TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Both are excellent choices. Both are large wooden coasters with plenty of track and room to modify the original layout for more airtime and/or overbanks, etc. Neither is a bad choice and both should be super large bonfires or given the IH treatment.

CEDAR POINT TO ADD THRILLING 18th COASTER TO THEIR LINEUP IN 2012

7/20/2011

Sandusky, Ohio

Cedar Point, America's Roller Coast, announced today that it will be unveiling a floorless Aquatrax coaster in the Spring of 2012. Current President and CEO Richard "Dick" Kinzel held a press conference earlier today to inform park followers and industry moguls alike. "I'm pulling the last ace out of my sleeve to shut up these damn enthusiasts", Kinzel said, of the new project. Kinzel is slated to retire after his contract is up in January 2012. Though an official press release was issued, no name was given for the new attraction. A spokesperson from the public relations department had this to say..."Names? No one gives a rat's A$$ about names. We could name this thing Flaming Dog Sh*t and fanboys would still flock halfway around the world to come ride it". The ride will feature 36 passenger trains, traveling a combined 11,700 feet of dueling track, a 165 mile-per-hour launch, a 600ft inverted top hat, and a "splash down" effect in nearby Lake Erie. Flaming Dog Sh*t is expected to headline the park's 2012 season and will replace the park's "Shoot the Rapids" attraction, due to "fanboys wanting a coaster more than 'some dumbass boat ride'".

Sure, I'll buy this!!! This is believable...

Anyone now if CP owns the land just before you get to the cause way? Its been a while since I've been to CP, but I believe there is a significant amount of land where a parking garage, similar to IOA, can be built. I never join the crowd that says CP is running out of room because that parking lot leaves so much potential if they can figure a way to redirect parking. I remember, years ago, there were rumors of a floating garage. Not sure if that is possible would be very cool. Im only asking because I believe the current parking lot will have much to do with expansion.

Sure, you asked if they owned that land (still don't know what "land" you mean, considering there are houses, farms, an airport, marinas, etc. all around) so a parking garage could be built on it. I replied implying that even if they did a parking garage wouldn't get built, let alone a floating one. If they were really that practical are for amusement parks, we'd already see tons of them around the country at Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks.

^Okay, I was trying to stimulate conversation on the parking options available. I have said that I haven't been to the park in quite a while and that I remembered here being some land before the cause way. Maybe there are houses, farms, etc, but I seem to read about houses and farms be bought quite frequently in order to build malls, warehouses, and "parking garages." No need to be a smart a$$. Even though it's the CP thread, I will refrain from inquiring from those that have the pleasure of visiting the park often or maybe even live in the Sandusky area. I was way outta line.

Sorry if I sounded like an ass, as I didn't intend to, I was simply trying to enlighten. The whole 'expanding out into the parking lot' has definitely been discussed into the ground before. It's definitely a good idea if done right, I was never saying it wasn't or trying to shoot down your idea (it could definitely add a nice touch to the Ocean Motion area even more), just that they would need to find some other option for parking other than a parking garage because the lot fills close to capacity (if not to capacity) on crowded days, and trimming it down for a large ride doesn't seem like it would be sensible.

The big problem with garages isn't even that they empty too slowly, it's maintenance costs. The average garage parking space in this country costs about 10 times as much annually to maintain as the average surface parking space. I will try to find the article that studied this if anyone is interested, but I have absolutely no idea where I saw it so it would take some digging. But this is why people only build garages when it's a last resort method to park more people. Until the park actually runs out of space, which wouldn't be for a LONG time, there isn't a need for a garage. Although the idea of putting that sea of parking into one, much smaller area, and using both the beachfront and bayfront areas as boardwalk type areas makes my imagination very happy

But yeah, until the park legitimately runs out of options to build rides (which, honestly, probably isn't going to be happening any time soon, or possibly ever) there is never going to be incentive to condense the parking into one structure rather than a surface lot.

^I'm curious - garage spaces aren't subject to weathering, and they're made of much more durable concrete, so I can't imagine they'd be that much more expensive...

Anyway, where exactly does CP have all this room people talk about? It just feels like it's really filling up when you walk around, you know?

^I'm curious - garage spaces aren't subject to weathering, and they're made of much more durable concrete, so I can't imagine they'd be that much more expensive...

Anyway, where exactly does CP have all this room people talk about? It just feels like it's really filling up when you walk around, you know?

I can understand a garage being a little more expensive to maintain with the lights, elevators and other mechanical equipment etc but with Cedar Point being a seasonal park it may not be as expensive as operating one year round.

^ There are lots of areas if you look at an aerial map. You can't really tell when you're walking on ground level. Besides, if you've ever been to a place like Indiana Beach, you'll realize that the rides at Cedar Point are still relatively far apart. They can fit a lot more in there without much issue.

^^^Totally forgot about that stuff! I bet they could up pricing a dollar and pay for all that though. Cut "preferred" and give people lot or no lot, with the lot being the closer option!

^^People keep mentioning Grona Lund and IB, but am I the only one that doesn't want to see CP like that? There's a cool quality the overlapping gives to those places, but that just doesn't fit with a big park to me.

Anyone now if CP owns the land just before you get to the cause way?

They own a decent amount of land in the area along 1st street as well in the "Big Island" area, including land that is occupied with residential houses and a couple warehouses.

The idea of building a parking garage on the mainland has been tossed around for a long time. I don't see that happening but what I could see being done is something that no one ever mentions. Build a parking LOT off point (crazy I know). They own enough land that they could build a lot which is obviously a lot cheaper than a garage. The lot would not have to be as big as the current one either since they could still have bus, handicap and even "preferred" parking still on point. Again, not something I see them doing but it is more plausible then a garage being built.

Sorry to be off topic here, but does anybody know why TTD has been closed all day for the past 2 days??

These "types of rides" have trouble with the high heat. That lesson wasn't learned at the first install Xcelerator at Knotts.