TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I would imagine that a smaller Eurofighter could fit in the space where Wildcat sits, along with clearing out a little bit of space just behind it, still along the Midway. Or a ZacSpin...or better yet, two side-by-side ZacSpins...

Yeah but I dont think cedar point would just put any eurofighter in.

Keep in mind Cedar Fair operates 3 of the 4 suspended coasters in North America. Clearly they have someone able to provide parts. Also, Iron Dragon will probably be around for a little while longer. Iron Dragon offers a ride for younger guests that would have to be replaced with an equal height requirement. Also, a lot of spot welding has been done on the track and support connections (seen by grey paint on the supports to cover the welding burn marks), so I can tell they don't plan on abandoning it.

Nahh,the dippin dots guy said t hat they've invested in the worlds biggest loudest toilet for 2013 & it'll be called Millenium Flush to compliment the new plumber's world theme they're going with.

Nice one!!!

They will need a good maitenance crew, so they could fix Top Thrill Clogs.

LMAO!!!!

Don't you mean "top thrill "dumpster"? (and now I don't mean a garbage can here as CP's already got enough of em).

Besides, Mean Streak's maintenance costs are astronomical, and most likely trump any single coaster at Cedar Point.

You'd be wrong. Top Thrill Dragster gets the highest annual budget by far.

Either way it's definitely up there, and TTD is a main part of what attracts people to Cedar Point, so every penny spent on maintenance is well worth it. Mean Streak...not so much.

Yeah they might have 5 Arrow Coasters but only 1 Arrow Suspended coaster and as far as I know there are only 4 other Arrow Suspended coasters in operation in the world. If the parts for the suspended coaster are different than all the other Arrow's and are specific to that model then it may not be an issue of saving money, it may be an issue of there are not parts available anywhere in the world, and when our parts inventory expires we can not operate.

I'd be willing to bet parts and maintenance are generally high for any Arrow model. Kennywood recently contracting Morgan to replace Phantom's entire first drop, and the removal of GASM at Great Adventure strongly support that notion.

Parts can always be made available for the right price, even if that means custom fabricating new ones. It's not a matter of running out of parts and not being able to operate, but rather if a park is willing to shell out the cash for said parts, and/or if that would be economical moving forward.

I'd be willing to bet parts and maintenance are generally high for any Arrow model. Kennywood recently contracting Morgan to replace Phantom's entire first drop, and the removal of GASM at Great Adventure strongly support that notion.

Parts can always be made available for the right price, even if that means custom fabricating new ones. It's not a matter of running out of parts and not being able to operate, but rather if a park is willing to shell out the cash for said parts, and/or if that would be economical moving forward.

It gets to the point where purchasing custom parts gets too expensive, and it causes the park to lose a lot of money. I'm sure if Cedar Point wasn't so concerned about the number of roller coasters they have in their park Iron Dragon would be gone by now.

One thing I'd like to see happen is an NTAG-esque makeover of Mean Streak. I don't hate Mean Streak, and I've ridden much rougher, but it's kind of a pointless ride in it's current trimmed-to-death state and seems like a perfect candidate for a makeover. Of course it wouldn't increase the coaster count but they could always pull a Magic Mountain and add a Zacspin too...

While I'd love to see the "Rocky Mountain Treatment" (NTAG) for Mean Streak, it won't happen. That question was asked during the "lovefest for Big Dick" at Coastermania this past June. He said they looked at it, and they won't spend $22 Mill. for a rework of an existing ride. I tend to agree with this. Very seldom do I agree with anything Big Dick says or does the past several years. My guess they'll get a new coaster back there someday. The key word there is someday. Who knows what this new CEO will do. Rest in peace -- Big Dick...

Did anyone ask a follow-up question as to why it was twice the cost of Texas? With the amount of space MS takes up, at $22m, you could easily build 3 Zac Spins there and have a ton of space left over.

Big Dick said the $22 Million number, so I'm guessing it was realistic.

I'm not questioning the $22m number, but more the company that provided it since it prices them out of the work. You don't have to be in the industry to know $22m is a crazy number that would never justify the additional investment. It's a shame because MS is a beautiful ride to look at, and not worth the time even as a walk on. I guess on the positive side, it's a ton of land that could accommodate a "real" draw at that end of the park.

It gets to the point where purchasing custom parts gets too expensive, and it causes the park to lose a lot of money. I'm sure if Cedar Point wasn't so concerned about the number of roller coasters they have in their park Iron Dragon would be gone by now.

Agreed.

Wasn't the 22 million an estimate for SOB to get the NTAG treatment not mean streak

Yeah, that was for SOB.

I do remember hearing that it would be expensive for Mean Streak, though I forget how much...

You guys are correct. That number was for SOB, not Mean Streak. I guess I've ridden too many coasters (not possible) and it scrambled my brains.

Wasn't the 22 million an estimate for SOB to get the NTAG treatment not mean streak

Yeah, that was for SOB.

I do remember hearing that it would be expensive for Mean Streak, though I forget how much...

Since its similar in size and scope as NTAG I would say around 10-11 million.

I have to wonder how many parks will spend that kind of money on existing rides when you could get a new coaster for a lower price tag (or close to it). Granted the results are great but the Texas Giant was an "icon" of sorts. Mean Streak I'm not too sure about.

Mean Streak is almost a giant catch-22. On one hand its a slow, boring ride that is really rough (just rode it last week and was one of the worse rides I have had) yet if you turn off the trims that (partly) make it slow and boring then it beats itself up. My idea for the ride would be reprofile some of the hills (I always thought all the hills leading up to the final brake run could make for some great bunny hills) and use lots of topper track.

Despite utterly agreeing on burning mean streak for an Intamin or a GCI plug-n-play, I need to change topics and state how down right excited I am that Halloweekends starts in 4 days and change!!!!

Come see the Screamsters at work doing a job we all love! I'm in Fear Faire, I carry a rubber chicken come say hi!

Edit: Removed the link to the website it was posted a while back.