TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^My opinion for a long time was that a new coaster would be headed to the Point in 2012, and for a time, I thought it would be a giant ZacSpin in the old Demon Drop location. I think we can safely assume that since Ocean Motion was moved there, that won't happen. That doesn't mean they can't get a ZacSpin sometime in the future, but with SFMM beating them to the punch on that one, I seriously doubt that CP would get one.

I've been hoping for a new wooden coaster for a very, very long time, but I have no idea whether or not they want to go that route. I honestly think a wooden coaster would EASILY be their most logical course of action. Either that or some type of family coaster. Anybody's guess would be as good as mine with regards to what they will actually put in. Just gotta wait and see really. During Coaster Mania, Kinzel hinted that John Hildebrandt would have a big announcement to make next year, so maybe 2013 will be it.

^^The only really big thing was an attraction named "Leviathon" that could possibly be headed for Carowinds, and it would be quite a large attraction. However, neither of us were sure if that would actually happen, considering Intimidator was just built there.

Thanks for the insight Steve, which of course prompts a few more questions if you don't mind. I guess the crux of my question is given CP's past marketing as "America's roller coast" and their desire for records, your response leads me to think they are moving away from their past marketing tact? I too thought a Zac Spin made sense, but have never embraced a new woodie after MS, and never thought of a family coaster after all the family friendly attractions over the last few years, especially if Dinosaurs comes to the point.

I know with the new management it's tough to predict, but do you think CP is moving away from world record coasters?

Since we don't know each other, I'm a HUGE CP fan-boy. I live in Boston, went to CP by myself in '89 for the opening of Magnum, had season passes at CP in '90 through '93, due to my love of non-looping coasters, like most of the GP.

I've visited CP for every coaster opening they've had since 89, and honestly doubt I'd make a trip for a "family" coaster like Cheetah Hunt.

So in your opinion is the era of world record coasters at CP over/delayed, or do you think we could see something like Takabisha, the most recent world record coaster?

^I think they might be. Perhaps they learned their lesson with the troubles they had with TTD. It's not always about setting world records, although that does help with marketing. Maverick is a great example of how a ride doesn't have to break any records to be a LOT of fun.

Now that you mentioned Takabisha, I think some type of big Eurofighter could potentially be a good fit for the park. And you're right, it's very difficult to say where the park will head with a new CEO in town, but I'm sure they'll do what they can to keep their reputation intact.

I would still really love to see a new wooden coaster somewhere on the peninsula, but I'm a woodie fanatic, so I'm a little biased.

^^The only really big thing was an attraction named "Leviathon" that could possibly be headed for Carowinds, and it would be quite a large attraction. However, neither of us were sure if that would actually happen, considering Intimidator was just built there.

Uhh....

Leviathon

A huge, painful turd that one manages to squeeze out of one's a**, and which then blocks the toilet by refusing to travel through the U-Bend. This beast of a s*** can be nearly a foot long and two inches thick.

LINK - Urban Dictionary

^Wow. Awesome contribution, sport. Seems as if I was off by one letter.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/leviathan

le·vi·a·than

   [li-vahy-uh-thuhn] Show IPA

–noun

( often initial capital letter ) Bible . a sea monster.

any huge marine animal, as the whale.

anything of immense size and power, as a huge, oceangoing ship.

^Wow. Awesome contribution, sport. Seems as if I was off by one letter.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/leviathan

le·vi·a·than

   [li-vahy-uh-thuhn] Show IPA

–noun

( often initial capital letter ) Bible . a sea monster.

any huge marine animal, as the whale.

anything of immense size and power, as a huge, oceangoing ship.

That seems much better! But, with the stories I've heard about CF's management, your first spelling seemed at least somewhat believable...

Thanks for the great dialogue Steve and agree / hope CP will try to keep their reputation in tact. I like wood too, since Boulder Dash is less than 2 hours away, but you can only do so much with traditional wood. I LOVE El Toro for the fact it delivers an amazing ride and takes wood to a new level.

Maverick was an AMAZING addition to the park and really delivers imo and completely understand the challenges that TTD represents. With that said, TTD still out ranks KK and in my opinion still delivers for the park. (I still get nervous every time I get into my seat) - LOL - lap bars really make a difference imo.

All I can say in closing is that my first ride on I305 was with Kerry Earnheart, I WILL be at Knotts if they build a giga, had no desire to make the trip to Tampa this year, and wish Takabisha was closer.

Happy 4th to all!

Leviathon

A huge, painful turd that one manages to squeeze out of one's a**, and which then blocks the toilet by refusing to travel through the U-Bend. This beast of a s*** can be nearly a foot long and two inches thick.

New Son of Beast theme?

It's one thing for something like Dinosaurs Alive! to maybe travel from park to park every year but to build one at multiple parks and to have them stay there for years...just seems a little ridiculous to me. If they do want to build another Dinosaurs Alive! attraction, build another one in a park across the country like at Knott's in California...not in the same state.

^I agree. I thought about this yesterday. Is Dinosaurs Alive a permanant attraction or is it one of those that will stay at a park for a few years and then move on to another park, like the old Six Flags ride rotation program? I can see the newness of it wearing off fast as guests are not going to plunk $5 to see it every year.

But take into account that very, very rarely does Kings Island advertise in the Cleveland area so no one up here knows of DA down there. IIRC the only times KI has advertised up here was for The Beast (commercials), during the early to mid-80's when they ran cmmercials advertising it as a vacation spot and not just the park only (during the "Do It All" slogan years), Drop Zone/Face Off (commercials) and the "new" Boomerang Bay (billboards).

Well, we can always hope that they put one of those flaming dinosaurs too close to Mean Streak.

Just for the record, I took someone who had NEVER been on a roller coaster to Cedar Point last Tuesday. I took him on Mean Streak and he really enjoyed it; just saying.

^The two times I've been this season, Mean Streak has been running better than it has in a while. The ride's layout is still about as boring as you can get, but the drop after the turnaround above the lift actually offered a pop of airtime towards the back of the train. The ride needs serious help, but it's running the best it has in a long time.

Well, we can always hope that they put one of those flaming dinosaurs too close to Mean Streak.

Just for the record, I took someone who had NEVER been on a roller coaster to Cedar Point last Tuesday. I took him on Mean Streak and he really enjoyed it; just saying.

Yeah, the first time I took my wife there, this was one of her favorites. She is not a geek like the rest of us, more like the gp. She doesn't get the whole boringness, roughness of rides, she likes them for what they are. It is fun to hate on some rides as we know what is more extreme/intense than say the gp, and Mean Streak is a very good ride for those people. I guess we have to take the good with the bad and learn to live in harmony. Well, enough for my philosophical rants today.......looking forward to what is in store in the future.

I'm looking at a visit between Aug 16 (a Tues) and Aug 18 (Thurs). It's the last week of 10-10 hours, and spans the entirety of the Wheels of Thunder special event (stock car racers will be at the park). Does Wheels of Thunder impact attendance?

We plan to arrive in plenty of time for Platinum Pass early entry, stay through close on day one, then come back a second day for early entry before leaving in the early afternoon. This is our second visit, so I don't feel we have to hit every coaster, just our favorites.

Thanks for the insight Steve, which of course prompts a few more questions if you don't mind. I guess the crux of my question is given CP's past marketing as "America's roller coast" and their desire for records, your response leads me to think they are moving away from their past marketing tact? I too thought a Zac Spin made sense, but have never embraced a new woodie after MS, and never thought of a family coaster after all the family friendly attractions over the last few years, especially if Dinosaurs comes to the point.

I know with the new management it's tough to predict, but do you think CP is moving away from world record coasters?

Since we don't know each other, I'm a HUGE CP fan-boy. I live in Boston, went to CP by myself in '89 for the opening of Magnum, had season passes at CP in '90 through '93, due to my love of non-looping coasters, like most of the GP.

I've visited CP for every coaster opening they've had since 89, and honestly doubt I'd make a trip for a "family" coaster like Cheetah Hunt.

So in your opinion is the era of world record coasters at CP over/delayed, or do you think we could see something like Takabisha, the most recent world record coaster?

Adding my input to this...

I wouldn't mind seeing CP take a step back from pushing to have the most coasters for a while to maybe update their current collection first. Wildcat's recent accident is a good example...perhaps it's time to remove it and add a more modern wild mouse style of coaster, maybe a nice Maurer Söhne Xtended SC 3000. We also all know what their wooden coaster situation is like, and how they drastically need an update in that area. Not to mention Soak City and how out of date it is. Only to name a few.

Can't argue with any of your points no doubt. Wildcat is a classic that may have seen better days, while MS is a total disappointment. I still like Blue Streak and hope that stays for a good long time. I also agree Soak City could use an upgrade and suspect any or most of these changes could be accomplished in addition to adding Dinosaurs alive. If the revenue split is truly 50/50, I suspect CP's investment is minimal for this attraction.

Im sure if they just were willing to sink a little money into it to add some new technology like adding magnetic brakes and other various improvements it would be fine, its an old ride and just needs some TLC it would be much cheaper than replacing it I would think

It would be cheaper right then and there to do that, sure, but as parts become more scarce and whatnot, it would probably be more economical in the long run to add something like what I mentioned above. Wildcat ran it's course, it might be time to move on before it gives them anymore trouble.

Not to mention Soak City and how out of date it is. Only to name a few.

Afraid that's probably not going to happen. It's just about as bare bones as it gets for a water park, and it still hits capacity quite frequently during the year. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. People are always going to flock into the water park, especially resort guests. CP is doing just fine in that department, so don't hold your breath for any new rides in there.