TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have heard a great Rumor to Cedar Point 2012

The Park will add two new coasters to next year.

Why even put ANY weight behind this post? One look at his/her post count (8) confirms all you need to know.

We have some great posters on this board that have low post counts. Remember, it is not about the quantity, but the quality! But in this case, yeah...not so much quality.

I have never been to Cedar Point, first of all.

I know I will one day, being voted best park on Earth 11 years in a row. Even if I have to drive for 2 days alone and sleep in the Sandusky Motel 6. So I've done a considerable amount of research, and is this about right for the coasters (in no particular order)?

Top 5: Bottom 5:

Raptor Mean Streak

Maverick Disaster Transport

Millennium Force Wildcat

Top Thrill Dragster Mantis

Magnum XL-200 Iron Dragon

I have a feeling that I will like Magnum and Mean Streak, because they are very rough and fast (fyi I gave Gwazi a 9/10, and thoroughly enjoy intense ejector air).

So are my expectations about par, or am I missing something?

^Mantis is kind of hit or miss depending on the person so I would say go into that with an open mind. And also, don't bother going into Mean Streak expecting much. I like roughness on coasters as well, but that's about all Mean Streak has. The first drop is trimmed, the next two hills are painfully slow, and the rest of the ride just meanders. The one redeeming spot on the ride is the drop into the turn that leads into the MCBR in the back of the train. Other than that the ride does a whole bunch of nothing.

As overall advice I would say don't go into the park with a list of expectations for each and every ride. It's a lot harder to enjoy it that way. Just go, have fun, ride everything, and make your lists afterwards accordingly. You'll enjoy your visit so much more without any sort of expectations other than having a good time.

I feel like every time someone suggests these expansion ideas (i.e. build a parking garage, expand the peninsula, build a monorail over to the main land), there's one critical piece of information that's overlooked: Cedar Point's operating calendar. CP is a seasonal park, open late May through October (which is a shorter operating season than many other seasonal parks). If CP were to go ahead with some sort of major expansion, think about all the extra maintenance and upkeep costs the park would have to deal with during the winter months. The attendance gains would have to be huge in order to outweigh the increased burden of tending to a bigger park during the off-season.

It would also really spike the operating costs during the summer, considering all the extra staff, electricity, landscaping, etc. that would be required to continually operate a larger park. Once again, could the park really expect a big enough attendance gain to outweigh this?

Cedar Point is plenty big enough as it stands now. Barring a few Saturdays in July and August (as well as the occasional stellar weekend in October), CP has a hard time packing the place as it is; most of the time they can't even come close to the park's capacity. So I'm not sure that the size of the park is really an issue. Instead, I think that tweaking their current offerings, focussing more on the Resort aspect of things, building a bigger line-up of family attractions, etc., is a better, more effective use of the park's time and resources.

^Exactly. The first time I rode it I wasn't too happy afterwards, but after learning how to anticipate the upcoming elements properly the ride was extremely enjoyable. I actually quite like Mantis and make sure to ride it at least once every time I visit.

If they are in fact going to remove the riverboat ride after this season for dinosaurs and build a bridge over to MILF Island you could assume that the lagoon around MILF Island would useless for any type of full circuit boat ride ever again in the future.

If that does happen is there any reason that permanently draining portions of the lagoon at some point in the future to create space for a new attraction would be inconceivable? I believe that the lagoon was man made at some point in time anyways, so I think that draining it then refilling parts of it with dirt or rock or whatever could be done. The Sections under Mantis and Iron Dragon have a pretty nice visual aesthetic to them but the majority of the lagoon is mostly hidden from view on the main pathways. I could see the sections around and under the mine ride and along the border of camp snoopy being a great spot for some type of new attraction.

If a coaster was to be built for 2012, we'd see SOMETHING being done to the park by now.

Well then, what is......THIS???? 2091800537_Cedar_Point_2011045.jpg.548d2734683a20e101eeebd293d4bcbe.jpg

144' 2nd drop on the 2012 500 foot high Intamin pre-fab woodie which will fly over man-made islands on Lake Erie!

Saw this floating around, A interesting read no doubt

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427866&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Anyone care to touch on this or share stories? Life was never this bad at Geauga Lake or Six Flags WoA when I worked there but both had some really silly rules, And I can't speak too much on life as a grunt at geauga lake as I was of the so called "protected class" as I was a member of the police force. Although management did hate us and long shifts were common even for us.

ETA

Cedar Fair is supposedly aware of this online rant and according to the OP is losing their minds over the potential negative publicity.