TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amusement Ride Breakdown!

Since the Breakdown of Insanity earlier this morning, I was wondering has anyone have an Interesting story about a time they were stuck on a ride, and what happend, Did the ride start up again, or did you have to be evacuated?

My most interesting one was being evacuated from the top of the Desperados Lift one windy day, the train had assended to the top of the hill and then it just stopped. It was nearly 15 minutes till somone came on a loudspeaker to tell us what had happend. They said someone will be coming up to let us out and we would have to climb the stairs back down. People began to freak out, but i was cool with it (im not afraid of heights) and i wish i had my camera on me (Darn!) but it was interesting getting to climb down 205 ft of stairs. (Gasps for breath)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the last train of the night on B:TR at SFMM and there were only about 8 people on the train. We got to the top of the lift and stopped. The lucky (and very tired) op had to climb all the way up to the top to press some button so we could go. There was a look of sheer frustration on his face as he climbed the steps; he was so close to freedom and then had to deal with this.

Got stuck just onto the brake-run of Nemesis: Inferno last summer. Sat there for 10/15 minutes, until they brought the evacuation steps around, and let us out on the catwalk to walk back round to the station. Not much, but you got views that you wouldn't normally see.

I remember when I got e-stopped on the brakerun going through the loop on Hulk, we weren't up there long, but when it going again, it crawled through the last part of the circuit.

Similar thing with Space Mountain at Disneyland, it stopped on one of the final brakeruns, then all the lights came on, and revealed a pretty miserable looking building! Then three guys came and pushed us off the brakes and we trundled (again very slowly) round the last part of the ride.

Well, this topic kind of already exists here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=broke

I'll go ahead and pull my story out from that topic though. It's pretty good in my opinion.

In 2001, I was on Face/Off at PKI. I was seated so that I rode it backward first and then forward. Well, as the train rolled up the second lift, I naturally fell forward on the restraint. When that happened, the restraint popped open. Aside from the incredible terror that overcame me, this was quite surprising because I'm not that big of a person. At the time, I was 5'10'' weighing in at about 160 lbs. Anyway, the safety belt of course prevented the harness from going all the way up, and in all reality, there is no way that I could have slipped out because the openings just weren't big enough, but I was definately no longer sitting in my seat. I was scared to death. The train went all the way up the lift and released. As the train went through the loop. I was able to push myself back into the seat and my harness then popped back into place. When we got back in the station, I informed the ride ops and they then shut the ride down for an hour (I was waiting in line for quite some time to ride DZ following the incident). My life was never in serious danger, but it still goes down as one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

I wasn't actually on the ride but I was in line and observed it.

I was waiting in line for Millenium Force last year, and one train stopped half way up the lift hill for about a half an hour. Another train was in the loading dock before it happened and a third train had stopped before it reached the unloading doc.

It was funny because at least a dozen maintenance men had to come and to push the third train into the unloading dock and then eventually the train on the lift started going up again.

Once I got stuck on the Revolution (Libertyland) on the lift hill. The stupid ride ops didn't evenknow what they were doing. THEY LITERALLY DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO OPERATE THE PHONE TO CALL A MECHANIC. But it was still fun getting a great view. 30 minutes later the ride started back up.

I got stuck on Top Thrill Dragster, twice!

The first time we went and when we went to unload the restraints didnt come undone. So we sat there for about 10 minutes. The employees were talking to us and keeping us calm. But I will tell you, its VERY uncomforable in those restraints that the ops practially JUMP on til they are fully locked.

The second time, we got on the ride go into the lauch pad, the train in front of us lauches. We move into position, the dragster noises are going, but we arnt lauching. So after a few minutes of dragster noises they cut off. An employee comes out by the fence and tells us to stay calm. After a few more minutes another employee came out on the catwalk and undid everyones restraint. So we walked down the catwalk and got back FIRST in line for dragster.

I got stuck on Twister II a few years ago at the very top of the lifthill. What seems like it was minutes, it was only 30seconds. It was really scarry especally 110ft above the ground.

Ive got stuck on a Skycoaster. We went half way, they came on the PA and said,"We are gona bring you down a little". It was an instant drop of probly a foot. It scared the $h!t outta me. Then we went all the way to the top and we finshed the ride.

I have three stories

One time I was at the Wisconsin State Fair and we were on Booster (carnival version of the Skyscraper or Turbo Force) and we were on the top of the ride which is almost 200 feet tall and we were up there for about 10 minutes. There was strong wind and the ride was swaying back and forth (if youve been on this you know whats it like because people have to get on both ends of the arm). Then a worker had to climb the arm to us and he said to not rock or shake the seat and not to move. Then 40 minutes later our end of the arm lowerd to the ground and we were giving VIP wrist bands to the whole fair.

Another one was at SFGAm I was on American Eagle and we got stuck on the Trim Breaks right before the big helix. After 30 Minutes A guy came climbing up out of breath and let us all out and we had the climb down the stairs and then walk on the grass field to a path that led us to the inside of the park (we were on the Red Train).

Another time I got stuck half way up the Ragin Bull and we had to climb down.

Yesterday, I was waiting in line for Superman Ultimate Flight @ SFOG, and I got right up to the station when somebody got stuck in the restraint. The ride op announced that they weren't sure how long it would take to get the ride back up and running, so my friend got out a deck of cards, and we sat down on the steps to play a game of war. Our game didn't last very long, because the ride opened back up about five minutes later. People around us were watching our card game and laughing @ us, but it was fun.

Hello everyone,

Here is my story. In the spring of 2001 my dad and I were at SFMM. We took a front seat ride on Ninja after lunch. When we hit the trim brakes just prior to the final lift hill, the train stalled. About two minutes later, we heard the screams of the Jet Stream riders coming down the last drop. A woman a few seats back from me really freaked out, saying, ”Oh my Lord! Here come the riders in the next train! Hold on!!” Apparently, this lady did not realize there are safety features that keep the other train from crashing into us.

We sat for another thirty minutes just waiting to hear from a ride op. (BTW, my dad was timing this on his watch) A man behind us got on his cell phone, to call Magic Mountain. He asked for the Ninja booth. The next thing I hear is, “Why in the hell isn’t this being taken care of?! We have been sitting here for almost forty minutes now!” Fifteen minutes later, a ride op came down the stairs on the side of the lift hill.

A few button pushes later, the train moved very slowly to the platform beneath the lift hill that takes the train back to the station. Once we came to a stop, a mechanic and a park manager greeted us. The mechanic helped each person out of their seats, while the manager cheerily handed out free one-day tickets for our next visit. We then enjoyed a nice walk up the long flight of stairs back to the station. I don’t think that the panic stricken woman enjoyed the walk. She held on to the railing so tight and was going so slow, I thought it would take another 45 minutes for her just to get back to the station.

Antonio" Hope all enjoyed my story!"G.

:orangesmile:

Here's one, well 3, on the same ride. California Screamin, once my friend and I were on the train that was next for launch it pulled up really close to the other train which I thought was wierd so after that train launched, ours pulled up even further than the one before and after sitting there for a while it started to rumble then after the countdown it shot off faster than I ever felt during the day. The next was kinda funny we were on the train that was about to launch so when the voice counted down to 1 air hissed like decompressing airbrakes and the train wouldn't move so they tried again and launched it successfully. The third was the train I was on had to stop before the helix because another was on it already, that kinda ruined the fun of the last part though because the train went through kinda slow. From what I hear and have seen that ride has alot of breakdowns. Another was on Viper at SFMM my friend got stuck in the restraint they opened it quickly. Nothing really exciting.

We got stuck for 10 minutes 5 times or so on the ET ride @ Universal Hollywood. I got more annoyed on the ride than I enjoyed it being as we stalled right where this repetative track kept playing...and got annoying real fast. My cousin got frustrated/bored/annoyed/and so on... and began chewing on the hand grips...bit a huge chunk off of it and spit it out somewhere on the ride. Finally, the ride ended and we let out a sigh of relief, happy that the ride was over. The whole constant breakdowns just completely ruined a decent darkride.

I have never been in an accident but on Sat. I was at Astroworld and

X-LR8 got stuck at the top of the lift hill for an hour and the ride workers left the people in the cart for the whole hour! Then, later, Serial Thriller got stuck at the top of the lift and was closed for the rest of the day after that.

When I went to Western Playland my favorite ride was closed. So I decided I would go to the water slide called Snake Mountain which had about a 45min-1hr waiting time. I decided to get in line. I was in line for about an hour and I was the next one in line when all of a sudden the stupid thing breaks down. The motor that brings the Dinghies back up broke down. They told us we would have to leave so I left while being really mad. I ended up going on the Himalaya and when I got off the water slide was back on with a huge line already. That got me even more mad! I felt like going to the supports and cutting them down with a chainsaw!

This is how mad I was out of 5. 5/5

How bad I wanted to chainsaw the supports out of 5.

Once on B:TR at Six Flags St.Louis I was in the very back row and as we got to the very top of the lift hill, the train came to a sudden hault. About 10 minutes later a ride op. came up and stopped by my row and looked at everyone weird in my row including me. Well, someone in my row (not me) tried to get out of their restraint and it came undone while the coaster was still moving but the seatbelt thing held it in place. Everyone in my row denied it and I didn't see any of this happen, the ride op. guy just told us what happened and he checked our restraints one last time and about 5 minutes later it started up again. Thank god that it was a nice day that day because we were pretty high. Nice views though!

I'm new also, Hey!

• 3 weeks later...

When I was riding ROTM, it kept stopping and going pitch black. I don't think it was breaking down, though, because right before the "big" drop one of the ride ops was like, "Muahahahaha!". Another one wasn't very interesting, but it was ANNOYING. The Carousel of Progress's people mover broke down so we had to watch the same scene 4 times in a row. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow was nailed into my head!