TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I headed to the park yesterday. It was a great day to go; perfect weather (75 and sunny) and short lines.

Rides include:

Mean Streak (x2) It is quite smoother now

Maverick (x1) Still as bad as ever (coaster credit only)

Mantis (x1) Also as rough as usual (also for a coaster credit only)

Magnum (x2) Classic

Iron Dragon (x1) Wish it were more like Flight Deck, but still fun

Wicked Twister (x1) One time is enough for me for a day

Blue Streak (x2) Always fun

Disaster Transport (x2) I also like the darker ride

Raptor (x5) A bit rough in spots but overall a good ride

Dragster (x2) Fun as usual

Cedar Creek (x1) Just for the coaster credit

Millennium (x20) Longest wait was about 10 min; line never went past the ramp

Flats include Power Tower (Drop side) and Skyhawk

The whole day lines were short for the most part.

Edited by coastermaniac

I'm not a big fan of Maverick; like you said, part of the reason is the restraints. They're not that comfortable and by the end of the ride (where you sit there for like 5 min) it's pushing down on my legs and tends to hurt. Also, there's too much whip-lash on the coaster; too much 'twisty' as Robb would say. I know that some people really like that but I'm not a big fan of it; maybe if they didn't put so much 'twisty' on it it would be more enjoyable. Honestly, the only good part of the ride in my opinion is the lauch in the tunnel; the rest is just ehh as well as

^ I agree with you on the restraints. I love the ride, but my neck keeps whacking the restraints during the twisty bits, and it's even worse for my fiance since it hits her in the temples. We both need some Tylenol after riding it. It may just be our body sizes. If Maverick got the restraints from I-305, it would become a lot more rerideable to me, and probably would surpass MF as my favorite in the park.

Id say dont ride like a rag doll. Its easy to see whats coming up and to anticipate it. I just lean with the turns and I suffer little to no banging on my neck (6ft tall). Riding like a ragdoll is never advisable for a OTSR ride. Youre just asking for trouble. And if youre coming here, you probably know the rides better than most and know most if not all the track. Just anticipate, itll eliminate the majority of the contact with any rides OTSRs (minus the few that are just so bad...lol)

^^Part of the problem is that I don't wear my glasses on rides, and I can't see more than about 5 feet in front of me without them. And Maverick has so many twists that I get disoriented easily. I remember the basic layout, but a lot of the time the turns catch me by surprise. If I lean back in the seat, it's not so bad. Thanks for the advice though; I'm going Saturday, and if nothing else, if the ride's too rough, I can go on Mean Streak and pop my neck/spine back in place

I'm not a big fan of Maverick; like you said, part of the reason is the restraints. They're not that comfortable and by the end of the ride (where you sit there for like 5 min) it's pushing down on my legs and tends to hurt. Also, there's too much whip-lash on the coaster; too much 'twisty' as Robb would say. I know that some people really like that but I'm not a big fan of it; maybe if they didn't put so much 'twisty' on it it would be more enjoyable. Honestly, the only good part of the ride in my opinion is the lauch in the tunnel; the rest is just ehh as well as

I'm in total agreement with your explanation. I'm not a fan of it and will only ride during ERT at Coastermania once.

I was planning on going to CP next month with a group of buddies but i had a question for y'all. One of the guys going is a pretty big guy, maybe 6'3" 270 or so. I was curious about how 'fat friendly' some of the coasters are? Especially Millennium Force/TTD, cause i heard some horror stories about them. Also, I already know Twister would probably be out of the question cause i've seen some far from large people get booted off it.

Just as a reference, we went to Kings Island last year and he was good on everything but Drop Zone.

It really depends on where the weight is. If it is stomach/thigh fat it is probably going to be difficult/impossible for him to ride Millennium and Dragster. I am 6' tall and before losing about 75 pounds, I was 235 pounds. I was just barely able to get the belt closed and the restraint into a position that was acceptable. Wicked Twister, maXair, and possibly Maverick may be difficult as well. The other coasters shouldn't be a problem except for Cedar Creak Mine Ride due to its single position lapbar. Not exactly a huge loss there though honestly. Luckily there are test seats outside pretty much all the major rides, so he will be able to definitely check to see if he'll fit and save himself any sort of embarrassment of being turned away in the stations.

Well I heard some unfortunate news this evening.... Windseeker will not be open this weekend. Whatever is wrong with it must be fairly substantial because my source said we'll be lucky if it's opened by the 4th of July. On a more positive note I heard maXair may be ready this weekend.

So I've heard that Memorial Day can be a pretty slow day at the park; can anyone confirm this from past experience?

Eh pretty hit or miss. Depending on the weather and being a new ride year (although it won't be open) it could be busy as the weather is supposed to be very nice here Monday.

I have gone on either 4 or 5 Memorial Days and only once was it anything other than dead. That day was also the only one where the weather was really nice. I'd assume there's a connection between those and say that since the weather is supposed to be pretty awesome tomorrow that many people are going to go to the park. It's a risk that could pay off if you are willing to take it, but in my experience I'd say that tomorrow will probably have a decent amount of people at the park.

This is a very bizarre and obscure question, but hopefully there's someone nerdy enough out there to know the answer.

I noticed that Mantis has the "old style" air gates where the bar that opens the gates extends to the ceiling as opposed to the mechanicals being located under the floor. Raptor (and every other coaster), however, has that newer style, despite opening two years earlier. Does this imply that Mantis was the first coaster at the park to open with air gates and the rest had them added some time after, or am I spewing utter nonsense? I couldn't find any pictures of Mantis' station, but I know Double Loop at GL had a similar setup, just for reference.

And speaking of Raptor, it was running great on Friday (and it was especially forceful in the last row!), and it's always-speedy crew was pumping out trains regularly at or just under the one-minute mark.