TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

If that's the official video, that's pretty sad. If you're going to hire a crew to come out and shoot in a chopper, use a gyro stabilizer system! Oh my that's bad. Also, post it in the correct aspect ratio and have the ride full of people! They don't have to be guests, just employees in normal street clothes! I think it's a very poor "official" video from Cedar Point. I honestly expect better. I'm not looking for a lot of post production work, but I don't want to have to take Dramamine to watch it! Does this video make me want to ride... Not really.

Yeah, that video was pretty dull, but I thought it did a great job showing off the ride. It does look like a nice ride on the beach, I even saw some of the arms swaying! In my opinion, Cedar Point has an awesome flat ride collection, with Wind Seeker being icing on the cake. MaXair and Skyhawk are both awesome thrill rides, but they also have the older flat rides, well done! I hope to visit some time in the future, but Demon Drop will always be missed

Also, am I the only one that finds it scary that when you're at the top of Windseeker, you're higher than the spikes on Wicked Twister?! That's so dang tall!

I was iffy on this thing when they first announced it. Then as I started to realize how friggin high up you are I got excited about the height, let alone the fact that you're spinning with no floor and nothing but a chair and a lap bar . Too bad I moved from Detroit to Phoenix, looks like I'll be making a trip to Knotts to ride theirs.

I must say, rides don't really scare me anymore, but Windseeker kind of freaked me out a bit. I was actually starting to get a bit nervous as we were getting closer to the top. Just seeing the tower spiraling around as we were passing twister's towers and realized we weren't even near the top yet...the music that travels with you is really epic too...

I have a technical question about this awesome ride. The rotating carousel is raised by cables, don't know how many, but is there a redundant safety system in place such as magnetic brakes at the base of the tower, in the extremely unlikely event that those cables failed....what would happen? I would imagine there are magnetic brakes in place similar to Intamin drop towers but I don't recall reading anything about it.....that would be a fun freefall though!

Can sombody provide information on this?

Yeah I figured it would have at least 6 but wasn't sure. Extremely unlikely that all of them would fail at once as most elevators have at least 6 hoist cables so if all of them failing was 'common' elevators would be falling all over the place and that never happens, but if they did, what would happen?

Thanks.

In regards to the video. I'm pretty sure the in-air off-ride video was shot by a para-sailer, not from a guy in a helicopter.

In regards to the lift system, there are 12 cables that lift the gondola. The gondola can be supported by as few as 4 cables. Second, and I don't have confirmation on this item. But, I was told that there would also be a system in place similar to how an elevator would be stopped in the catastrophic event of cable failure.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/question730.htm

I have a technical question about this awesome ride. The rotating carousel is raised by cables, don't know how many, but is there a redundant safety system in place such as magnetic brakes at the base of the tower, in the extremely unlikely event that those cables failed....what would happen? I would imagine there are magnetic brakes in place similar to Intamin drop towers but I don't recall reading anything about it.....that would be a fun freefall though!

If you look at picture back on page 830, you can see a white fin looking object that's on the tower and starts about halfway down. It looks very similar to the kind of brakes used on Intamin Drop Towers. I'd imagine that these are exactly the same thing. So if the cables were to snap I guess it would turn into a drop tower and fall until it hit those brakes. Fun.

If you look at picture back on page 830, you can see a white fin looking object that's on the tower and starts about halfway down. It looks very similar to the kind of brakes used on Intamin Drop Towers. I'd imagine that these are exactly the same thing. So if the cables were to snap I guess it would turn into a drop tower and fall until it hit those brakes. Fun.

Spinning AND falling, how sweet would that be, until the big thud!!!!!

Spinning AND falling, how sweet would that be, until the big thud!!!!!

OMG, that actually happened to me in a dream last night...except the brakes did kick in.

That would be something to see though, a car that big freefalling and hitting those brakes.

KD's drop tower does it all the time...granted it's designed to however.

It doesnt spin while falling, only while going up. But in general, yea, same thing.

Someone mentioned what looked like a brake fin...not sure. Theres a channel that runs up the coaster that looks like it would be a brake but I remember yesterday it was a channel for a chain. The chain was in the channel sideways so it made a U shape at the bottom and the channel guided the it and kept it in place while the ride went up and down. I believe the chain is actually used to house wires and cables. Basically, a very large cable organizer. Especially since the cables need to extend all the way from the top to the bottom, when the vehicle is at the top, those cables need to be organized somehow or theyll bunch up.

Came across an interesting Windseeker video...about after a minute in, the ride gets some non uniformities going on and some extremely close calls with other pods. Not sure if this is meant to happen or not, or how 'stressful' this is on the ride's joints.

All looks fine and dandy until after a minute in. Around 1:30 in, the cars are swaying forward, backward, inward, and outward as if they were on some kind of ball joint. Much reminding me of CGA's swing ride going bonkers on an old TPR trip back in the day.