TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well if you haven't noticed, SFMM and CP are kind of in a huge bru ha ha about who has the most coasters.

No they aren't.

If you check out the SFMM thread kinda has a whole thing about how CP is saying Superman: Escape from Krypton shouldn't be considered a coaster. They kinda both want the crown. :S

Edited by Schotcher

CP made note of an observation they've been trying to point out for a while now. Superman is on the fine line between coaster and glorified flat ride/tower, it just depends on who you're talking to. Personally I consider it a coaster, it has wheels it goes down the track then up the tower like a shuttle loop. The coaster wars have more or less been on a hiatus the past few years. Now, 10 or 15 years ago it was on in full swing for sure, not so much today.

It's basically a dumb thing that enthusiasts like to talk about so they can puff up their respective parks. A "coaster war" "existed" (double quotes!) for basic marketing when the economy was better, but it's hard to say there's any sort of actual competition especially when one park hasn't added a new coaster in four years.

I doubt we'll be seeing a Zacspin—too low of capacity for a new ride. Cedar Fair seems to be a little more daring lately when it comes to building "newer" or "first" products, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see something new to the industry, or a new twist on a newer design next.

I've said this before, but I would like to see a 4-train 120' dueling/racing GCI where Mean Streak is and a few new flat rides next to that.

When it comes to this so-called "coaster war" the parks should worry more about the quality of their coasters instead of how many you have. CP could put in two Wacky Worms and claim the title (and the CP fanboys would rush to be the first in line on opening day).

Personally I think CP will be getting a wing rider after looking what's been done and being done with Raptor, The Swarm, and what could be Dollywood's new ride and taking it to a higher level just like what they've done on past additions. Nothing wrong with Intamin but I'd like to see a new Beemer at the park again.

Coaster Wars...that is soooo 1990's! Do they have that for rent on VHS at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

Actually I'm glad that CP has been trying to focus on more flats and family rides lately. While most coaster enthusiasts love seeing a new, thrilling coaster it seems like more people had been (and still are) complaining about the lack of flats and family rides at the park despite the fact they have went down that road for the majority of the last ten years.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, it just cracks me up when people bitch when parks don't put in a new coaster and then bitch when they finally do because it isn't what they want.

Put in a family ride or flat and people moan that it doesn't have enough theming or takes away trees and landscaping. If it has theming then it's moaning about restraints, glitches with it not opening on time, or the ride just isn't thrilling enough.

Why not just go with the flow and be excited no matter what it is? I'm VERY leary about riding Windseeker at either CW or CP in the next couple of weeks, but I was excited about the new addition, it does look cool and I am certainly going to force myself to ride it (actually, I stupidly promised my BF one night @ the bar when I was drunk...gulp!).

Well if you haven't noticed, SFMM and CP are kind of in a huge bru ha ha about who has the most coasters. It's not about someone else already has one, it's that CP's rival park just bought one.

SFMM's rival parks are Knott's Berry Farm and maybe CGA. CP is much more worried about competition in the northeast. I highly doubt anyone besides a coaster enthusiast who was in CP's or SFMM's marketing area would be thinking "Hmmmmm, I think I'm going to drive two-thousand three-hundred miles to go to the other park because they put in a better new ride."

Honestly is cedar point could get anything I believe it should be out of the launch category as that is the only thing they've been doing since 2003, sure maverick has good reviews by coaster enthusiasts and TTD has good reviews from the GP, but too much can get boring. On that note I think the best thing for cedar point to get is a eurofighter or really anything outside of intamin.

I mean look at all of the trouble intamin's designs have gone through in the past years maverick, I305, sure the end result was awesome but the extra expenses of replacing track because of a design flaw or to fix an unseen flaw is unnecessary.

If cedar point were to launch again for 2013 I recommend premier's new design:

Sky rocket is a pretty compact launch coaster at kennywood, the short height, the lab bar only inversions will not only serve the enthusiasts well, but also scare the hell out of the GP.

What should lines be like on Monday the 22nd? I know that it's impossible to be sure, but does anyone have a reasonable estimate? Also, does getting to the park at opening and hitting Maverick, Millenium, and Dragster in order first sound like a good plan? I'm a first-timer who only has one day, so any tips would be great. Thanks in advance.

You're plan would work with Maverick having only a 30 minute wait or so, but with Early Entry and all Millennium and Dragster will have waits anyway so it doesn't matter when you ride them....

Here are the average waits for the day:

Maverick: 1hr 15

Millennium: 1hr

Dragster: 1hr

Magnum: Less than 15

But, I think Ohio schools are back in session by then, so you might find yourself with an empty Cedar Point!

also, I'm not a regular but from my CP experiences if Dragster is running early in the day, go to it. Just like Kinga Ka here in Jersey, you never know when that thing will be up or down, if you see it operating, I suggest going there first. I'll be there next month and am going to go by that motto, I did it the year Maverick opened, my dad and I got on it when it opened towards the evening time, thank goodness we did because it was closed all day the next day. Just a suggestion, have a blast!!

Cedar Point opened Snoopy's present, and guess what was inside? Cookies, according to Screamscape.

(8/9/11) August 7th came and went and the big present for Snoopy at Cedar Point went down just like it did last year… it was a big box full of cookies that were shared with the guests in the area. So no new attraction announcement yet…