millennium Force have the Intamin Rattle?

I feel stupid because I should know what that is(being a TPR, roller coaster junkie) but what the heck is an Intamin Rattle?

It means that the ride is not rough, but it's not smooth either. All this in a special "Intamin characteristic way"

How has Millennium "lost airtime" over the years? Does it not go the same speed as when it opened? Perhaps it SEEMS less intense in a perceptual sense because of all of the more intense rides built since 2000, but I doubt it has "lost airtime."

It has! It's not going the same speed as when it opened. The ride in the last row (my favorite) has gotten rough with laterals the past several years. They need to work on this ride to return it to it's former self. I rode it this past August on the first train of the day and had NO AIRTIME. The train was moving so slow that we almost "valleyed" before the picture tunnel. That is a dramatic loss of speed...

That's interesting. I've been on that ride many times and I can tell about how fast it should be going over every hill and over-banked turn. When I was there on Saturday, it was very windy but they opened up the coaster anyway. It was moving dramatically slower over the crests of the hills and turns than usual. In all the times I've seen the coaster in action (I've been to CP 23 times this year alone) it was the slowest I've seen it moving...ever.

The over speed alarm is basically for the brakes since the brake run is so short. When the train is going too fast, there is no guarantee the train will be stopped in time, so as a consequence they have to run 2 trains so the unload station is empty while a train is on the circuit.

Fun fact: all Intamins at CP have an over speed error

The over speed alarm is basically for the brakes since the brake run is so short. When the train is going too fast, there is no guarantee the train will be stopped in time.

Fun fact: all Intamins at CP have an over speed error

You learn something new every day...

And see that haters, this will NEVER be a problem on Leviathan.

When I rode Millie at about 10:30 PM in early July this year in the back seat, it was absolutely FLYING. I didn't remember it having much (if any) airtime, but I was absolutely thrown out of my seat over the airtime hills. And there was absolutely zero rattle, just smooth and fast as I remember.

And to address the phenomenon known as "Intamin Rattle": Fahrenheit at Hershey is a perfect example. It's not rough, it's just "shaky", especially in the Cobra Roll. If you watch online POV's you can hear it easily.

Does Millennium Force have the Intamin Rattle?

Not at all when I rode it, it was running B&M hyper-smooth, and there was a good amount of airtime present, though it wasn't crazy ejector or anything. Everyone will have different answers to these kinds of questions, so the best thing to do is just go out and ride it. You'll like it no matter what, I can guarantee that.

I rode it this past August on the first train of the day and had NO AIRTIME. The train was moving so slow that we almost "valleyed" before the picture tunnel. That is a dramatic loss of speed...
When I rode Millie at about 10:30 PM in early July this year in the back seat, it was absolutely FLYING. I didn't remember it having much (if any) airtime, but I was absolutely thrown out of my seat over the airtime hills. And there was absolutely zero rattle, just smooth and fast as I remember.

The end.

I am not sure what the Intamin "rattle" is, but it if it is roughness that's not so rough that it's uncomfortable, then yes it does, mostly on the first overbank. I am assuming this is the same kind of stuff Twister and Dragster have? And the Kingda Ka rattle... I am sad to say I have noticed Maverick developing a bit of this.

^It is actually more the deformity of the track due to the wheels deforming. Urethane wheels warp and wear down a lot and they do so in an uneven manner. When they do this, they bump around the track. The typical solution is to replace them with newly wound wheels, but the problem is that over time this deforms the track as well, which you can't really fix.

B&M rattle I think is a little different. I think that's just because the wheels aren't fit to the track in the same manner as Intamin wheels, and they tend to move around a lot more. I first observed this riding Diamondback, when during the airtime hills you can actually see the wheel assemblies shaking left and right independent from the track. B&M wheels are clamped to the track using incredibly strong springs within the bogeys, whereas Intamin wheels are held to the track using black rubber stoppers which you can see rather easily. Unfortunately you can't see this on a B&M since the spring is hidden.