TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Universal Orlando Rumor...

Okay, I double checked. It’s September 1st and not April 1st. The reason is that this rumor is kind of big and may be hard for some people to swallow, but it makes perfect sense if true. Screamscape sources tell us that a preliminary deal has been signed between Universal and Blue Man Group for a permanent show location within Citywalk. Well, technically it isn’t currently within Citywalk... the plan is to completely transform the old Nickelodeon Studios building into a new theater for the Blue Man Group and build a new entrance pathway for the show building somewhere between the Hard Rock Cafe and the USF exit plaza. Of course the new building will be completely blue and the outside will be completely renovated to give it more of a presence. The show itself may be a copy of the new Las Vegas show and obviously it’s clear to see that this is being done to compete with Disney’s Cirque Do Soleil offering at Downtown Disney. From the sound of things, the new show could open by next year so things should start to happen quickly if the final contracts are signed.

Sounds like the old Nickolodeon building *could* be turned into a permanent building for the Blue Man Group. I really don't understand why they would do this...They should gut the building out and put a ride in there. Universal needs a new thrill ride.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing both shows, BMG and O by CDS in Las Vegas, I actually prefer the BMG. It was vey weird, cool, interesting, and amazing and I think UO would be making a GREAT descicion by putting this in. It would be much better than an empty lot and I think the BMG would fit perfectly in UO.

On the whole "IOA needs new rides, not USF" thing, let me just say this:

There are some very smart people high up the business world ladder who get paid a lot of money to think of things like the following:

The general public is very aware of USF (as, say, an alternative or addition to a Disney-oriented Orlando trip), but not nearly so aware of IOA. Therefore, it makes more sense to entice people into USF with new stuff, and to continue trying to make people aware of what IOA already has.

Which is to say that most Orlando visitors have either already been to USF or have no interest in going (based on what's currently there), but those same visitors simply don't know that IOA exists (or what it's all about).

So, from an advertising standpoint, USF has gotten its money out of what's already in the park, but IOA hasn't.

Which is why the new stuff goes into USF and not IOA.

If someone has never even heard of IOA, chances are they're not too serious about visiting UO to begin with. USF isn't as well-known as you'd think. Remember, the general public are stupid enough to get Universal and MGM confused on a regular basis. Don't give these people too much credit.

Also, the resort is usually marketed as a whole. When's the last time you saw a USF-only commercial that wasn't related to a new attraction?

Cirque, and now possibly BMG? What's next, Barry Manilow, then Elton John, and finally hordes of low paid workers passing out hooker cards on the streets of Citiwalk?

Scott "please leave Vegas in Vegas, thanks" B.

I agree with you there- somewhat- why have the exact same attraction in several cities- its makes them less special.

I saw the Tap Dogs- Rebooted two years ago and it was the BEST non-musical stage show I have ever seen! They don't have a permanent "home," why not put in a show like that- or even STOMP?!~

Hmm - Interesting. It might be possible but I have a hard time believing that it would be a good business decision for them. A show like that will drive people to Citywalk but not to the parks. Cirque works at WDW because it is one more amenity to keep people on property. Uni needs more in IOA - It needs something to keep people in the park longer and to keep it fresh.

Remember, the general public are stupid enough to get Universal and MGM confused on a regular basis. Don't give these people too much credit.

I don't think you give people credit enough. When it comes down to it, I'm sure who ever is planning the trip is not as arrogant as you think. And it may even be so that they don't get confused, maybe they're comparing the two.

As for BMG coming to Florida, sweet. I imagine it would be cheaper to see them there as well.

Remember, the general public are stupid enough to get Universal and MGM confused on a regular basis. Don't give these people too much credit.

I don't think you give people credit enough. When it comes down to it, I'm sure who ever is planning the trip is not as arrogant as you think.

Uhhm, who said anything about arrogance? It's ignorance. And yes, it happens dumbfoundingly often, so why should I give them credit?

I don't think you give people credit enough. When it comes down to it, I'm sure who ever is planning the trip is not as arrogant as you think. And it may even be so that they don't get confused, maybe they're comparing the two.

As for BMG coming to Florida, sweet. I imagine it would be cheaper to see them there as well.

trust me, he is giving people enough credit, I have a co-worker who's lived in Tampa Bay her whole life, been to Disney many times and had no clue what USF was about and never heard of IOA

• 3 weeks later...
Cirque, and now possibly BMG? What's next, Barry Manilow, then Elton John, and finally hordes of low paid workers passing out hooker cards on the streets of Citiwalk?

Scott "please leave Vegas in Vegas, thanks" B.

Cirque du Soleil is from and based in Quebec.

Blue Man Group is from and based in New York.

Las Vegas, like Orlando, just happens to be a great place to put a show due to the constant flow of tourists. And because they are great shows they have had success there, especially Cirque who has somehow taken over the whole freakin city with five shows at the moment, and I hear a sixth is coming soon at the Luxor now that Blue Man moved to the Venetian.

Anyway, the point is, just because both are interested in Orlando is just that it's another city for them. This isn't really Vegas getting into Orlando or Orlando getting into Vegas. It's Blue Man Group and Cirque finding another city full of tourists to bring their show to. Going from Cirque Du Soleil and Blue Man to people giving out hooker cards on the streets is the worst, dumbest, and most degrading slippery slope argument I've ever heard that makes no sense at all.

I'm super excited by this. I am a HUGE BMG fan (I have seen them four times in Chicago and am getting tickets to their show at the University of Illinois Assembly Hall for Oct. 13th! ) and I think that a BMG show would fit in very well at Citiwalk. For some reason the vibe they have just seems to fit well with the whole Citiwalk thing. I think it's a good idea.

Anywho, things could be worse... Celine Dion and Cher anyone?