TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Just to clarify, I am sure CP is aware of the situation, and taking the appropriate actions if needed, while I didn't say or imply the ride wasn't safe. What I did say was that I personally will never ride it. I'm not a fan of spinning rides and have only ridden a yo-yo once. That kind of excitement 300 feet in the air just isn't my cup of tea.

The seats have a tendency to sway when empty with high winds. I've heard that Cedar Point is now waiting for the ride to be full before operating since the video was posted.

Jim

On slow days I'm thinking that waiting for it to fill up each time would take a while...

They should do what KD does with their Drop Tower, only operate it in sections. On slower days only load half of the swings. Or at least just group the guests together and tell them to just fill the seats in order and to not skip any.

Waiting until they have a full cycle may not be such a bad idea. There's a lot of coasters/flat rides that need to have a certain number of riders and/or balanced load before dispatching. I can't imagine Cedar Point gets so dead to the point where they'd be struggling to fill seats on WS.

How is this honestly scaring anyone? Weren't the original complaints about this ride due to the fact that it had actual arms that would make it feel more secure as opposed to chains? Normal chair swings with chains swing abnormally like this, so what's the big deal? If anything people should be saying "Awesome! These Mondial rides aren't the boring 'sterile' rides I thought they were going to be! There's actual swinging action on those arms... COOL!"

Not sure if this is a similar enough ride to be relevant, but when I rode a StarFlyer the attendants were very careful and exacting about balancing. However, they would run it with very few riders (perhaps only one or two?) with no issues.

Chance Yo-yo's do this all the time... If it's safe 50 feet in the air, it's safe 300 feet in the air.

If it's a safety concern, the park will shut it down and fix the issue. Even if the cars are bumping, they aren't hitting hard enough to injure people, and swaying back and forth a tad isn't going to suddenly make it possible for the cars to fall off.

All of these "OMG I'M NEVER RIDING WINDSEEKER" comments sound like something we'd expect to hear from the gp. No offense

QFT.

If it was dangerous, the ride wouldn't be operating. I'm sure the ride is designed to do this, to ensure that there is enough lee-way on the joints to prevent excess stress on the arms. Besides, other chairswings and similar rides (especially those with chains) do this as well, so I'm sure that if it was unsafe, they wouldn't be operating the ride. And as someone stated before, it's not like the seats are swinging around at Skyhawk-like speeds. It's relatively slow, and I doubt it's enough to injure anyone if they were to bump up against each other.

Well, the night I took my pictures I watched it for some 2hrs. The winds were calm and I'm inclined to believe that's what was causing this. I wouldn't be alarmed, I am very certain they planned for this especially since anything 300ft up will tend to deal with more wind than ground level.

But I spent 20min in line and never once saw what that video did. Then, after almost 90min of photography, still saw nothing. I watched it till its last ride of the night. There was no movement like that whatsoever. My ride on Windseeker also reflected that.

Not sure its as much cause for concern as everyone is making it out to be. Theres a few minds on here acting like its some design flaw and the rides going to turn Windseekers into ConcreteSeekers or ErieSeekers. I just dont see that being the case.

The seats have a tendency to sway when empty with high winds. I've heard that Cedar Point is now waiting for the ride to be full before operating since the video was posted.

Jim

Cedar Fair and most especially Cedar Point, is very safety conscious. Their director of Safety Monty Jasper (located in Sandusky) is a very, very conservative person. It's been his decision to trim many of the C.F. wood coasters much to my frustrations. Also they don't run dueling coasters one forward and one backward at his direction.

If there is a "problem" with Windseeker, Monty be on it immediately.

You think theyd overlook a ride rotating 300ft in the air? Located on a peninsula known for crazy weather? I doubt it man. I've lived near Lake Erie all my life. Everyone knows how unpredictable and quick weather changes around here.

On top of that, I doubt the manufacturer said "this would never happen" and instead I'm sure CP was aware this issue could happen. You didn't see the ride e-stopped immediately did you? Id bet while maybe something not seen before, I doubt it was dismissed as impossible.

Chance Yo-yo's do this all the time... If it's safe 50 feet in the air, it's safe 300 feet in the air.

If it's a safety concern, the park will shut it down and fix the issue. Even if the cars are bumping, they aren't hitting hard enough to injure people, and swaying back and forth a tad isn't going to suddenly make it possible for the cars to fall off.

All of these "OMG I'M NEVER RIDING WINDSEEKER" comments sound like something we'd expect to hear from the gp. No offense

QFT.

If it was dangerous, the ride wouldn't be operating. I'm sure the ride is designed to do this, to ensure that there is enough lee-way on the joints to prevent excess stress on the arms. Besides, other chairswings and similar rides (especially those with chains) do this as well, so I'm sure that if it was unsafe, they wouldn't be operating the ride. And as someone stated before, it's not like the seats are swinging around at Skyhawk-like speeds. It's relatively slow, and I doubt it's enough to injure anyone if they were to bump up against each other.

That's all it takes is for one car just to touch another one or not even that, just get close and the next thing you know there is a lawsuit because somehow some idiot got "injured" when this happened.

^You just hit it spot on.

Someone's gonna get on it with a previously sprained ankle or something, then get hit by one of the other swings and since we live in sue-happy America, they'll want as much money as they can get for it. And then the Windseekers will get a bad rep because the GP will over exaggerate "OMG sum1 lost foot on teh seekerwind!1" and all this bad stuff.

I'm not scared for the safety of the guests, just how easily Windseeker's reputation can turn bad for the GP....

QFT.

That's all it takes is for one car just to touch another one or not even that, just get close and the next thing you know there is a lawsuit because somehow some idiot got "injured" when this happened.

On Raptor if you ride in the left hand seats you could smash your leg up bad either in the turn out of the station or the drop because the trains turn in. Exact same situation as Windseeker but Raptor still runs. I do this all the time I just dont lock my leg up against the car in front. But its still fun to mess around with. Guess if I ever do twist my leg or something Ill just use this excuse, it should hold up.

Cedar Fair and most especially Cedar Point, is very safety conscious. Their director of Safety Monty Jasper (located in Sandusky) is a very, very conservative person. It's been his decision to trim many of the C.F. wood coasters much to my frustrations. Also they don't run dueling coasters one forward and one backward at his direction.

While yes I agree if there was a problem Cedar Fair would be all over it but it wasn't really his decision to trim the many wooden coasters at least not because he is a "conservative" person. Trims most of the time are in place to save the ride from beating itself up. I remember talking to some people at Cedar Point and they told me how after the first season it was clear the only way to save Mean Streak from tearing itself apart was to trim it.

While yes I agree if there was a problem Cedar Fair would be all over it but it wasn't really his decision to trim the many wooden coasters at least not because he is a "conservative" person. Trims most of the time are in place to save the ride from beating itself up. I remember talking to some people at Cedar Point and they told me how after the first season it was clear the only way to save Mean Streak from tearing itself apart was to trim it.

It's funny the The Beast at K.I. never had trims (especially on the first down hill) for 20 + years. It should've come down by now. They now have 4 sets of "Cedar Fair" trims, it just ruins the pacing of the ride.

As for Mean Streak, that's another story. I wish it would tear itself down and do us all a favor. I rode it in the evening at Coastermania with out most of the trims and it was acceptable. I rode it the next day with the G.P. and it sucked.