TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Because someone had to tear it down. Too many positive remarks in a row, it was bound to happen sooner or later!

Honestly, it looks like a total lack of heartlining to me. Or not so much a lack of, but very poor heartlining. The top of the train looks to be way too low when it's upside down to be properly designed - it's like those LIM-coaster barrel rolls in RCT2. That, and the fact that you're hitting it at 70+mph and it's very cramped (I never did understand why they didn't extend it to the base of the first stengel dive off the bat...) makes for some crazy whiplash.

^ Maverick goes fast during that portion, no doubt, but it's definitely not that fast. I'd say more along the lines of 50-60, not 70+. The launch is 70, sure, but keep in mind the trims that directly proceed it, which have been there since day 1.

Still pretty fast to go through an inversion, usually a lot slower, and also when it goes through the curved hill it's picking up a load of speed.

Edited by Schotcher

^ Maverick goes fast during that portion, no doubt, but it's definitely not that fast. I'd say more along the lines of 50-60, not 70+. The launch is 70, sure, but keep in mind the trims that directly proceed it, which have been there since day 1.

The launch is 74, and I can't imagine that those trims slow you down to less than a good 45. I imagine by the time you're back to ground level you're hitting the low 60s. Not 70, sure, but much too fast to get through that heartline! Which is why, again, I never understood why they didn't draw it out a bit more with the room they had.

Yeah, the launch is 70. This is just my guess, but I feel like the trims slow it down to the low 50's, and after the drop, it's back in the mid 60's. I don't mind the trims at all, they give you half a second to catch your breath after the insane twist following the launch, before plunging you back down for more awesomeness.

Hate is a strong word...hate is for rides like mean streak. Why would you complain about them trying too hard to put in an airtime hill... as opposed to them not trying to?

I love Mean Streak; for me it's not rough but let's stay on track here. I 'dislike' Maverick a lot. IMO, I think they could've done better with the 'airtime' hill. It just seems like it is way too forceful. So they did, in fact, TRY to put one in but they just didn't do it right.

"I love Mean Streak"

All I need to see to completely ignore everything after it ( I'm kidding ) It feels like a jack hammer on the bottom of some of the hills though...

I see how some could not like the way Maverick tosses you around, but to me that adds to some of the fun. It whips the crap out of you, yes, but at least its airtime hill actually has air unlike its 300 ft tall cousin...

"I love Mean Streak"

All I need to see to completely ignore everything after it ( I'm kidding ) It feels like a jack hammer on the bottom of some of the hills though...

I see how some could not like the way Maverick tosses you around, but to me that adds to some of the fun. It whips the crap out of you, yes, but at least its airtime hill actually has air unlike its 300 ft tall cousin...

I agree; Mean Streak has its times where it's rough but I could say the same thing about Maverick...except its worse.

I think I just don't like the fact that Maverick is so compact in the space that it's in; that's why it is so jerky. I like Millennium because it's more spread out and is actually smooth unlike Maverick.

The so called 'airtime' hill seems like they tried too hard to make it an airtime hill and therefore it's not fun and is just plain uncomfortable.

How do you "try too hard" to make an airtime hill?

I suppose it's sort of like clicking on this thread. I "try too hard" to think something reasonable will come of it, but it just usually ends up "uncomfortable."

^Don't waste your time trying to understand it. If something's popular (Maverick) there's someone out there that has to find something negative about it. The only thing I don't like about Maverick is that it's not in So Cal

Yeah, the launch is 70. This is just my guess, but I feel like the trims slow it down to the low 50's, and after the drop, it's back in the mid 60's. I don't mind the trims at all, they give you half a second to catch your breath after the insane twist following the launch, before plunging you back down for more awesomeness.

It slows down going up the hill, then gets slowed WAY down by the trims, and it doesn't really go that fast cresting the hill before the (former) water bombs. I would say it's going 55 mph MAX when it hits those canyons, possibly slower.

How do you "try too hard" to make an airtime hill?

I suppose it's sort of like clicking on this thread. I "try too hard" to think something reasonable will come of it, but it just usually ends up "uncomfortable."

The airtime hill has too many g's, therefore making it uncomfortable. It's too much ejector seat; some people love that, I do too, but too much is too much.

The only coaster that sounds like it has "too much" of an airtime hill is Dodonpa. And that is just going off the description giving by Robb and other people that have ridden it. I haven't been on Maverick before, but the airtime hill looks extremely fun.

I totally agree Maverick's airtime hill is light-years more enjoyable than Magnums, and to be honest, it is basically a carbon copy of the RoS bunny hills at the end. I love ejector air, and don't mind a little bruising on my knees.

With that said, I hate whiplash elements. That one section on Maverick, and two on I305 are my least favorite coaster elements - but rank both Maverick and I305 in my personal top 10.

Cedar Point's Halloweekends details have been announced for the 2011 season! Check it out on http://www.Halloweekends.com

Mazes/Scare Zones:

Blood on the Bayou (NEW)

Lurking along the dark fetid waters of the bayou are mysteries too dangerous to explore, too twisted to explain. It's where nightmares live in the shadows, gruesome terrors freeze your blood and the dead walk, searching for new prey. Located on the Iron Dragon island.

Maniacal Mechanical Screamworks (NEW)

Journey into science fiction past and future to explore a sinister, steamy subculture where goggles and gears, Victorians and valves create a world that never was, but might have been. Located in the same location where the Fright Zone used to be.

Carnevil

The crazy clowns and lurking sideshow freaks are waiting to share their special brand of entertainment with you. Step right up!

Cornstalkers

Navigate your way through this disorienting, twisted path. Beware! There's more than just corn in this field.

Fear Faire

Step into our menacing, medieval marketplace - just hope the Inquisition doesn't come after you.

Terror Island

Arrrrrrrrr you brave enough? Meet the motley crews of sunken ships, left deserted on this island. But mind yer steps - they've been waitin' for rescue for over 100 years.

Haunted Houses:

Club Blood

Head out to Club Blood and "take a bite" out of your nightlife! Dance to the fresh beats and see the most exotic (and infamous) club-goers around.

Eternity Infirmary (NEW)

You can check in, but you can't check out! Stay away or you may become Eternity Infirmary's next patient. (Rename/retheme of last year's Dr. D Mented's Asylum)

Eerie Estate

This stately limestone mansion harbors deep, dark secrets guarded by ancient inhabitors seeking revenge and looking for more permanent residents.

Happy Jack's Toy Factory

When is a doll not a doll? When it's a fiendish, evil creature seeking revenge on humankind. You'll never turn your back on a stuffed bunny again.

And also a new addition to the 2011 season is a new haunted house "Fastpass" system called Zombie Tours:

Zombie Tours is your way to visit all of our Haunted Houses, plus two of our outdoor haunted mazes without waiting in line!

ZOMBIE TOURS will be lead around the park with front of the line access to the haunted houses and two outdoor scare zones. Tours will begin at Club Blood and then visit the following attractions: Happy Jack’s Toy Factory, Boeckling’s Eerie Estates, Blood on the Bayou, Eternity Infirmary and Cornstalkers. It is anticipated the tour will take 2 ½ to 3 hours to complete. Zombie Tour participants will also receive special advanced seating at Sideshow- A Carnival of Magic at the Aldrich theatre and The GoodTime Ghouls - A Halloweekend Hullabaloo at the Ghoul Time Theatre.

Looks like it's gonna be a damn good year for Halloweekends, especially for steampunk junkies like myself.

Maverick? Too much air? At least it's not a full 5 seconds of ejector air. Try KK. Literally, you can't even pull yourself back into the seat on the airtime hill, and even when you pull down with all your might it hurts your legs like hell.

I love everything about Maverick. It has all the best elements one could ask for in a roller coaster all meshed together in a single entity. It's a top 5 ride for me and my favorite ride at the park. The only aspect that I don't like is the restraint system. The lap bar can crush my thighs and the OTSR's can be painful if you don't turn with the ride. Oh, and the seat tries to violate you. But other than these complaints, the ride is wonderful.