TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well, I'm sure now they've putting together some policy that states that no rides with winds in excess of 10MPH. Wouldn't you think they would've thought about this with the ride right on the water and it's name -- WINDSEEKER? That's why I call it "breaking wind," since It'll cause you to $hit yourself with the "pods" crashing into each other at 300' in the air...

My guess is that the arms are supposed to do that. I would imagine that it was designed to allow the seats enough movement in all directions, as having only swing joints might result in more stress if they can't move in all directions.

I'm wondering why when the ride was designed, they didn't make it so that the cars can only swing left to right (or in and out), but NOT forward and backward. This would keep the spacing between the cars equal no matter what. Wouldn't that make sense, or am I just being silly?

EDIT: DiSab posted while I was typing my post, so maybe stress on the joints is the answer?

I'm sort of surprised that the forward and backward swinging is so drastic... Obviously the video may not tell the whole story, but it sure looks like those pods are coming close together!

Wasn't the whole point of CF choosing Mondial supposed to be about wind resistance in the first place? I get that Cedar Point has high winds, but this doesn't look as wind resistant as CF had boasted!

I'm amazed by the video too - Of course the camera angle may have something to do with it - but it actually looked like one of the riders actually pushed away another chair with his feet - I can't believe it and will NEVER ride Windseeker (fix or no fix).

I'm amazed by the video too - Of course the camera angle may have something to do with it - but it actually looked like one of the riders actually pushed away another chair with his feet - I can't believe it and will NEVER ride Windseeker (fix or no fix).

Huh? why?

When in the video did you see that?

Yea...thats physically impossible. I have rode it already. The cars dont swing forwards and backwards at all. And if they do, its not even possible for them to swing that much. The sideways swing is also minimal.

^They do. I think the only reason this is a big deal to people is that a solid pole over a chain makes you think of something more sturdy. When, in reality, Mondial probably designed the ride like this so as to not stray too far from a Wave Singer, or a StarFlyer.

Now, regardless, I won't ride it. The swings tend to make me uncomfortable, and looking at these terrifies me 10x more than the drop towers down the midway!

From the vids I've seen on youtube CP versions seams to be the only one doing this at least to this extreme, maybe it has something to do with it being right next to the water and the winds that come off of it. Either way if Knotts version is doing that they won't have to worry about me on it lol. I can ride any coaster but that the way it's moving in that video looks like it may be a little to freaky for me.

2011 - Windseeker - (6/20/11) Remember all those stories about delays, modifications and unexpected difficulties with the Windseeker rides? Well a reader came across this great video of new Cedar Point ride in action shot from the ground, looking fairly straight up at it. All seems well for the first 60 seconds, but if you look closely at the whirling cars going around, you’ll notice a few very odd things start to take place.

Some of the pods begin to sway forwards and backwards as they spin, getting closer and closer to coming into contact with another pod. Keep watching… by about the 80-90 second mark, you’ll see several different pods start to sway like this, out of sync with the rest of the ride. In fact at the 1:41 mark, in the upper right corner, you can see a rider stick out his foot and appear to make contact with the pod in front of them, and again in the same section of the screen at 1:47. In fact, by this point if you pause the video at just about any point, you’ll see some almost frightening spacing issues with the pods as the ride lowers itself back towards the ground and begins to slow down. You can even hear voices in the crowd below commenting that, “They’re bumping!”

I don’t know about the rest of you, but this video worries me a bit. Of course, I’ve also seen several videos of the ride at Canada’s Wonderland in action and I haven’t noticed this bad of a swaying problem there, but this seems to be one of the major issues that had delayed the opening of the ride in the first place. Of course you can also hear the wind howling, so perhaps they were ready to shut down for high winds just after this video was shot. It’s hard to say taken out of context without having been there.

Holy crap! I AM NOT riding Windseeker!

Chance Yo-yo's do this all the time... If it's safe 50 feet in the air, it's safe 300 feet in the air.

If it's a safety concern, the park will shut it down and fix the issue. Even if the cars are bumping, they aren't hitting hard enough to injure people, and swaying back and forth a tad isn't going to suddenly make it possible for the cars to fall off.

All of these "OMG I'M NEVER RIDING WINDSEEKER" comments sound like something we'd expect to hear from the gp. No offense

^I'd be inclined to agree. I'd imagine if the park is fully aware of the situation, and is aware that it could happen during a given cycle, and runs the ride anyway, then it's probably fine. At any rate, I'm used to it on Yo-Yos.