TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I need advice on a car!

I'm going to be getting my first car in less than a month and I have a question. I want to get good MPG but I'm a little bit leery of 4 cylinders. I've heard that they don't have good pick up when getting on the highway and changing lanes. I was wondering if the people that have 4 cylinders are happy with their car and does it have good pick up when you need it? I was thinking about getting a V6 until I thought about how much I will be paying for gas this summer.

I'm looking into getting a Honda Accord and I'm trying to decide if I need a V6 or would I be fine with 4 cylinders.

I will take recommendations on cars that have great safety ratings and get great MPG.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern 4-cylinder engines can have plenty of pick-up, they are not "fast", but can be quick.

As long as you stay away from a Geo Metro, you should be fine.

If you want a Honda Accord say, the new one has 160hp, now back in the day v-8's had 180hp, but had a little thing called tourqe

The honda 4 has 161lbs of tourqe, and for a four cylinder that is not bad, now that is for the brand new

don't be afraid of 4-cylinders, my next car will probably be a Chrysler PT Cruiser, and it has a 150hp 4-cylinder, and while its not fast, its all I need, and the seats come out, so I can VERY easily put my drumset in there

Find a car that fits what you need, research the car, if you want to resell the car, the American full size pick-up, and Japanese Sedans have the best resale value, if you just want something cheap, go with a korean, Hyundia tied with Honda for 2nd in initial quality, and the Hyudia Sonata is the highest quality sedan, per J.D. Powers, but they still have little resale value, or if you know what you want, and can find out about repair history, get american

There are MANY opinion on what brand to buy, but do the reaserch yourself and make your own choices

I bought a Kia Spectra and some of my friends though that I should have bought a more "proven" brand, but I have 70,000, and still have 30,000 on my warranty, and have not neede it except for one problem with the seat. I was commuting and needed a car to run into the ground, and cheap, paid 9,000 after rebates, no complaints.

I have been into cars for a long time if you have any question just PM me

You should think your lucky to live somewhere with cheap petrol and get the fuel drinking V6, Here in England I pay about $80 for only 200 miles and my car accelerates about as fast as than old people have sex

how much do you yanks pay for 200 miles?

^So true. My Ford Fiesta costs me £30/$60 to fill, and that is about as small as anything you'd get in the states.

4 cylinders though, and even at 11 years old, its still nippy enough. Not quick by any means but it definitely does the job.

A lot comes down to how much room you need in the car (Compact or Midsize) and how much you want to spend.

If you need a midsize (Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda6) you are going to pay more, and the car will be heavier. I have yet to be impressed with a 4-cylander in a non-premium midsize. I feel they do lack the "umph" for passing on the highway.

If you can live with a Compact, or your wallet is pushing you in that direction, the 4 bangers are perfectly fine. (Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Mazda3)

I wanted a sporty midsize and ended up with a Mazda6 v6 5speed. I am very happy with it. My wife wanted a compact and got the Toyota Corolla S and loves it. The Corolla is so much lighter that the 90 less horsepower makes no difference. That thing is a speedy little demon, I have never had a problem passing on the highway. I also have test driven a 4-cyl Mazda6 and was not very impressed.

But I must stress to you, like I do in every car post I make, Test Drive all of the cars you are interested in. See if you can take the Test out onto the highway where you can see how it runs at speed. Cars are some of the most expensive purchases you make during your lifetime, make sure it is the one you want. Don't just buy a car because someone else said it's good, buy it because when you drive it, you love it!

But I must stress to you, like I do in every car post I make, Test Drive all of the cars you are interested in. See if you can take the Test out onto the highway where you can see how it runs at speed. Cars are some of the most expensive purchases you make during your lifetime, make sure it is the one you want. Don't just buy a car because someone else said it's good, buy it because when you drive it, you love it!

Wow, exactly, make sure you know what you need, then research.

My Kia is perfectly fine power wise, except when I have the A/C on, try the cars with the A/C on, not that it should be a deal breaker, but for my car, if I need to pas, i turn off the A/C pass, then turn it back on

My 2002 Honda CR-V has the 160 hp 4-cylinder, and it has plenty of power. I get 24-26 mpg with it (4-speed automatic w/ overdrive), and have 63,000 miles on it.

It carries five people very comfortably and has plenty of room for stuff---even more when you fold down the back seats (actually, they tumble forward).

The only problem is finding a used one. Not many people get rid of them.

Eric

4 cyls have come a long way in the past 10 years.

i have a Grand Am Gt w/a 2.4 litre 4cyl.

I could've had it w/the 2.5 6cyl. diff in HP is like 20 horsepower.

That HP was comped when i upgraded the Exhaust, which was a dual to begin with. that increase the HP by 30 horses.

I switched out the factory air cleaner for a K&N that made a huge differance in MPG and horsepower. I get like 31 mpg combined hwy and city with this car. I use premium gas, or at least add octane boosts if i have to use lower grades.

One thing about 4 cyls, ALWAYS check fluid levels. and change the oil about every 3,000 miles. makes the engine run longer and cleaner.

btw, most of the cars in Fast and furious 1 and 2 were 4 cyls.

Alright, if your really conserned just get this

The Dodge SRT-4, (no its not technically a Neon)

it has 230hp, and 250lbs of torque

yeah its fast, VERY fast, SCARY fast

0-60mph in around 5.8 sec.

and it only $21,000

plus I'm sure there will be rebated, at least $1000

so there you go, no more probs with the four

oh, just FYI, you can upgrade the car with diffrent levels of turbo's, all installed by the dealer, and will never void your warranty, so go ahead and upgrade to the 300hp version, then you shouldn't have any problems at all

...but it really is still a neon...

Well if you want to get technical, Mercedes bought Chrysler so its a Mercedes.

And its VERY fast, I'm not sure you would consider reliability when buying a car like the SRT-4, thats not what its for.

I think its great for what it is, its not as reliable, but is basically a factory street racer

and ask your insurance agent, he won't give you the Neon rate for this car, its not a Neon

Yeah, but it's still a neon, a riced up neon, but still a neon none the less when it comes down to build quality, front wheel drive, interior materials, and styling.

Interior materials is what drove me away from the WRX. I really wanted that car on paper, but as soon as I test drove it, I knew it would be tons of fun to drive, but not for my 45 minute commute every day, partially in traffic. That's why I chose the Mazda6. For $2k less, I got a much nicer interior, fold down seats, leather and a sunroof. All which were unavailable in '03.

That is a perfect example of how actually Test Driving the cars can change your mind from what you have set in from reading reviews on the internet. Now the WRX was insanely fast and VERY fun to drive, as I am sure the SRT-4 is. Bottom line is, for the SRT-4's $20k you can get a much more reliable daily driver that does more than go fast in a straight line.

Thats pretty much what happened to us, My wife really wanted a sportier car, So we researched the cars in our price range and checked out some she was intresed in.

I remeber the look on her face when she sat in a Mustang, not the new one, the previous model, It was a look of horror, so poorly build, she Liked the Eclipse, but when she sat in and drove her Tiburon, that was it, she wanted it, so we got a 2003 Tib, and we are very happy, well she is, I rarely get to drive it, it is her car

its like this, but Dark Blue, and we did get the GT V6

Bottom line is, for the SRT-4's $20k you can get a much more reliable daily driver that does more than go fast in a straight line.

I was just offering a solution, if he was concerned about 4-cylinder power , besides I am not a fan of Neon's, but damn I read that...man that things gotta fly

I just hope American cars can be good again, its starting to look promising, but with the Korean Cars, Hyundia specifically making GREAT strides in quality, I really don't see a solid reason to buy american, unless its a full size truck, we still do those pretty well.

Oh, BTW here's my car, a 126hp Kia Spectra, Poor interior materials, but put together ok, old engine technology = no engine problem AT ALL, a good running car, that is quite boring. I have no real problems with power or passing, unless the A/C is on

Most promising American 4 cyl lately, besides an SVT Focus is the SuperCharged Chev Cobalt SS. they're starting at 19,500.00 around here. Similar to the SRT-4.

Due to the Gas prices, a lot of people are trading in 2004 and 2003 trucks and SUV's and buying 4 cyl cars. Neon, Colbalt/Cavaliers, focus's are selling like mad.

i didn't know Mustang were built bad... I hadn't heard that before.

How bad? please explain, I've been thinking of buying a 2004-2003. thanks.

Well not speaking for the brand new mustangs, but the previous model was very poorly built interior, basically you get a great engine, and thats what you pay for. I'm not saying its mechanically unsound, just poor materials and workmanship on the inside.

As for the Chevy Cobalt, I have heard some positive reviews, but am hesitant to trust another 4-cylinder GM product, as they tend to keep designs a long time, and thier four is a terrible design, lets hope they completely redid it.

The Ford focus has had I believe 17 recalls, thats far from reliable, and actually pretty sad, for a highly regarded american small car.

Chrysler will replace the neon with a Mitsubishi product, I think right now they are the american company closest to being on the right track, and you know what, they can thank Mercedes for buying them, talk about a turn around.

I drive a 96' Honda Prelude fourbanger and I love it! It's a sporty little car and the gas mileage is amazing! I usually get at least 35mpg on the highway. I've never really figured out what I get on city driving, but I think it's somewhere close to 25-30. The car is also incredibly reliable. I've never had any trouble with it. It also has a lot of get up and go. It has a lot of power for a four-cylinder. The only downfall about the car is that it only takes premium gas, but when compared to most V6s and definately V8s, the car is still cheaper because of that awesome mileage.