TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I too would hate to see DT leave - it's fun for us ol' heads who need a break from the big thrill rides, especially on a hot day, and a perfect ride for those middle kids. There is nothing more that I personally would like to see but a bigger ET running along the beach - it is one GREAT air time machine that was smooth as glass the last time I rode it.

Just to throw my 2 cents into the ring, would CP think about adding 2 coasters in 2013?

A GCI dueling racer or Gravity Group dueler with high fives and such to replace Mean Streak?

A B&M dueler of any kind, or even the combination of an Intamin Mega-Lite and GCI twister in one year?

I'm sure they think and consider just about everything we do here. It's really about funding, the economy, and marketing. I don't think they'll get rid of MS, since that would make reclaiming the most coasters title that much harder. I would love to see dueling Intamin woodies - while they certainly could follow MM's tact of adding multiple coasters of varying sizes and costs to reclaim the title. The question is do they want it back and I'm sure that will be a top priority of the new management. I certainly like what they've been saying about respecting their past and legacy and moving forward. Time will tell and doubt CP will disappoint.

Just to throw my 2 cents into the ring, would CP think about adding 2 coasters in 2013?

A GCI dueling racer or Gravity Group dueler with high fives and such to replace Mean Streak?

A B&M dueler of any kind, or even the combination of an Intamin Mega-Lite and GCI twister in one year?

They have Gemini, no need for another racing coaster. Not to mention I don't think a 100 foot GCI would do that much for the GP to be honest, considering everything else they have. Sure Maverick was a hit at only 105 feet, but there is only so much you can do with a wooden coaster before it starts to get redundant...they already have Gemini (which the GP perceives as 'wooden'), Mean Streak, and Blue Streak. If CP were to go the wood route, I could see them either giving Mean Streak the RM treatment, or doing what Robb said and building another El Toro, only taller, steeper, and faster. I doubt CP would ever add a Mega-Lite. While us enthusiasts know how forceful and awesome they are, the GP would probably perceive it as too small and similar to Maverick.

As said in the post above me, I have much faith in CP and doubt they will disappoint.

I think a B&M flyer could do the park a lot of good, it's something different for them. Also, the GP can't see it as being redundant (unless they mistake it for a B&M invert). It would also be cool if they could put a new Zac-Spin coaster in the same year, not just an insane clone. It can help them reclaim the world's most title at a minimal square ft cost. Also, if they are going to keep Mean Streak please a little Rocky Mountian love on those tracks!

^Didn't stop them from adding Wicked Twister.

A nice GCI twister in the front area of the park around Space Spiral would be nice. Rip up the parking lot so that it won't look like a parking lot coaster. One ride in those Millennium Flyers and everyone would forget Mean Streak even existed.

^ Yeah I suppose. But WT does have 32 passenger trains and 1000 RPH capacity. Also I think that it being suspended makes loading and unloading a little bit faster. Not saying it's impossible that CP would build another shuttle, I just don't see it happening.

To be honest, I don't know why people keep bringing up the "most coasters" angle here. The coaster wars are over. If the removal/replacement of an existing ride would make the park better, they'll do it. Some of the rides are getting old (particularly Wildcat) - if the best option would be to remove a ride/coaster and add a newer, better ride in its place, CP would do it.

That being said, I don't think CP will remove any coasters for a 2012/2013 ride. One rumor that's been going around the last few years is to put a new coaster in the employee parking lot, out behind Disaster Transport. Knowing CF and (specifically) CP, it wouldn't be a parking lot coaster. They'll take the extra time to make the area look nice and fit in with the rest of the park. Taking the lazy way isn't something that CF would do with their flagship park.

^ Agree 100 percent. Besides, SFMM managed to remove both Psyclone and Flashback and still remain within striking distance. Cedar Point could easily remove a coaster and be fine. The building of roller coasters goes in cycles, and Cedar Point's time is coming.

To be honest, I don't know why people keep bringing up the "most coasters" angle here. The coaster wars are over. If the removal/replacement of an existing ride would make the park better, they'll do it.

I disagree. SFMM wouldn't be advertising "18 coasters, the most on the planet!" so heavily if they were truly over. It's definitely not as prominent as before (and may have even taken a short hiatus), but the "coaster wars" are definitely still there, albeit in a somewhat smaller light. How many Arrow coasters have recently been removed due to rising maintenance costs? Yet Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, Gemini, CCMR, and Magnum all still stand. Wouldn't it seem economical to remove at least one or two for better replacements? But that would decrease coaster count and take a few years to recover. I'm sure Wildcat and DT aren't getting any cheaper to maintain either (and let's not even get started on Mean Streak's maintenance costs). Now, I know the sole reason they still stand isn't because of the diminished coaster count, but you can't say that doesn't factor in. I'd bet money that it does.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I could see them removing Wildcat for a Zac-Spin. Wildcat is on the old side, so it could be up for replacement. The Zac-Spin would take up the same amount of land, possibly less. Does anyone know the hourly capacity of Wildcat? I would assume it would be around the same, the only issue would be where to put a longer queue. Is there space behind the ride? They wouldn't want to take up too much midway space since that is where they have the end of the night show.

I could see them removing Wildcat for a Zac-Spin. Wildcat is on the old side, so it could be up for replacement. The Zac-Spin would take up the same amount of land, possibly less. Does anyone know the hourly capacity of Wildcat? I would assume it would be around the same, the only issue would be where to put a longer queue. Is there space behind the ride? They wouldn't want to take up too much midway space since that is where they have the end of the night show.
CP will never get a Zac Spin.....how bout a family launch looping coaster like galaxi express 999

CP will never get a Zac Spin.....how bout a family launch looping coaster like galaxi express 999

I would ask for reasoning, but I doubt you have any. Regardless, there's a lot better chance of them getting some type of ZacSpin in the future as opposed to getting some puked-it-up-in-five-minutes floorless model from B&M......or a clone.

Personally I don't think that Cedar Point can wrong with anything ZacSpin, Flyer, Dive Machine, Floorless, Woodie, Racing woodie, they really have a lot to choose from as far as a new coaster that is different than something they have.

Would anyone 's feelings be hurt if they removed the Mine Ride and installed a new custom Gerstlauer Bobsled coaster? I'm kind of surprised no parks in America have built any of those yet. They all look like awesome family style coasters and I've heard nothing but good things about them from everyone on TPR trips. They're not exactly capacity monsters but oh well.

**Also, is there any reason from an operations standpoint that Cedar Point couldn't build a coaster in the infield of Top Thrill Dragster? Always seemed like a giant open field to me that some type of coaster would fit into fairly well. Maybe like a Vekoma motobike or something.

I would ask for reasoning, but I doubt you have any. Regardless, there's a lot better chance of them getting some type of ZacSpin in the future as opposed to getting some puked-it-up-in-five-minutes floorless model from B&M......or a clone.

Yes after seeing a major park get one and has low capacity and breaks down due to heat problems...yeah I dont see one coming there...at least for me.

Edited by FrightFest1408

**Also, is there any reason from an operations standpoint that Cedar Point couldn't build a coaster in the infield of Top Thrill Dragster? Always seemed like a giant open field to me that some type of coaster would fit into fairly well. Maybe like a Vekoma motobike or something.

Not enough room for even a zacspin. Use Google Earth, there isnt much room. Unless you take out the flood lights but Id vote against that .TTD looks epic at night. A big part of its allure at night is the spotlighting done from all angles on that tower.

Come to think of it, not even sure a Drop tower would fit comfortably.

Real said it best, where is there room to build anything there? It's hardly a "giant open field" at all. You have the queue (which fills on busy days) and transfer track, then an access road for utility vehicles, then the building for the hydraulic motor, then a small section of grass which has spotlights for the tower. After all that you're running into the supports for the tower. On one side you have Iron Dragon and the water around Millennium Island, and on the other you have a very skinny midway with Corkscrew, Power Tower, Perimeter Road, and the Breakers parking lot (which fills during peak time). It's amazing they were able to squeeze TTD in where it is, let alone another coaster also.

Keep in mind that coasters are a lot more than just track and footers...electrical, water, hydraulic fluids (possibly) all need running, not to mention lift/launch motors, queues/exits, transfer track, handicap ramps, etc. Cedar Point has shown great creativity in the past, but this might be pushing it.